2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Disregarding the 2025 Northern Academy prospects there are a couple of players I am interested in and Will Dursma has been touted as a top prospect . (it doesn't answer your question on how they compare to FOS & Lalor though)

Willem Duursma - Utility​

height: 191cm
D.O.B: 21-06-2007

Archie Ludowyke - Tall Forward​

height: 195cm
D.O.B: 19-11-2007

Cooper Duff-Tytler - Forward/Ruck​

height: 199cm
D.O.B: 22-08-2007
I think there’s a highly rated SA kid

That’s well and good when we have the ball but our lack of pace hurts us when the opposition has the ball.
It's all about balance. We've had no balance in the midfield. Our first pick will be that classy, speedy player. Next year I'd expect us to get 1st or 2nd draft pick so we get another. We also need those taller, strong and defensively good midfielders that are good marks and can be damaging forward. There are a couple of good ones this year and I think Langford is the best of them potentially available at 6. We just have a lot of holes in our list. This is the opportunity, over the next 2-3 years to balance up the list a bit.

There are always times when you can get a quality player at Pick 20 (though this might be pick 24), but I don't think even in a really even draft like this, that 2 players at that point in the draft would be worth more to us than a top 2 or 3.

From what I gather, there is becoming a top 2, then a group 3-8, then another group of about 20 odd that you can throw a blanket over. We would be moving from group 3 to group 1.

Its a no brainer.
Hard to see your rationale without seeing your order?

Disregarding the 2025 Northern Academy prospects there are a couple of players I am interested in and Will Dursma has been touted as a top prospect . (it doesn't answer your question on how they compare to FOS & Lalor though)

Willem Duursma - Utility​

height: 191cm
D.O.B: 21-06-2007

Archie Ludowyke - Tall Forward​

height: 195cm
D.O.B: 19-11-2007

Cooper Duff-Tytler - Forward/Ruck​

height: 199cm
D.O.B: 22-08-2007
I gotta say this year and next have an outstanding crop of nicknameable players.

From my own selfish and somewhat immature perspective, I would like Jagga Smith as our No 1 draft pick just so the crowd can sing "He's got the moves like Jagga" every time he kicks a goal :))

So...we have 8 quality picks.

We need to trade up to pick 2 so we get FOS...it is imperative to get high class draftees.

That means pick 2 for 6 and say 18

Leaves 1 2 10 11 20 23 24.

It is imperative we draft players now....it takes a few years for developement..
Another year delays progress.

I wanted 7 draftees but it looks like 24 will go for F1 next year.

So six it is.

1 Lalor
2 FOS
1O Lindsay/Hotten/M Reid/Allen
11 Faull/Armstrong/Shanahan
20 O Hannaford
23 M Whitlock

I would have liked Ough , Dattoli , Gross , Hynes or any number of other mid/utility players with 24.
Still want 7...but I guess if we can get a future 12 or under for 2025 for pick 24 then it is the right move.
I like the idea of the whole 7 developing together.

I have said earlier that I honestly think H Reid will come home after 3 years.
Drafting B Allen and FOS would be key to getting Reid to Richmond in 2 years as a swap for Allen.
H Reid would make this draft and next turbo charged.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have a full order, but do you see it differently? You think the top 25 are all similar to each other or you think there are clearly better players in there?
After Ashcroft, then in no particular order Draper, Lalor, O’Sullivan and Smith I think the next 20 are pretty even. I like the idea of spectacular so I’d probably have Langford and Tauru next,
but really what do I know, it is too close to call.

Fair enough. Even combining with TT brings question marks to our mix ILO.

And we're talking pick 6 here - There is every chance one of Jagga, Draper or The Viking are there. Be hard to take Langford ahead of any of them.

There are not a lot of genuine mids with toe this draft. Draper, Smith, Lindsay that's about it.

Then you move to sorta hybrids who might or might not be full time midfielders in time - Berry, Hotton, Hynes.

It's not just pace though, sorta think he lacks a bit of class and evasiveness as well. Covers the ground ok once up and going but doesn't really have a step or agile. Prefer to take say Xavier Lindsay.

This is Lindsays last game before getting injured in the second quarter - against Langford. Beats him almost every time.

Open question - why would you take Langford ahead of Lindsay?

Both long left foot kicks. Reckon Lindsay slightly better, more piercing over shorter distances.

Both win loads of footy

Langford better overhead.

Lindsay more versatile - equally at home half back/forward.

Lindsay a lot quicker, has burst and a great step.

Prefer him TBH.
100% old man Laze

Every chance we can grab both of those players. So happy days for us all.

But Langford is high on the boards Leysy. He won’t last past 6.

Yeah totally know he is high up Smokin Tyres (not realistically in the conversation for 1 though).

Just don't rate him as high as most.