2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So Smillie did a 6:38 2km at the Combine, only 10-15 seconds behind the likes of FOS, Jagga and Langford. 3.09 for 20 makes him slower than FOS and Jagga (we knew that) but easily quicker than Langford (we probably knew that too). Top-10 in the standing vertical - good indicator of power.
Yep

Been saying for a while that there are no issues with his endurance

Reactions: 1 user
So Smillie did a 6:38 2km at the Combine, only 10-15 seconds behind the likes of FOS, Jagga and Langford. 3.09 for 20 makes him slower than FOS and Jagga (we knew that) but easily quicker than Langford (we probably knew that too). Top-10 in the standing vertical - good indicator of power.
I wouldn't want to touch on any taboo topics, spook, but Smillie when fully submerged might displace 100kg of water in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 user
These phantoms are probably not worth bothering with at the moment.
Cal Twomey seems to get his top 10 very close every year but I suspect that it from the contacts he has than any great player insight.

Reactions: 3 users
Herd mentality kicking in?
Reid has been a top rated player all year.
Was one of the best in the champs.
Some posters here inc Scoop and SA have been big fans all year.

So i dont think its sudden or surprising. Reid should go top 10

Reactions: 1 users
Are we buying the very steady scuttlebutt that we're into Smillie? It's been around for a couple of weeks. Probably something in it.

I'd be happy with either 10 or 11, but reckon there is big risk with him. Not many of these very tall mids make it in the middle, his yo-yo was pretty poor suggesting his tank isn't there, and his marking doesn't seem good enough to make a key spot his own. Work a risk with our 3rd or 4th I reckon as upside is huge, but the risk is also significant. Prefer to use our 1st 2 on less risky prospects.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing like Salem. Reid is a pure midfielder.

Time stops when he has the ball in hand. Foot skills elite. Exactly what you need in a midfield set up.

Looking more closely at the talent available, I am out for getting pick 2. Must keep pick 6, 10 & 11 at all costs.

Giving up pick 6 & 10 could cost us a Langford/Reid/Berry combo.
Salem was a mid as a junior too.
Will he make it as a starting mid in a top 4 side is the question.

My concerns.
Lots of flick passing out into space. Lack of body pressure. Not highly active defensively. Low athletic traits.

But who knows, i sure dont.

• Dislike
These phantoms are probably not worth bothering with at the moment.
Cal Twomey seems to get his top 10 very close every year but I suspect that it from the contacts he has than any great player insight.

Yep when he pivots to his phantom close to the draft (i.e. from intel not observation) it will change quite a bit.

Anyone concerned with Smllie's aerial ability for his height? He has a great leap but doesn't seem to use it well from the games I've seen. But maybe I've been watching the wrong games.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd be happy with either 10 or 11, but reckon there is big risk with him. Not many of these very tall mids make it in the middle, his yo-yo was pretty poor suggesting his tank isn't there, and his marking doesn't seem good enough to make a key spot his own. Work a risk with our 3rd or 4th I reckon as upside is huge, but the risk is also significant. Prefer to use our 1st 2 on less risky prospects.
At 10 & 11 there will also be great alternatives.
Lindsay - awesome kick, speed, movement in traffic
Allen - speed, size, defensive traits, good kick and bwa
Plus Berry Hotton
Those 4 before Smillie

Yep

Been saying for a while that there are no issues with his endurance

It's promising he ran a good 2km. But he needs to show it in games. His lack of link-up play and inability to get from contest to contest is pretty noticable.

He is getting to a draft range that bring him into consideration though.

I can see your pots on Smillie, MrP. I'm coming right around on Smillie but that may be his damnation.

If Tombie would post his bloody tips instead of his opinions we wouldn't have to do this but the bastard is sitting on his scoop! That board is god.

Anyways Smillie has been linked to RFC. Persistent jungle drums. RFC at 6. Might be something to it.

Meanwhile where the *smile* is Tombie with some actual scoop? The next board will be very close.

Sorry mate but I’m with ya on this bloke , has a bit of athleticism on the other highly rated big fellas , that hang and cluck is special , obviously playing juniors at the back half makes it look a bit better however his judgment of getting the ball at its highest point has forward written all over him .

Would you pull trigger at 6 ?

Any mids you would take before the Minnesota?

Getting back to answering this for you Corn Chips.

Taking out father-sons/NGA - Have him pegged at 5 behind the big four mids (Jagga, FoS, Lalor, Draper).

But he is well clear of next one at 6 though ILO.

If we keep 6, am hoping recruiters with the early picks see it differently so he (or one of the above) get through to us at that pick.

Not convinced they will though.

He is becoming a good pick at 6 or 10.

Reactions: 5 users