2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

On Smith. Josh Francou? That’s the type imo.
He looks better than Francou, I'm thinking a version of Craig Lambert who kicks with more precision, although Lambert was one of the best handballers I've seen in yellow and black along with Paul Broderick.

In choosing between Jagga & Langford I'm inclined to pick the player who suits the times, most of the elite midfielders are below the 186cm mark, something of a contrast to 10-15 years ago where the trend was tall Josh Kennedy types. Smaller frames are back - Daicos, Butters, Brayshaw, Warner, Serong, Parish, Neale, Rowell, Miller etc.

I don't foresee any issues with strength, if you look at Jagga's hips and legs you can see core strength, he'll stand up in tackles no problems, very Gavin Wanganeen like body with a low centre of gravity.

His build-up has also been flawless, senior bodies not an issue, VFL form outstanding, I'm struggling to find any reasons not to pick him.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I would, 6 and 11 feels a bit high, 6 and 18 feels a little low. If the draft is as even as everybody (including me) says it is, you can throw a blanket over 11 to 18. The question is less how high the pick, and more 'are we willing to give up a mid to late first to be guaranteed our top two men?'

Yes for me.
It's even but that doesn't mean it's the same. At 11 you're picking one of Allan, Berry, Lindsay, Hotton, Travaglia, Armtstrong. They're all gone by 18, with the unlikely but possible exception of Hotton. Port at 13, Dogs at 17 both likely after small forwards. GWS with 15 and 16 love small forwards but might have enough for now. Freo at 14 have the luxury of picking the best player but probably keen on Allan.

18 is where the talls come into it. Norfs and us will both be after one so I'd be holding firm on 6 & 23 until or unless it's clear that won't cut it. 6 & 18 max but fight hard for 6 & 20.

Reactions: 6 users
Its an incredible achievement. To win it so young on its own is incredible. He's a superstar. (Daicos will be fuming)
Just on Ashcroft’s physical prowess, snake, at 19yo, he once, while stationary, stood up in a tackle and with a hoola hoop movement of his upper torso threw his assailant into the second tier of the opposite stand. He is an animal.

Reactions: 1 users
6 and 11 is very realistic. If we get it for 6 and 20 we have stolen it.
Normally i would agree but North are potentially keen sellers. They allegedly want a player who should be there at 6- if he is their 1st preference getting 6 and anything is better than using pick 2.
We shouldnt be desperate buyers- yes we might be pretty keen on 2, but i dont think we would be too upset if we stay with 6.

And i dont see them getting a better offer.

Of course whole idea probably depends on North having Tauru as their 1st preference. If they are just choosing the best mid then 6 and 11 is probably needed. and may still not be enough.

My preference would be 6 & 18 for 2 and North's F2.

Reactions: 4 users
Jagga and Draper with our first 2 picks would add amazing zip, burst and clearance work to our midfield. These 2 are competitive beasts and the 2 purest mids in the draft. Could this be an option for us? In saying that would also love Lawler and FOS. Not sure any of the 4 would fall to 6. Tough choices lie ahead.

Reactions: 3 users
18 is where the talls come into it. Norfs and us will both be after one so I'd be holding firm on 6 & 23 until or unless it's clear that won't cut it. 6 & 18 max but fight hard for 6 & 20.

This is my take also and that is only if Blair and his team compelling think they have identified their ideal combo, although they may be rated pretty evenly as individuals they might have their dream combination (Dusty & Cotch would be nice or an alternate Batman & Robin :cool: )

Demons could trade pick 9 for 15/16 with the Giants and use 5 and 16 to trade up to 2. That’s better than 6 and 20

They could but on Trade radio their list boss said the main reason they traded their F1 for pick 9 was they wanted to get another pick in the top 10 to add another elite player. Of course that can change if a deal suits their purpose.

Heck, we could offer GWS pick 10 for 15&16 and then on trade 6 and 16 by virtue of having an extra pick at our disposal to trade.

We would improve from 6 to 2 but rise from 10 to 15
Still would have 1, 2, 11, 15, 18, 20, 23, 24
Doesn't look all that different to our current hand 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24

If the dees did that deal they would have pick 2, then a gap to 15

Reactions: 2 users
Having just said 6 & 18 max, if Norf refuses to deal for anything other than 6 & 11, and they ring us when they're on the clock at pick 2, last 30 seconds type thing, and offer pick 2 and their F1 for 6, 11 and our F2, I'd probably do it.

1, 2, 10, 18, 20, 23, 24 and already two picks in the 2025 first round.

FOS, Lalor, Allan/Hotton, two Whitlocks, Hannaford/Dattoli. Then trade 24 back for a later pick and a third 2025 first-rounder. Pick up a bargain at pick 40 or whatever.

It's even but that doesn't mean it's the same. At 11 you're picking one of Allan, Berry, Lindsay, Hotton, Travaglia, Armtstrong. They're all gone by 18, with the unlikely but possible exception of Hotton. Port at 13, Dogs at 17 both likely after small forwards. GWS with 15 and 16 love small forwards but might have enough for now. Freo at 14 have the luxury of picking the best player but probably keen on Allan.

All fair enough, except the price. I'd do it for 6 and 18, at 6 and 11, on the fence but I'll back Blair and his team to make the call.

Part of my view is based on the fact its North. Dumb as dogshit. They could cave at 6 and 20, or they could hold firm at 6 and 11 and force us to make a very hard call. I'd say we have worked how much we are willing to pay and will stick to that, whatever it is.

I have no idea. If we do it, top dollar or cheap, it may be a masterstroke or a clanger that is talked of in Pav/ Fiora terms until the day we die. (actually the swag of picks will probably, rightly or wrongly, soften the blow). Dodged a bullet or cheap at twice the price? I don't have a crystal ball and can see the merits of both choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Jagga and Draper with our first 2 picks would add amazing zip, burst and clearance work to our midfield. These 2 are competitive beasts and the 2 purest mids in the draft. Could this be an option for us? In saying that would also love Lawler and FOS. Not sure any of the 4 would fall to 6. Tough choices lie ahead.

Yeah Draper's a bit underrated on here. His traits are exactly what we need. He should really be ranked alongside the other 3 ILO.

He'll also impact games a lot earlier than say Lalor who will take a few years to get his aerobic capacity up.

Draper will play 20 games next year for whoever takes him. Reckon it will be Carlton at 3.

Reactions: 8 users
Normally i would agree but North are potentially keen sellers. They allegedly want a player who should be there at 6- if he is their 1st preference getting 6 and anything is better than using pick 2.
We shouldnt be desperate buyers- yes we might be pretty keen on 2, but i dont think we would be too upset if we stay with 6.

And i dont see them getting a better offer.

Of course whole idea probably depends on North having Tauru as their 1st preference. If they are just choosing the best mid then 6 and 11 is probably needed. and may still not be enough.

My preference would be 6 & 18 for 2 and North's F2.
That's 6 and 18 for 2 and say future 24. They'd have to be absolute desperados to do that, but stranger things have happened, and its North.

All fair enough, except the price. I'd do it for 6 and 18, at 6 and 11, on the fence but I'll back Blair and his team to make the call.

Part of my view is based on the fact its North. Dumb as dogshit. They could cave at 6 and 20, or they could hold firm at 6 and 11 and force us to make a very hard call. I'd say we have worked how much we are willing to pay and will stick to that, whatever it is.

I have no idea. If we do it, top dollar or cheap, it may be a masterstroke or a clanger that is talked of in Pav/ Fiora terms until the day we die. (actually the swag of picks will probably, rightly or wrongly, soften the blow). Dodged a bullet or cheap at twice the price? I don't have a crystal ball and can see the merits of both choices.

No way would Leysy be doing 6 & 11 for 2 in this draft.

Would you trade FoS for two of the next batch - Any combo of Tauru, Langford, Smillie, Berry, Travaglia, Allan etc.

Would much prefer two of those on our list Vs One FoS.

Then you have the chance Jagga or maybe even Draper get through to 6 as well.

Reactions: 7 users

Would you trade FoS for two of the next batch - Any combo of Tauru, Langford, Smillie, Berry, Travaglia, Allan etc.

Fair enough, how about 6 and 18?

He looks better than Francou, I'm thinking a version of Craig Lambert who kicks with more precision, although Lambert was one of the best handballers I've seen in yellow and black along with Paul Broderick.

In choosing between Jagga & Langford I'm inclined to pick the player who suits the times, most of the elite midfielders are below the 186cm mark, something of a contrast to 10-15 years ago where the trend was tall Josh Kennedy types. Smaller frames are back - Daicos, Butters, Brayshaw, Warner, Serong, Parish, Neale, Rowell, Miller etc.

I don't foresee any issues with strength, if you look at Jagga's hips and legs you can see core strength, he'll stand up in tackles no problems, very Gavin Wanganeen like body with a low centre of gravity.

His build-up has also been flawless, senior bodies not an issue, VFL form outstanding, I'm struggling to find any reasons not to pick him.
You gotta trust your eye, bully. Your eye has been very reliable for years now.

I agree with your comparison of body type - Smith = Wanganeen. Good spot. Smith doesn't break tackles at all and has no explosive pace but in his shape is enough strength to hold his own.

Craig Lambert's handball was easily league leading at the time. His ability to dive into a pack and rifle out a handball 10m to a team mate nobody else knew was on the park is historic. Craig Lambert's ball use is perhaps the most underrated in history. I struggle to think of one as good even now. We won unwinnable ball and used with genius at his best.

Broderick's ability to rifle a handball through the traffic and often forward was all class. Glamour stuff. Vision. Aggression and speed of use.

Smith has no glamour use. That's not who he is IMO. But he can clear it. Cripps, Liberatore, Neale, Daicos, Serong got 7.6-8CL a game this year. I don't see other resemblances to Smith in them. Francou peaked at 7.8 before he did his knee. That's the guy Smith reminds me of. Could Smith be Daicos? Doesn't break lines. But if he could, maybe.

Smith's weaknesses and limitations are about direction of running, direction of ball use and pack positioning IMO. Francou was okay in these departments at his best. And 7.8CL a game.

Reactions: 6 users
Not without a F2 coming back. Even then not convinced.
Wow. For me its simply a matter of how much we want pick 2. We may not even want it, we may want it but have a firm bottom line, we may want it so much we'll pay a headline-grabbing premium.

IF we rate someone very highly at 2 and hence want it, you'd do 6 and 18 in a heartbeat.

I'm not poo pooing anyones views, we all have them and the discussion is interesting and enjoyable, but ultimately we are all enthusiastic amateurs. I've done a very small amount of game coding a few years ago, very small amount and in my spare time, its a very demanding time consuming skillful (not that I am that) task.

We go to a couple of games, watch a few replays, a few highlights, its a world away. The pros have experience, expertise, time, and a team and a network. We have our views but the pros will make the call based on their pro judgement.

Reactions: 5 users

Everything is a punt.
Would you rather Cotch or Myers/Veszpremi? 😅 ;)
Time will tell.