2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

That light frame on Jagga still worries me.

True but he's a gun. Not afraid to put his body on the line.

Just on that article.
It was a good read but the only part I don't agree with is this part. Richmond is targeting North Melbourne's prized Pick 2 in exchange for two first-round selections, which would likely be Picks 6 and 11.

There is zero chance we are giving North pick 11. If the club decides to trade for pick 2 (I hope they dont now, happy to keep all our picks). It'll be 6 & 20 or 6 & 23

Reactions: 12 users
True but he's a gun. Not afraid to put his body on the line.

Just on that article.
It was a good read but the only part I don't agree with is this part. Richmond is targeting North Melbourne's prized Pick 2 in exchange for two first-round selections, which would likely be Picks 6 and 11.

There is zero chance we are giving North pick 11. If the club decides to trade for pick 2 (I hope they dont now, happy to keep all our picks). It'll be 6 & 20 or 6 & 23
Similar frame to Butters, he'll fill out just fine, I'd be concerned about his ability to find the ball and distribute cleanly, from that perspective he ticks the necessary boxes. He's the guy I'd be taking with the first pick, 6 is the place to roll the dice on upside, O'Sullivan would be an excellent compliment, I'd be ok trading up to get those two.

Reactions: 8 users
6 and 11 is very realistic. If we get it for 6 and 20 we have stolen it.
Pick 2 for pick 6 & 11 is fair weight, in North's shoes I would be open to that deal but pick 20 would be well unders, they would almost certainly get better offers.

If we are trading up for Lalor then I would hope there will be some due diligence with the hamstrings, Nathan Freeman is a worst case scenario and two first rounders a hefty price to pay.

Reactions: 6 users
Smith is the only proven top 5 midfielder, I think we’d be crazy not to take him. All the others have ‘could be’ next to their names. We all love a bit of fill in the gaps fantasy. Tantalising (ahem red). The others all lack something whether it’s fitness, speed, agility, consistency or a sound body. I hope we don’t pass up the gun staring us right in the face for a could be.

Reactions: 1 users
Will Ashcroft at 20yo just won the Norm Smith fourteen months after an ACL. (The medicine is getting better. Much better.)

Reactions: 3 users
6 and 11 is very realistic. If we get it for 6 and 20 we have stolen it.

Here's the thing: We do not have to do anything. North wants to pick split because they want Tauru at 6 and want to land another first-rounder. Free hit at another player.

We hold the whip hand. If you want to split your pick, we'll give you 6 and 20 or see you later. The top 6 or 7 are very even. I don't want to hand over another first-rounder unless it favours us in the deal. Picks 10 and 11 are in a sweet spot. Highly doubt we hand over one of these picks alongside pick 6.

Pick 2 for pick 6 & 11 is fair weight, in North's shoes I would be open to that deal but pick 20 would be well unders, they would almost certainly get better offers.

If we are trading up for Lalor then I would hope there will be some due diligence with the hamstrings, Nathan Freeman is a worst case scenario and two first rounders a hefty price to pay.

No club is going to give up 2 prime picks in such a strong even draft. Dees and Saints will not hand over their prime top 10 picks. We can deal as we have a bounty of picks.
We are not desperate for pick 2, so there's no need to be fair this only helps North.

The difference in the quality of players from Pick 2 to 6 is not worth giving up basically another top 10 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users

Not only his hamstring. Had Knee issues early in the year and also foot issues.

THE ‘BORN LEADER’ LEANING ON ADVICE FROM CRIPPS

josh-s-jpg.24743

Big-bodied midfielder Josh Smillie has revealed he leant on advice from a two-time Brownlow Medal winner this year as he battled “some challenges” after entering the season as a highly-touted No. 1 draft pick contender.

Smillie met with Carlton star Patrick Cripps earlier in the year and made notes from the conversation, which he continually went back and reflected on.

A 195cm onballer, the 18-year-old has drawn comparisons to Cripps and Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tom Green, two players who he watches closely.

“I’d want to be half the player Patrick Cripps is now,” Smillie said.

“He’s the best player in the game at the moment. I really look up to those two (Cripps and Green) just because they’re big-bodied midfielders and I watch all the work that they do and try and implement it in my game.”

Smillie’s form was a little up and down at times this year, not helped by some minor injuries and illness.

He was required to spend significant time outside of the midfield during the under-18 national championships with Vic Metro, including roles in attack and defence.

“I’m very versatile so I can play any position and I grew up playing any position,” Smillie said.

“I can go forward or play across half back, but the midfield is my primarily position.

“The year’s done and you reflect on your year. You take out some negatives but you also want to look at the positives. If you said last year I’d be in the position I am now, I’d be pretty proud of this year so far.”

Smillie captained the Eastern Ranges in the Coates Talent League this year as well as serving as skipper of the AFL Academy team in two exhibition matches earlier this season.

Alongside his power and ball-winning abilities, leadership is another key trait that he prides himself on.

“I was raised from my parents being a real leader and a careful person to others,” Smillie said.

“Leadership is something I take pretty seriously. I’m a very caring person that likes to put others before me and see them succeed. It’s just something I’ve grown up with and it just comes natural.”

Attachments

• Josh S.jpg
    Josh S.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 416
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Smith is the only proven top 5 midfielder, I think we’d be crazy not to take him. All the others have ‘could be’ next to their names. We all love a bit of fill in the gaps fantasy. Tantalising (ahem red). The others all lack something whether it’s fitness, speed, agility, consistency or a sound body. I hope we don’t pass up the gun staring us right in the face for a could be.
Just not True. Langford easily fits into the top 5 midfielders.

Richmond is targeting North Melbourne's prized Pick 2 in exchange for two first-round selections, which would likely be Picks 6 and 11.
Also, the club may look at getting into next year's draft, with a host of rivals hoping to enter the first round of the 2024 crop.

Harry Armstrong and Luke Trainor feature at either end of the field and are the best key position talents in the draft, tipped to go within the top 15 picks.

Big long article from someone who's been reading a lot of the thoughts from PRE by the look of it. These two comments kinda struck me as counter intuitive though.
We're targeting #Lolnorf's pick 2 by swapping picks 6 and 11 thereby weakening the core of our draft hand. Yet the 2 best KPP should go within the top 15, right where we've just weakened our draft hand according to the writer.

Reckon sometimes these journos n expert commentators use the same process for writing their stuff as a few on here do. Kick back with a couple of sips n read a whole lot of other punters waffle n then ramble on with a windy monologue of their own random tripe. Biggest difference is that they get paid for the process.

That light frame on Jagga still worries me.
Yep. But there's always been a few scrawny weedy little rodents been absolute star players over the years. Might be coz they somehow learn to slip n slide through tiny little gaps that the bigger blokes either can't see or try to smash through.
Looked at that Jagga photo half a dozen times n it's simply poise balance n space, eat my dust bozo's.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the one stand out issue regarding the draft for me. They're basically 18 y.o. kids n we're projecting to what they will be when they're all grown up at
22 y.o.
Jagga's one of the oldest kids in the draft Jan birthday, he's had the school year already finished n dedicated himself to improving his footy as much as possible all year. He's a top line 18 y.o. and will more than likely be a very good senior AFL player, but where is his ceiling? Has he got another 10% to 15% growth to his game or is there another 20% maybe 25% growth to his game?
For me he's maybe been that little bit to consistently reliable n good where kids are supposed to be a bit patchy n all over the shop at times. Brilliant one minute n *smile* wit the next, until they find that bit of mature balance.

Reactions: 5 users
There's a couple of myths perpetuating about Jagga.

1. He's small. But he's about the same size as FOS. I'd say he's wiry and will fill out. And he seems to bounce up from a tackle much like Bakes. He looks like he has one of those durable bodies. Unlike some other top juniors this year.

2. He's had a year out of school to develop his footy, and therefore he may not develop much more. Yet what we've seen is someone coachable with elite instinct at the stoppage. He's always on the move and the ball somehow ends up in his hands more often than not. In contrast, when I look at Smillie I see a big lug who stands still and hopes the ball lands in his hands. And despite his size he doesn't burst out of the pack like Cripps.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's the thing: We do not have to do anything. North wants to pick split because they want Tauru at 6 and want to land another first-rounder. Free hit at another player.

We hold the whip hand. If you want to split your pick, we'll give you 6 and 20 or see you later. The top 6 or 7 are very even. I don't want to hand over another first-rounder unless it favours us in the deal. Picks 10 and 11 are in a sweet spot. Highly doubt we hand over one of these picks alongside pick 6.

No club is going to give up 2 prime picks in such a strong even draft. Dees and Saints will not hand over their prime top 10 picks. We can deal as we have a bounty of picks.
We are not desperate for pick 2, so there's no need to be fair this only helps North.

The difference in the quality of players from Pick 2 to 6 is not worth giving up basically another top 10 pick.
Demons could trade pick 9 for 15/16 with the Giants and use 5 and 16 to trade up to 2. That’s better than 6 and 20