2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Start reaching for talls early because it's suits a theoretical list build is how you end up with McArtin over Petracca.
I'm a bit confused, we have a ridiculous hand this year, spending a few picks in the twenties is hardly reaching, St Kilda were also given the chance to trade down which they should have done, they could have picked Lever or Wright in addition to McCartin. That was the play if you're overlooking Petracca, pick 1 was a reach but it wasn't the only avenue to stocking up on talls.

Reactions: 1 users
Whilst everyone will have their opinion whoever our professional recruiters select at any pick, just remember it’s not wrong until it’s wrong & it’s going to take a few years to establish that.
But that simply leaves us a few years to argue that our opinions are better than there's. That's the beauty of opinions, they're neither right nor wrong until there's an established n proven fact. Until then it's all about shouting your opinion louder than the dopey bugger who's opinion doesn't match yours.

• Haha
  • Love
I'm also concerned about the endurance, no numbers to analyse, Rayner & Ainsworth never took it to the next level, therefore do you pay a premium for a forward flanker?

I trust Francis Jackson, that trust will extend to Lalor in this instance but I'm wary - the club insisted RCD could run despite an 11 beep, Hopper was meant to be past his PCL injuries, Yarran was expected to recover from his personal issues. Due dilligence hasn't always been on point, I'm hoping this is a Selwood/Judd scenario.
You don't need the combine to see if player's have endurance,just watch how they run out matches,Lalor is fine.
RCD was always a better player in the first half of matches ,then fade away in the second half .

Reactions: 1 user
This is the age old strategy and I'd be on board. We are in a complete list rebuild. Get the talls early and give them the time that they need to grow. Add the smalls later. Dont know much about the relative merits of each of the tall options. But if there are three then take them. Two minimum
That age old strategy is a myth- the Hawls are always held up as the example. They added Roughead and Franklin to a list that had Hodge, Mitchell, Bateman, Sewell and Osborne.
They started their rebuild by trading out their best KP player in Croad.

We do need to add talls, but we need class all over the ground. We should grab at least 1, but not by reaching because we think we have to.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Lynch "could" miss half a season or he plays the full year. I didn't even mention Bauer and Lefau (when back from injury) and potentially we could play Brown forward again as he showed a lot at the end of the year.

Agree Ryan is a ruck, but its another tall spot that we can only have so many playing AFL and VFL footy at the same time.

Reckon we take max 2 talls, especially if they are forwards or rucks. Potentially we could take another key back. It could be why some have us taking the Whitlock twins, 1 for each end of the ground.
Agree 2 talls, the viking would be great and then a bigger framed player

Don't be surprised if we go Langford at #1

I think Lalor will slide. Massive risk only a handful of games each of the last 3 years.
Prodigious talent if he can get on the park.

#6 if we take Langford @ 1 we should get the best mid with speed.
Mate his only injury issues have been this year,and probably most where caused from pushing himself tooooo hard and coming back toooo soon.
He was 15 in 2022,played for his local team,then to the rebels bottom team,then to Vic Country for the u16 champs,were he was AA.,,then played 4 games in the main Rebels team.
2023 Played 8 Main Rebels matches, 2 u18 champs matches as a 16 year old,also school football,,also was played district cricket ,and played junior state cricket.
2024 we all know.

The other thing is Lalor is quite quick.

Reactions: 3 users
Mate his only injury issues have been this year,and probably most where caused from pushing himself tooooo hard and coming back toooo soon.
He was 15 in 2022,played for his local team,then to the rebels bottom team,then to Vic Country for the u16 champs,were he was AA.,,then played 4 games in the main Rebels team.
2023 Played 8 Main Rebels matches, 2 u18 champs matches as a 16 year old,also school football,,also was played district cricket ,and played junior state cricket.
2024 we all know.

How did he go in year 9 economics?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't mind taking Whitlock (f/r), Shanahan (kf) & Faull (kf), I don't think that's excessive, we also need some ruck depth and I believe Whitlock has the skills to be serviceable in that area.

I also think you are selling Langford short a little, I have him at 3 in my rankings, he's not a plodder, Smillie fits that description and is probably the player I would avoid with a top 10 pick.
Fawcett from last years draft I got hopes in Bully and the kid we got from Essendon vfl. Certainly atleast 2 KP players.

Reactions: 1 user
2024 we all know.

Massive talent...no question.
Has he shown he has the dedication to get fit and play week in and week out contributing to a team role?
He is confident in his abilities which is good. However it also raises the question wether he can apply himself to the task at hand over the long haul.

Totally agree. These types need to be high on our list. All the above bar Gross who's solid tough player but a bit slow for the role would be good.

Reckon one you missed Berry will be the best though. Hannaford next ILO.
I have Berry pegged as one. Good one to get with one of our picks in the teens.

Based on his output over the last 3 seasons with minimal games and his fitness levels way below professional level Lalor is a huge risk. Prodigious talent.
Every player is a risk,,just look at ours with Gibcus,Fawcett,McAuliffe ,injuries happen.when you play AFL.
I think you are clutching at straws about his fitness in his first 2 year's ,ffs he was playing good level cricket over the summer,,,he was deciding between cricket and football.

Lalors upside is huge,more than most.

Reactions: 3 users