2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Pick 2 for pick 6 & 11 is fair weight, in North's shoes I would be open to that deal but pick 20 would be well unders, they would almost certainly get better offers.

If we are trading up for Lalor then I would hope there will be some due diligence with the hamstrings, Nathan Freeman is a worst case scenario and two first rounders a hefty price to pay.

In a normal draft yes, but we have seen significant premiums to trade into the 9-27 area of the draft (based on picks traded) but only marginal premiums paid to get Pick 3. Yes you could say some of that was West Coast were trying to do the right thing by us and got pushed into a corner, but it also indicates that the premium to buy up is in that slightly later area, and not as big premiums will be paid for the top 3 picks like we have seen offered in previous drafts.

With no clear standouts (even now the top 3 for most people is a bit variable) and Norths desire to trade down to balance their list, it makes sense that the premium wouldn't be as high as normal years. 6 and 18 for me is what gets it done.

Reactions: 4 users
I have no idea what would get us pick 2, but I wouldn't be happy including 10 or 11 in the deal but 6 and 18, sure.

Going on their being a slight chance Jagga drops to 6, (or the potential of getting Draper or Langford) would ppl be happy swapping him and pick 18 for whoever we are likely looking at with 2, say, FOS?

THE ‘BORN LEADER’ LEANING ON ADVICE FROM CRIPPS

josh-s-jpg.24743

Big-bodied midfielder Josh Smillie has revealed he leant on advice from a two-time Brownlow Medal winner this year as he battled “some challenges” after entering the season as a highly-touted No. 1 draft pick contender.

Smillie met with Carlton star Patrick Cripps earlier in the year and made notes from the conversation, which he continually went back and reflected on.

A 195cm onballer, the 18-year-old has drawn comparisons to Cripps and Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tom Green, two players who he watches closely.

“I’d want to be half the player Patrick Cripps is now,” Smillie said.

“He’s the best player in the game at the moment. I really look up to those two (Cripps and Green) just because they’re big-bodied midfielders and I watch all the work that they do and try and implement it in my game.”

Smillie’s form was a little up and down at times this year, not helped by some minor injuries and illness.

He was required to spend significant time outside of the midfield during the under-18 national championships with Vic Metro, including roles in attack and defence.

“I’m very versatile so I can play any position and I grew up playing any position,” Smillie said.

“I can go forward or play across half back, but the midfield is my primarily position.

“The year’s done and you reflect on your year. You take out some negatives but you also want to look at the positives. If you said last year I’d be in the position I am now, I’d be pretty proud of this year so far.”

Smillie captained the Eastern Ranges in the Coates Talent League this year as well as serving as skipper of the AFL Academy team in two exhibition matches earlier this season.

Alongside his power and ball-winning abilities, leadership is another key trait that he prides himself on.

“I was raised from my parents being a real leader and a careful person to others,” Smillie said.

“Leadership is something I take pretty seriously. I’m a very caring person that likes to put others before me and see them succeed. It’s just something I’ve grown up with and it just comes natural.”
IMO Thats Cartoon pick 3 right there

That's the one stand out issue regarding the draft for me. They're basically 18 y.o. kids n we're projecting to what they will be when they're all grown up at
22 y.o.
Jagga's one of the oldest kids in the draft Jan birthday, he's had the school year already finished n dedicated himself to improving his footy as much as possible all year. He's a top line 18 y.o. and will more than likely be a very good senior AFL player, but where is his ceiling? Has he got another 10% to 15% growth to his game or is there another 20% maybe 25% growth to his game?
For me he's maybe been that little bit to consistently reliable n good where kids are supposed to be a bit patchy n all over the shop at times. Brilliant one minute n *smile* wit the next, until they find that bit of mature balance.
I see a lot of Shane Edwards with Jagga. Standout agility and vision in close. He’s a point of difference. That’s what I’d be drafting for. Those traits are excellent by themselves and then there’s his proven ability to find it at every level he’s played at. Against one of the best midfielder drafts in the last 20 years! Why second guess what’s right there for a might be with injuries or a might be who’s slow or a might be he can’t find the ball. I don’t get it.

Reactions: 5 users
I see a lot of Shane Edwards with Jagga. Standout agility and vision in close. He’s a point of difference. That’s what I’d be drafting for. Those traits are excellent by themselves and then there’s his proven ability to find it at every level he’s played at. Against one of the best midfielder drafts in the last 20 years! Why second guess what’s right there for a might be with injuries or a might be who’s slow or a might be he can’t find the ball. I don’t get it.
Edwards was not a #1 draft pick. he was a slow burn.

Reactions: 1 users
Pick 2 for pick 6 & 11 is fair weight, in North's shoes I would be open to that deal but pick 20 would be well unders, they would almost certainly get better offers.

If we are trading up for Lalor then I would hope there will be some due diligence with the hamstrings, Nathan Freeman is a worst case scenario and two first rounders a hefty price to pay.
6 and 20 is slighter overs in points. No one would be willing to do better than that.

Reactions: 3 users
Just on the topic of Langford. Leysy has posted a nice link above showing Lindsay outsmarting Langford at stoppage there. (A terrific and convincing plug for Lindsay's smarts.) We can all see the lack of confidence in Langford when inside and never more pronounced than in those little grabs.

Just focussing in on Langford for now. And his prominent lack of confidence inside, well, maybe that doesn't improve much. He'll be coached in much better ways of managing inside ball once he's at a club. Possibly including not being there.

Does it matter?

Jordan Dawson is a different player in a thousand ways but he is a natural outside player, full of hurt, who has worked into a starting mid. It can be done. And even before he lifted his inside work he was a very damaging player. And even when his inside work drops off he can still bring it on the outside. And hurt.

It's good to be outside. Langford runs towards goal, uses toward goal. Kicks em. And gets a *smile* load of ball. I just can't write him off even though he doesn't suit my usual biases.

Reactions: 8 users
Will Ashcroft at 20yo just won the Norm Smith fourteen months after an ACL. (The medicine is getting better. Much better.)
Its an incredible achievement. To win it so young on its own is incredible. He's a superstar. (Daicos will be fuming)

Reactions: 3 users
6 and 20 is slighter overs in points. No one would be willing to do better than that.
I would, 6 and 11 feels a bit high, 6 and 18 feels a little low. If the draft is as even as everybody (including me) says it is, you can throw a blanket over 11 to 18. The question is less how high the pick, and more 'are we willing to give up a mid to late first to be guaranteed our top two men?'

Yes for me.

Reactions: 2 users
A couple of paragraphs from a a more expansive piece on Harry Armstrong:

www.theage.com.au

The top draft chance who left hospital to watch his mates win a grand final without him

Leading AFL draft hopeful Harry Armstrong has Matthew Lloyd in his corner, a great set of hands, and bundles of goals. But he had to overcome a serious infection barely a year ago.
www.theage.com.au
www.theage.com.au

By now, anyone who follows the draft at all knows that Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd sees Jeremy Cameron traits in teenage forward Harry Armstrong.

Lloyd, one of only three AFL players this century to kick 100 goals in a single season, also rates the 18-year-old as the best contested mark of any young tall forward he has worked with – including the King twins, Max and Ben.

Armstrong – under Lloyd’s tutelage at Haileybury, as well as Rob Harding at Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro – has blossomed this year to the point recruiters universally view him as the best key forward prospect in the 2024 class.

One of Richmond or St Kilda, who could both do with more aerial help in attack, are a good chance to snap up the talented left-footer inside the top 10.

“I’ve always said he’s the best mark I’ve seen come through in my time, which is a big call … but since joining us as a year 10, he’s shown some amazing signs,” Lloyd said.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All the comments on Langford have me thinking similar to Graham
No, no, no, no , no. Langford can take a grab in a pack, his marking is a feature of his game, his kicking is way past Graham. Jack was neat and a good kick inside 50 at times. Langford sees gaps and creates space with his kicking, moves it inside, takes the game on. Langford will never have the defensive aspects of Grahams game. Langford will stand up in a big moment and do something silky to win a game.

Reactions: 9 users