2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

He's a big risk for mine. Pick 6 no problem. Won't be there probably, but 1 is just too risky for me. Good player, but so are FOS and Jags.
I don't get your philosophy Robert.
Pick 6 is still a important pick ,Lalor is the best player imo,,but IF he was such a risk as your alluding to,why take him at all.
I will tell you why we will take Lalor ,because the Tiger's aren't stupid,and would look like the Demons when they overlooked dusty ,every player is a risk and a lot may end up injury prone,Also Lalor played coates in 22-23 without any problems.

Reactions: 11 users
Given Matthew Lloyd's assesment of Armstrong being a better contested mark than the King brothers, I'm all in on pick 10 being used on a key forward, waiting for the second round seems too late, we should be grabbing 2-3 in any case. We can hold off on the defenders as Balta & Gibcus are perfectly capable of filling those slots.
I have seen Armstrong live only two times and whilst I didn't see contested marks in forward line most where on the lead but I did see him take strong grabs roaming to wing and then doubling back quickly hence the Jeremy Cameron reference.
Armstrong recorded top 10 in the Agility test just ahead of FOS.
IMO Jeremy Cameron is a great player but not reliant on contested marking.
If he was still on the board at our pick 10&11 I would take but suspect he may well be gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You quoted points as a justification though which wasn't relevant when points won't play any consideration in a trade.
Points and draft position. It’s the combination of both. They want two first rounders. We can point to the fact we would be discounting it by the equivalent of pick 61. This is called negotiation.

I have seen Armstrong live only two times and whilst I didn't see contested marks in forward line most where on the lead but I did see him take strong grabs roaming to wing and then doubling back quickly hence the Jeremy Cameron reference.
Armstrong recorded top 10 in the Agility test just ahead of FOS.
IMO Jeremy Cameron is a great but not reliant on contested marking.
If he was still on the board before our pick 10&11 I would take but suspect he may well be gone.

If you're relying on him playing like Jeremy Cameron it's a big risk ILO.

He's a unicorn. An athletic and aerobic freak. Only Richo rivals him in players leysy has seen.

Not to mention his smarts and reading of the game, to know when and where to use himself.

Big ask for any player to try and replicate those traits and style.

Saying that, like you say he does know when to lead-up and he is a very good kick. Though Cleve Hughes was good at those two as well. :peepwall

Reactions: 1 user
Points and draft position. It’s the combination of both. They want two first rounders. We can point to the fact we would be discounting it by the equivalent of pick 61. This is called negotiation.
Points are a fantasy system for matching academy or F/S. That is all it's useful for.

They will make up absolutely zero part of our negotiation with North. The word won't be mentioned.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah Draper's a bit underrated on here. His traits are exactly what we need. He should really be ranked alongside the other 3 ILO.

He'll also impact games a lot earlier than say Lalor who will take a few years to get his aerobic capacity up.

Draper will play 20 games next year for whoever takes him. Reckon it will be Carlton at 3.
Agree. Draper's ability to gather in a contest and drive out of it in the clear looks the best of the bunch.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone seen us linked to Draper at all ? I like him but I have only seen us mentioned in regard to all the top Victorian midfielders. Perhaps we are not looking at one and are confident he won’t get to 6.

Reactions: 1 users

He's a unicorn. An athletic and aerobic freak. Only Richo rivals him in players leysy has seen.

Not to mention his smarts and reading of the game, to know when and where to use himself.

Saying that, like you say he does know when to lead-up and he is a very good kick. Though Cleve Hughes was good at those two as well. :peepwall
C'mon Leysy player comparisons are thrown around all the time plays like Cripps, Dusty, Heeney etc in no way does that mean that they are going to be that player just some sort of reference.
I think we need a mobile forward not just a doofas in the goal square and quite like Armstrong, you lost me when you mentioned Clever who operated on railway tracks.

Reactions: 2 users
The one thing I will say about Draper is that he seems the most physically developed than the other mids being considered at pick one. FOS, Lawler and Jagga all look baby faced and with limited physical conditioning.

Another reason why I see Carlton nabbing him for that instant sugar hit and the reason they were keen on pick 2 or 3 to get ahead of the crows at pick 4.

The Jermey Cameron thing is a big call, I agree. Mobile forwards tho, not so much a new concept. Could he play like Tex Walker? Could he play like Charlie Curnow? Could he play like peak Jack Darling? There's some hybrid model of all these blokes that Armstrong could fill. I think there is a clearly defined role for him as key forward or number two mobile forward. It's not a stretch. There is a clear role for Armstrong.

Reactions: 1 users
My spanner in the discussion is I want Jagga at #1 and Armstrong at #6 (if he is still available) then we use #10 and #11 to pick the best remaining two mids available (and there will be quality there waiting for us). That gives us 3 mids and the best KPF available in the first 11 picks. We then have 4 more picks where we target small forwards, another KPP or two or another mid perhaps.

My rationale is that this draft runs very deep with quality midfielders.

I am still to be convinced on the flying Viking - I don’t know why and I could be wrong but I reckon he is the biggest stretch out of the first top 10 which is why the speculation exists around trading #2.

Fair enough. Even combining with TT brings question marks to our mix ILO.

And we're talking pick 6 here - There is every chance one of Jagga, Draper or The Viking are there. Be hard to take Langford ahead of any of them.

There are not a lot of genuine mids with toe this draft. Draper, Smith, Lindsay that's about it.

Then you move to sorta hybrids who might or might not be full time midfielders in time - Berry, Hotton, Hynes.

It's not just pace though, sorta think he lacks a bit of class and evasiveness as well. Covers the ground ok once up and going but doesn't really have a step or agile. Prefer to take say Xavier Lindsay.

This is Lindsays last game before getting injured in the second quarter - against Langford. Beats him almost every time.

Open question - why would you take Langford ahead of Lindsay?

Both long left foot kicks. Reckon Lindsay slightly better, more piercing over shorter distances.

Both win loads of footy

Langford better overhead.

Lindsay more versatile - equally at home half back/forward.

Lindsay a lot quicker, has burst and a great step.

Prefer him TBH.
Interesting take Leysey. Personally I'd go for Langford's 33 disposals and 4 goals against Lindsay's 11 possession game (injury notwithstanding). Langford already had 3 goals by then.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
The one thing I will say about Draper is that he seems the most physically developed than the other mids being considered at pick one. FOS, Lawler and Jagga all look baby faced and with limited physical conditioning.

Another reason why I see Carlton nabbing him for that instant sugar hit and the reason they were keen on pick 2 or 3 to get ahead of the crows at pick 4.
Seems to have a real competitive edge to him , bit in the Selwood mode

I don't get your philosophy Robert.
Pick 6 is still a important pick ,Lalor is the best player imo,,but IF he was such a risk as your alluding to,why take him at all.
I will tell you why we will take Lalor ,because the Tiger's aren't stupid,and would look like the Demons when they overlooked dusty ,every player is a risk and a lot may end up injury prone,Also Lalor played coates in 22-23 without any problems.
How does Lalor stack up against Rayner & Ainsworth? These players haven't been superstars, just solid core additions. I see where the love is coming from but I don't necessarily see Dustin Martin credentials, Dusty had the midfield production, a ready to go tank, a clean bill of health and wasn't hampered by soft tissue injuries. The skill set is there but piecing that all together not such a lay-down misere, therefore I leave this for pick 6 which is fair weight for a player with several question marks.

Reactions: 3 users
We're heading for a Blair v Rawlings game of chicken over pick 2. Blair would like it but doesn't want to give up too much, Rawlings would like to get rid of it for as much as he can.

Norfs need picks in this draft. They will try to sell their F1 before dealing pick 2 but they couldn't even offload that for pick 13 last week.

Blair has picks coming out of his ears. He can afford to sit back and wait.

First bloke to pick up the phone loses.

Reactions: 6 users
How does Lalor stack up against Rayner & Ainsworth? These players haven't been superstars, just solid core additions. I see where the love is coming from but I don't necessarily see Dustin Martin credentials, Dusty had the midfield production, a ready to go tank, a clean bill of health and wasn't hampered by soft tissue injuries. The skill set is there but piecing that all together not such a lay-down misere, therefore I leave this for pick 6 which is fair weight for a player with several question marks.
Bully a few questions what's your take head to the draft with our picks and maybe trade one of them for a first round in 2025 or trade up for pick 2 ?. I'm not sold on trading for 2 and what's been thrown out there. I said it before blues set the standard with 12 and 14 for 3 ,our 6 shouldn't be in discussion. This draft has so much depth and players will slide.

As for key position players when do we pull the trigger and what a you making of the depth ?