2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Don't reckon we will take many probably 1, 2 at most.
I wouldn't mind taking Whitlock (f/r), Shanahan (kf) & Faull (kf), I don't think that's excessive, we also need some ruck depth and I believe Whitlock has the skills to be serviceable in that area.

I also think you are selling Langford short a little, I have him at 3 in my rankings, he's not a plodder, Smillie fits that description and is probably the player I would avoid with a top 10 pick.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think a quality more small stay-at-home forward is on our radar? I see this as a significant list weakness. Cumbo & Coulthard on the chopping block, still not convinced on Rioii being our primary, consistent goal-scoring small, Green not yet proven although looks promising. Am thinking of a Bolton replacement.

I wouldn't mind taking Whitlock (f/r), Shanahan (kf) & Faull (kf), I don't think that's excessive, we also need some ruck depth and I believe Whitlock has the skills to be serviceable in that area.

I also think you are selling Langford short a little, I have him at 3 in my rankings, he's not a plodder, Smillie fits that description and is probably the player I would avoid with a top 10 pick.

Could end up with too many talls in that case and nowhere to train them, similar to why he had to send OHB into the minor leagues.

You'd think, subject to fitness Lynch and Kosi start as your tall forwards, maybe Balta if we are ok down back, leaving for the 2's, Gray, Fawcett, Ryan and the 3 you mention above. Not sure how we fit them all into 1 VFL team, someone would sit out which is awful for development.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't be surprised if we go Langford at #1

I think Lalor will slide. Massive risk only a handful of games each of the last 3 years.
Prodigious talent if he can get on the park.

#6 if we take Langford @ 1 we should get the best mid with speed.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Two slow midfielders added to the slowest midfield. Not a good mix ILO.
Both very different to what we have. Firstly both are far better users of the footy then say Tarranto and Hopper. Langford has the added flexibility to push forward as a marking option. Reid far more accomplished on the outside. Again vastly different to what we have.

IMO I look for what players have shown on a football field then running in straight lines over 20m.

You’re correct that we would never really know, however anyone who has been in business and negotiated deals would understand that compromises and creativity are key elements to get things over the line.
If Blair had to agree not to take Allen before West Coast to get the Baker deal over the line, do you not think he’d do it?
Think you’d be very naive to believe it doesn’t happen
I'm in the business of negotiating deals, there is another golden rule: get. It. In. Writing. Like I said, who knows. We can only go by what's in front of us.
We have a long record of bidding.
There is a strong incentive, financial and cultural, not to bid at one.
Blair has a formline of integrity, playing it straight, unlike some others.
He clearly stated he would bid if circumstances dictate.

I'm not having a go and not interested in a long debate, you could be correct, I'm just presenting the counter argument.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'd be happy with either 10 or 11, but reckon there is big risk with him. Not many of these very tall mids make it in the middle, his yo-yo was pretty poor suggesting his tank isn't there, and his marking doesn't seem good enough to make a key spot his own. Work a risk with our 3rd or 4th I reckon as upside is huge, but the risk is also significant. Prefer to use our 1st 2 on less risky prospects.
Agree. And more importantly the games played this year, shows he doenst impact on the field enough to warrant selection ahead of others. Where is his upside? I cant see it.

Reactions: 1 user
the more tapes you watch the less certain you are on who we should pick. no real stand outs but alot to like. Watched Cooper Hynes for the first time and I want him also.

Could end up with too many talls in that case and nowhere to train them, similar to why he had to send OHB into the minor leagues.

You'd think, subject to fitness Lynch and Kosi start as your tall forwards, maybe Balta if we are ok down back, leaving for the 2's, Gray, Fawcett, Ryan and the 3 you mention above. Not sure how we fit them all into 1 VFL team, someone would sit out which is awful for development.
Lynch will probably miss half a season, Kosi is pure back-up and can be thrown around the park on a needs basis. Ryan isn't a forward, the sooner we accept that fact the quicker we can move forward.

Don't be surprised if we go Langford at #1

I think Lalor will slide. Massive risk only a handful of games each of the last 3 years.
Prodigious talent if he can get on the park.

#6 if we take Langford @ 1 we should get the best mid with speed.
Langford is class and probably the best kick in the draft. love how he kicks bullets across his body off one step. If he was quicker he'd be number 1.

Reactions: 5 users
I also
Lynch will probably miss half a season, Kosi is pure back-up and can be thrown around the park on a needs basis. Ryan isn't a forward, the sooner we accept that fact the quicker we can move forward.

Jack Whitlock looks a promising Ruck\Forward.

Langford is class and probably the best kick in the draft. love how he kicks bullets across his body off one step. If he was quicker he'd be number 1.
I think he is right in the mix because he can play forward from round 1 2025

I also

Jack Whitlock looks a promising Ruck\Forward.
Yes I agree, paired with Faull or Shanahan would be a good mix. It was interesting on Gettable today that Twomey said he wouldn’t pay anymore than 6 or 18 for pick 2. Also clubs have already started asking questions about our later picks. He said we we were in a very good position to get some great deals done 😊

Reactions: 2 users
Whilst everyone will have their opinion whoever our professional recruiters select at any pick, just remember it’s not wrong until it’s wrong & it’s going to take a few years to establish that.