2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I think we can trust Blair in this situation (if we keep pick 6 ) to have good intel on Big Smillie compared to Langford…..

From The Age….

“Richmond are enamoured with big-bodied midfielder Josh Smillie, too, who hails from Park Orchards, the same club Hartley has coached at for years, including his son’s under-14s team this past season.”

He would know a bit about him.
In BH we trust.

Regards,
Stan
I like the possible upside of Smillie , I think he can be elite , however could also be not much more then handy , definitely happy with him at 6

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, agree with this. We are in a super strong position and can walk away from any possible pick 2 trade if it doesn’t suit us. I want 2 but given where the club is at, I’m not sure it’s worth trading out 2 first rounders this year, particularly if one of those is 6. It’s up to North to make it attractive to us. Not the other way around. Thanks Blair - again.
Just a pedantic point. A trade wouldn't trade out 2 first rounders. We are not giving away 2 picks.

We trade 2 for 1.
The move up from 6 to 2 is a much improved pick, with players available at 6 (actually 7) are slower.

Pick 2 will be our starting mid in our next premiership tilt.

Its then a matter of trading out a late 1st, which we have 4.
It means one less small who'll be a flanker or change mid.

Reactions: 6 users
100% spook

If we trade 6, the gifted pick should be 20 or 23

You have to give something to get something of high value. So, I would even look at 10 and 11 and keep 6. That scenario probably wouldn't work as likely Dees or Saints would get their mitts on Tauru. But how good would it be if we went into the draft with 1, 2, 6. Then 18, 20, 23 and 24

Or North decide to keep their pick 2, no probs as our draft hand is so strong.

I like the idea of keeping all our picks but the club has its plan and if they want the double act FOS/Lalor then they will go for pick 2. Blair keeping it close to his chest.

View attachment 24719
I think 10 and 11 have high value.
Allan, Lindsay, Berry, Hotton, Trav (prob not)
All have high ceilings
Two of these better than #2

6 and 18 (so losing 18) means we dont get a small flanker, but will have just picked 4 elite mids and have another 3 picks to come

Reactions: 9 users
I don’t think the nature of the FOS injuries makes him a concern, his combine results are probably a good indicator of that. The Lalor hamstring was a bad one so that is definitely more concerning but we just have to back our new high performance manager to sort that out and we should have a very talented player going forward.
I was thinking more about Lalor and Hotton. I have no concerns about FOS other than he may end up at Carlton

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that accounts for how keen the Kangas are (or should be) to split the pick to avoid overreaching on the type they need.

I wrote elsewhere that I still think the likely outcome is they keep pick #2 and take O'Sullivan. Longer odds they take Tauru at #2, but possible.

I have serious doubts that Richmond entertains trading pick #6. We just don't need to do it as much as North wants to trade out of #2.

The other problem for North is that #6 doesn't guarantee them Tauru anyway. It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Dees took him at #5.

If North insists that #6 is part of a deal with us, I'd be massively disappointed if we didn't walk away. And if that's the case, I don't how else North splits #2.

Assuming Richmond is happy to give up #10 and #11 for #2 (the most I'd be happy to see us pay), North can get Trainor (definitely there), Armstrong (possibly there) or Tauru (less likely to be there) plus they get someone like a Berry, Langford, Hotton, Trevaglia, etc.

North would be mad to pass that up.

Which is why I believe we would be mad for offering it.

Also I don’t want read half back/ midfielder or half forward midfielder, I want to read midfielder with 3 of our first few picks , absolute genuine junior mids for me
If we can nail 3 in this year's draft it should supercharge our resurgence earlier than expected. Just need a KPF or 2 which could be done with future free agency and or trade(s)

Lot of unders suggestions on here re Norf and pick 2.

And 10 and 11 doesn't work either because that doesn't guarantee them Tauru.

Any deal with Norf will need to include 6 and need a bit more give in it than I'm reading on here. Can guarantee 6 and 23 on its own won't work, 6 and 20 50% at best. 6 and 18 more hopeful.

Agree and I'd do the trade for 6 and 18 personally. We'll get offers for all the other picks, even if its adding a later pick to slide a spot or 2 if we wanted to generate more value.

Just a pedantic point. A trade wouldn't trade out 2 first rounders. We are not giving away 2 picks.

We trade 2 for 1.
The move up from 6 to 2 is a much improved pick, with players available at 6 (actually 7) are slower.

Pick 2 will be our starting mid in our next premiership tilt.

Its then a matter of trading out a late 1st, which we have 4.
It means one less small who'll be a flanker or change mid.

Also remembering that 18 will slide. Whilst the trade looks like 6 and 18, it would more likely be 7 and 21/22. Much more palatable for Pick 2. I'd do it.

Also remembering that 18 will slide. Whilst the trade looks like 6 and 18, it would more likely be 7 and 21/22. Much more palatable for Pick 2. I'd do it.
Why worry about pick slides everyone knows what players won't be available to them so won't have any bearing if either we or Nth accept swaps or not.

Reactions: 7 users
The more I think about what we will have to give up for pick 2 will be too much. It will most likely result in definitely losing pick 6 and or 10 or 11.

I would only take pick 2 if we lose pick 6 or a pick in the 20’s.

The top of 6 is super even.

The draft is deep and we need to hold onto picks 10 & 11.

Reactions: 9 users
Let's say we keep 6 and Langford and Smillie are there for the taking. I like the look of Langford but his lack of pace doesn't sit well. We already have Taranto, Prestia, Hopper, Ross, and McAuliffe who don't possess breakaway speed.

Langford has a neat left foot on him, good overhead, and is always good for a goal. It helps he's a Tiger supporter.

But some are forgetting how good of a player Smillie is. I know at times seems like he is coasting but his 3.08 secs stood out in the combine and has that breakaway speed. His decision-making and kicking to advantage is sublime. He tackles hard also.

If they are both there at 6, im leaning towards Josh.

IMG_1042.jpeg
Wait on
Who said Kane's slow? Kane McAuliffe combine result 20m sprint 2.930 hes not slow by any means
Also scored 5th best standing vertical jump 77cm, 4th running vertical jump 95cm
We havent seen the best of Kane as yet
As for Smillie I expect Cartoon to call his name out at pick 3

Reactions: 7 users
North need to get some young talls more than we need to get a move up from 6 to 2.
Hence would not do it unless we keep 6.
Plenty of good talls around 10 and 20

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 24729
Wait on
Who said Kane's slow? Kane McAuliffe combine result 20m sprint 2.930 hes not slow by any means
Also scored 5th best standing vertical jump 77cm, 4th running vertical jump 95cm
We havent seen the best of Kane as yet
As for Smillie I expect Cartoon to call his name out at pick 3
As long as Yze manages him properly, a few people on PRE are gonna pay for not rating the Big Mac Botox.....just wait.