2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

We're heading for a Blair v Rawlings game of chicken over pick 2. Blair would like it but doesn't want to give up too much, Rawlings would like to get rid of it for as much as he can.

Norfs need picks in this draft. They will try to sell their F1 before dealing pick 2 but they couldn't even offload that for pick 13 last week.

Blair has picks coming out of his ears. He can afford to sit back and wait.

First bloke to pick up the phone loses.
We should put our F1 on the table to try to get pick 2. Keep all our picks, don’t trade up, trade forward

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
We're heading for a Blair v Rawlings game of chicken over pick 2. Blair would like it but doesn't want to give up too much, Rawlings would like to get rid of it for as much as he can.

Norfs need picks in this draft. They will try to sell their F1 before dealing pick 2 but they couldn't even offload that for pick 13 last week.

Blair has picks coming out of his ears. He can afford to sit back and wait.

First bloke to pick up the phone loses.
I can't believe after all these years Rawlings is still there.

Reactions: 2 users
How does Lalor stack up against Rayner & Ainsworth? These players haven't been superstars, just solid core additions. I see where the love is coming from but I don't necessarily see Dustin Martin credentials, Dusty had the midfield production, a ready to go tank, a clean bill of health and wasn't hampered by soft tissue injuries. The skill set is there but piecing that all together not such a lay-down misere, therefore I leave this for pick 6 which is fair weight for a player with several question marks.
Lalor is a MID,he went forward because he came back under done,and was damaging .
Now this is the last time lm going to repeat this,but Lalor was mainly a inside mid who needed to improve his outside game,he did that after the champs last year.

Lalor has yet to do a full pre season at u18 level ,if anything very little,,his first 2 year's was because of cricket,23-24 pre season injury effected ,now his first 2 year's he wasn't injury effected which is quite surprising considering how hard he played .

Watching him in his last 2 coates matches prior to the injury match ,he was fine playing midfield ,he was building up fitness and finishing matches well.
Lalor is a elite kick elite mark for his height,elite defensive ,and his handball is very good and can get distance .

HE WONT BE THERE AT 6,,BECAUSE HE WILL BE TAKEN AT 1. :cupgold :cupgold:cupgold
He is not like Rayner or Ainsworth...Robert.

• Wow
Reactions: 17 users
I don't get your philosophy Robert.
Pick 6 is still a important pick ,Lalor is the best player imo,,but IF he was such a risk as your alluding to,why take him at all.
I will tell you why we will take Lalor ,because the Tiger's aren't stupid,and would look like the Demons when they overlooked dusty ,every player is a risk and a lot may end up injury prone,Also Lalor played coates in 22-23 without any problems.
How many games did he play each year?
Thanks for the Intel.

Reactions: 1 user
Lalor is a MID,he went forward because he came back under done,and was damaging .
Now this is the last time lm going to repeat this,but Lalor was mainly a inside mid who needed to improve his outside game,he did that after the champs last year.

Lalor has yet to do a full pre season at u18 level ,if anything very little,,his first 2 year's was because of cricket,23-24 pre season injury effected ,now his first 2 year's he wasn't injury effected which is quite surprising considering how hard he played .

Watching him in his last 2 coates matches prior to the injury match ,he was fine playing midfield ,he was building up fitness and finishing matches well.
Lalor is a elite kick elite mark for his height,elite defensive ,and his handball is very good and can get distance .

Huh ? Wrong poster old man !

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
How many games did he play each year?
Thanks for the Intel.
4 in his first year 2022 as a 15/16 year old,he was in the bottom aged team for a few games that year ,and was AA at under 16 champs.
8 last year 2023 and played 2 at the champs as a 16 year old,l think he missed soime matches because of school.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah Draper's a bit underrated on here. His traits are exactly what we need. He should really be ranked alongside the other 3 ILO.

He'll also impact games a lot earlier than say Lalor who will take a few years to get his aerobic capacity up.

Draper will play 20 games next year for whoever takes him. Reckon it will be Carlton at 3.
I’ve posted elsewhere that this is my hunch too….
Draper to Cartoon at 3 ….
If this occurs would Adelaide then try to spilt 4?!

Regards,
Stan

Bully a few questions what's your take head to the draft with our picks and maybe trade one of them for a first round in 2025 or trade up for pick 2 ?. I'm not sold on trading for 2 and what's been thrown out there. I said it before blues set the standard with 12 and 14 for 3 ,our 6 shouldn't be in discussion. This draft has so much depth and players will slide.

As for key position players when do we pull the trigger and what a you making of the depth ?
Good question, I like safety with our first pick and I want a ready to go midfielder, Smith the logical choice, Langford a good player but I'm wary about his lack of speed, it's enough to push him down ever so slightly. O'Sullivan has x-factor but is also error prone, usually off the back of trying to do too much. The ceiling is very high however, aerially he impresses me and I don't see any technical flaws with his kicking. Would he be worth trading up for? It really depends on the player mooted for pick 11, if it's a tall forward who might slip otherwise then by all means, Shanahan & Armstrong looks feasible under those circumstances.

I’ve posted elsewhere that this is my hunch too….
Draper to Cartoon at 3 ….
If this occurs would Adelaide then try to spilt 4?!

Regards,
Stan
What would be a fair trade that might interest Blair for p4? P6 and f4 or p10 and p20?
Thoughts

I saw him in a final and it's one match and he may have been carrying an injury. He was woeful. Soft.
Was that the game I saw when Simms played mostly ruck and did his ankle at the start of the 3rd qtr. I weren't impressed either but i can't make an assessment on 2 qtrs of footy where he played ruck but is a forward.

He sat out the combine so I have no idea about his running, if you are suggesting his endurance base is very good then that may vindicate the first selection, the Dusty bar around a 14 beep, I think De Goey was around 13, Rayner 11.

Cartoon gave 12 14 for 3
Pick 4 should be for 11 20
I think we should keep 20 and maybe use F2…. Maybe 11 and F2….

Allows us to use 18,20,23,24 to trade higher into next year or trade up this year or take kids that are “better on paper” than 2025.

And potentially allows us to get 2 as well.

Regards,
Stan

I am reading all this stuff and I haven't any idea as to what we are going to do. I have heard strong cases put forward for buying North's or even Adelaide's pick, and equally strong cases for not taking that course.

What seems pretty clear is that this is a going to be a great draft and there is a great equality and a lot of unknowns with a Dusty, Royce or a KB, likely to be there for us if Blair and Frank can get it right.

That given my sense is that we will have a plan, which won't include both options and that it will be to trade pick 24 on the second day of the draft.. and that will be it.

So far we have delisted 8. Coulthard and Cumberland are also likely to go while contracts for Dow and McIntosh look uncertain. Let's say 3 more will go so 11 delists in all.

The following would be great.
New: 11
Blight Gray
Draft pick 1 (Ashcroft) then Lalor;
6 Tauru then Langford;
10 and 11 Langford, Armstrong, Allan or Hotton in that order;
18 Hotton, Berry or Lindsay in that order;
20 J Whitlock or Faull in that order;
23 Any of the above in that order not yet drafted
and
24 traded to Ess for Melbourne's future first, and
pick 51 for Davidson and
psd x 1, El Nour:

Last edited:
  • Wow
If you're relying on him playing like Jeremy Cameron it's a big risk ILO.

He's a unicorn. An athletic and aerobic freak. Only Richo rivals him in players leysy has seen.

Not to mention his smarts and reading of the game, to know when and where to use himself.

Big ask for any player to try and replicate those traits and style.

Saying that, like you say he does know when to lead-up and he is a very good kick. Though Cleve Hughes was good at those two as well. :peepwall
All fair points but Armstrong has kicked bags of goals at all junior levels whereas you’re projecting a higher ceiling from Tauru who has primarily been played as a backman.
That’s a far greater risk imo.

Reactions: 1 users