2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Any chance we can play the WA clubs at the draft?

If Bo Allen is still available at pick 11 would we entertain a pick slide with Freo’s no.14.

That would get them ahead of the Eagles at no.12

What price would Freo pay? F1? Probably not. Definitely F2.

Eagles then may offer their F2 to go from 12 down to 11 to usurp the Dockers.

Don’t know if it’s realistic. Just thinking out loud.
No..better we take Allen..then sell him to the highest bidder in a few years..or use him to bring H Reid to Richmond.

Reactions: 2 users
Lot of unders suggestions on here re Norf and pick 2.

And 10 and 11 doesn't work either because that doesn't guarantee them Tauru.

Any deal with Norf will need to include 6 and need a bit more give in it than I'm reading on here. Can guarantee 6 and 23 on its own won't work, 6 and 20 50% at best. 6 and 18 more hopeful.

The more I think about it I'm not too fussed if we get 2 or not. The draft is so deep in talent that we will pick a gun at 6 anyway. North is in no position to dictate to us. If they get 6 that will ensure they get the flying biking but the next pick should be 20 or 23. Well, It all depends on how much we want pick 2, so it might be just hand over 18 or 20 to get it done but we call the shots here and without us, LOLnorth doesn't get another first-rounder. Interested to see how this all pans out.

Reactions: 5 users
Funny you should mention, Stan. I was just looking but can't find much more than -

Running Vertical Jump

1. Alix Tauru (Gippsland Power/Warragul Industrials) – 94cm

2. Finn O’Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers/Koroit) – 93cm

3. Bo Allan (Peel Thunder/Halls Head) – 92cm

4. Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg/Brighton) – 91cm

5. Jack Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers/Shepparton Bears) – 91cm

6. Floyd Burmeister (GWV Rebels/Redan) – 90cm

7. Thomas Sims (Northern Knights/Montmorency) – 90cm

8. Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers/Shepparton Bears) – 90cm

9. Noah Mraz (Dandenong Stingrays/Narre North Foxes) – 88cm

10. Joel Cochran (Sydney Swans Academy/UNSW Bulldogs) – 87cm

@spook might have some other numbers.
Na, all I've got is that he "ran a strong 2km for a player his size" at the Combine from Batten and Cavanagh's Top 60 article, and that he only started running four weeks prior.

I reckon he comes into it as early as the late teens. Sydney. Us. Port at 13 should grab one of the small forwards given theirs are awful/non-existent, but their key back stocks are also dreadful. I could see them possibly trading 13 and 29 for our 18 and 23 or similar. But if they're smart they grab the small first - there will be talls at 29.

Any chance we can play the WA clubs at the draft?

If Bo Allen is still available at pick 11 would we entertain a pick slide with Freo’s no.14.

That would get them ahead of the Eagles at no.12

What price would Freo pay? F1? Probably not. Definitely F2.

Eagles then may offer their F2 to go from 12 down to 11 to usurp the Dockers.

Don’t know if it’s realistic. Just thinking out loud.
Or we just pick him.

No..better we take Allen..then sell him to the highest bidder in a few years..or use him to bring H Reid to Richmond.
Or we take him and keep him for 10 years and a couple of flags, then reluctantly let him go home for two first-rounders.

H.Reid we should be targeting with Tassie-compromised draft picks.

The more I think about it I'm not too fussed if we get 2 or not. The draft is so deep in talent that we will pick a gun at 6 anyway. North is in no position to dictate to us. If they get 6 that will ensure they get the flying biking but the next pick should be 20 or 23. Well, It all depends on how much we want pick 2, so it might be just hand over 18 or 20 to get it done but we call the shots here and without us, LOLnorth doesn't get another first-rounder. Interested to see how this all pans out.
Yeah, agree with this. We are in a super strong position and can walk away from any possible pick 2 trade if it doesn’t suit us. I want 2 but given where the club is at, I’m not sure it’s worth trading out 2 first rounders this year, particularly if one of those is 6. It’s up to North to make it attractive to us. Not the other way around. Thanks Blair - again.

Let's say we keep 6 and Langford and Smillie are there for the taking. I like the look of Langford but his lack of pace doesn't sit well. We already have Taranto, Prestia, Hopper, Ross, and McAuliffe who don't possess breakaway speed.

Langford has a neat left foot on him, good overhead, and is always good for a goal. It helps he's a Tiger supporter.

But some are forgetting how good of a player Smillie is. I know at times seems like he is coasting but his 3.08 secs stood out in the combine and has that breakaway speed. His decision-making and kicking to advantage is sublime. He tackles hard also.

If they are both there at 6, im leaning towards Josh.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm for trading up because I think FOS is special but I acknowledge the 'don't fall in love with one player' recruiting mantra. I reckon Norf's going to be very keen to split pick 2 and we are easily their best option given Melbourne won't do it. There's a price that's too high to pay but we are sitting pretty with what's likely to be there at 6. I reckon the max we'd have to pay would be 6 & 18 (maybe getting Norf's F2 back) and we might even be able to get it cheaper.

If we don't trade up and we miss FOS I'll be disappointed but we'll still have a ridiculous haul. So flexible: e.g. we could love someone at pick 13 and trade 18 and 20 to Port for 13 and 29. We will do the Magic Pudding thing like last year and convert our last pick or two into future firsts while sliding back in the order. Essendon and Geelong prime candidates.

Most exciting draft ever. @eZyT and I will be on the champagne margaritas, hopefully with a special guest.

I love Hotton. Speculative, sure, but he was looking a top-5 pick. I think with our hand we have to take him at 10 or 11, if he's still there.
Do we have to be careful about taking 2 players with injury concerns with our early picks? I know we have a shed load of picks to mitigate the risk somewhat but it’s still a risk

Pick 6
2000 Dylan Smith
2001 Sampi
2002 Salopek
2003 Kelper Bradley
2004 Tom Williams
2005 Dowler
2006 Mitch Thrope
2007 David Myers
2008 Yarran
2009 Rohan
2010 Conca
2011 Wingard
2012 Jack McCrae
2013 Scharenberg
2014 Marchbank
2015 Aaron Francis
2016 Petreski Seton
2017 Stephenson
2018 Ben King
2019 McAsey
2020 Grainger Barras
2021 Rachele
2022 Humphrey
2023 Sanders.

**Have we still got a 7 day cooling period over the trading of Rioli?
That's a very ordinary group with pick 6.
My best 3 McCrae Wingard none at 3
Pick 6 not totally as bad as some might claim. Whether we like them or not, or consider them to be dickheads or under achievers. Blokes like Rachel n King aren't exactly spuds as players. Even the likes of Sampi, Yazzy n Men of Rohan or SPS weren't exactly spud players. Also the likes of Crapler Bradley n Tom Williams weren't complete write off disasters as players.

Reckon pick 6 itself is somewhat over rated in the actual draft pecking order. Always just at the outside fringe of where the elite junior players are picked from i.e. Just missing from that premium first 5 pick range but always expected to be somehow superior to the actual 6 to 10 range of existence.

Why would I? I've taken him at 1.

Do we have to be careful about taking 2 players with injury concerns with our early picks? I know we have a shed load of picks to mitigate the risk somewhat but it’s still a risk
I don’t think the nature of the FOS injuries makes him a concern, his combine results are probably a good indicator of that. The Lalor hamstring was a bad one so that is definitely more concerning but we just have to back our new high performance manager to sort that out and we should have a very talented player going forward.

There should be private PRE event on at the London Tavern on draft night 1. Will be a big night.
PRE's own version of Mad Monday. Everybody nudes up n gets excited as each of our picks gets called. Be interesting to see if anyone's got the stamina to be just as excited at our last pick as our first. Reckon there'd be a few old stagers struggling to show much enthusiasm by about our 4th or 5th pick.

Reactions: 1 user

Any deal with Norf will need to include 6 and need a bit more give in it than I'm reading on here. Can guarantee 6 and 23 on its own won't work, 6 and 20 50% at best. 6 and 18 more hopeful.
at the same time Norf need us much more than we need them. We're in the driver’s seat and they know it so they'll have to come to the party, I hope we play hardball.

Reactions: 1 users
Clubs would have access to medical reports and prognoses. They'll factor everything in and make a call.

Let's say we keep 6 and Langford and Smillie are there for the taking. I like the look of Langford but his lack of pace doesn't sit well. We already have Taranto, Prestia, Hopper, Ross, and McAuliffe who don't possess breakaway speed.

Langford has a neat left foot on him, good overhead, and is always good for a goal. It helps he's a Tiger supporter.

But some are forgetting how good of a player Smillie is. I know at times seems like he is coasting but his 3.08 secs stood out in the combine and has that breakaway speed. His decision-making and kicking to advantage is sublime. He tackles hard also.

If they are both there at 6, im leaning towards Josh.

I think we can trust Blair in this situation (if we keep pick 6 ) to have good intel on Big Smillie compared to Langford…..

From The Age….

“Richmond are enamoured with big-bodied midfielder Josh Smillie, too, who hails from Park Orchards, the same club Hartley has coached at for years, including his son’s under-14s team this past season.”

He would know a bit about him.
In BH we trust.

Regards,
Stan

Reactions: 11 users
I think we can trust Blair in this situation (if we keep pick 6 ) to have good intel on Big Smillie compared to Langford…..

From The Age….

“Richmond are enamoured with big-bodied midfielder Josh Smillie, too, who hails from Park Orchards, the same club Hartley has coached at for years, including his son’s under-14s team this past season.”

He would know a bit about him.
In BH we trust.

Regards,
Stan
Very true

Blair had known Smillie for years

Fun fact:

At the very beginning of our last rebuild, we drafted our premiership captain and premiership vice captain with our literal first 2 first rounders.

Our 3rd one was deputy vice!

PRE's own version of Mad Monday. Everybody nudes up n gets excited as each of our picks gets called. Be interesting to see if anyone's got the stamina to be just as excited at our last pick as our first. Reckon there'd be a few old stagers struggling to show much enthusiasm by about our 4th or 5th pick.
I’m not showing you my d#ck no matter how nicely you try to frame it.

• Haha

I don't think that accounts for how keen the Kangas are (or should be) to split the pick to avoid overreaching on the type they need.

I wrote elsewhere that I still think the likely outcome is they keep pick #2 and take O'Sullivan. Longer odds they take Tauru at #2, but possible.

I have serious doubts that Richmond entertains trading pick #6. We just don't need to do it as much as North wants to trade out of #2.

The other problem for North is that #6 doesn't guarantee them Tauru anyway. It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Dees took him at #5.

If North insists that #6 is part of a deal with us, I'd be massively disappointed if we didn't walk away. And if that's the case, I don't how else North splits #2.

Assuming Richmond is happy to give up #10 and #11 for #2 (the most I'd be happy to see us pay), North can get Trainor (definitely there), Armstrong (possibly there) or Tauru (less likely to be there) plus they get someone like a Berry, Langford, Hotton, Trevaglia, etc.

North would be mad to pass that up.

Interesting take on the suggestion TM 🤔

Agree .

Don’t think I’d want to do this unless we rate our number 2 player ahead of any potential number 1 pick next year however , next years first for 2 and the Roos first , or a deal that they get the higher pick , in saying that I’m not keen at all to give up our future picks , also I don’t want to give up any in this super draft , I’m leaning more to taking the first 6 to the draft and possibly aging future 1sts and small slides in this years drafts with our last 2 picks . Again comes down to how highly we rate FOS or Lalor and
who we believe slides to 6

Also I don’t want read half back/ midfielder or half forward midfielder, I want to read midfielder with 3 of our first few picks , absolute genuine junior mids for me

Reactions: 1 user