2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Reckon it's a toss-up between Langford and Draper for Carlton once we take Lalor and FOS. Say Carlton go Draper, which I favour they will, then Adelaide is choosing between Langford, Jagga and maybe Smillie. They are small enough in the midfield but let's say they go Jagga. Now Melbourne is choosing between Langford and Smillie. I don't see how anyone could have Smillie ahead, but let's say they do. Then Norf take Tauru and it's St Kilda with two picks. They might not want another slow mid but where are the quick ones? Reid? Lindsay?

It's not unpossible that Langford gets to 10 but I think it's more likely he goes top-5.
I reckon Carlton will go Draper anyway.
Reckon FoS is a smoke screen.

They are getting Campo twins from RADelaide and Sid will move over with them. Has played against men in SA so can add instant bite around the middle….

Don’t want Adelaide getting twitchy and then trade to 2……. Just a hunch, no intel.

Regards,
Stan

Reactions: 3 users
I reckon Carlton will go Draper anyway.
Reckon FoS is a smoke screen.

They are getting Campo twins from RADelaide and Sid will move over with them. Has played against men in SA so can add instant bite around the middle….

Don’t want Adelaide getting twitchy and then trade to 2……. Just a hunch, no intel.

Regards,
Stan

Very good hunch. He'd be fav to be taken by Carlton if was framing a market.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s well and good when we have the ball but our lack of pace hurts us when the opposition has the ball.
Yep - it's amazing how many still don't understand this. It's not like they haven't spent the last few years watching the likes of Nank, JGTW, Ross, Pickett, Prestia, Hopper, Taranto & an aging Cotchin running in quicksand as even mid paced opponents sprint further way with each step.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep - it's amazing how many still don't understand this. It's not like they haven't spent the last few years watching the likes of Nank, JGTW, Ross, Pickett & an aging Cotchin running in quicksand as even mid paced opponents sprint further way with each step.
Assuming we trade for pick 2, I’d be prefer pumped with a haul of
Lalor
FOS
Lindsay
Travaglia
Faull
Hannaford
F1

Reactions: 2 users
I am not so sure. I think it is a very even draft. Picks at 20 could end up being better than picks @2.
Anything is possible. Depends on our ratings of players.
There are always times when you can get a quality player at Pick 20 (though this might be pick 24), but I don't think even in a really even draft like this, that 2 players at that point in the draft would be worth more to us than a top 2 or 3.

From what I gather, there is becoming a top 2, then a group 3-8, then another group of about 20 odd that you can throw a blanket over. We would be moving from group 3 to group 1.

Its a no brainer.

Creeping into a space rightly occupied by much smarter PRE minds that mine ...

Can we get pick #2 without giving up pick #6? Logic says no, particularly if the Kangas are set on Tauru.

But is there a world where it may be possible, if that world includes the chance of Tauru or Armstrong falling to #10?

Let's say our shiny new pick #10 is the bedrock of a deal for pick #2.

Hypothetically, without any other changes, the draft order looks like this:

Pick #1 Richmond (Lalor)
Pick #2 Richmond (O'Sullivan)
Pick #3 Carlton (Draper)
Pick #4 Adelaide (Smith)
Pick #5 Melbourne (Armstrong)
Pick #6 Richmond (Langford)
Pick #7 St Kilda (Reid)
Pick #8 St Kilda (Lindsay)
Pick #9 Melbourne (Smillie)
Pick #10 North Melbourne (Tauru)

The obvious club that could ruin this is St Kilda. Losing Battle might mean they couldn't pass on Tauru if he was available.

Other than a possible selection by the Saints, I can see either Armstrong or Tauru slipping through to pick #10.

PS: I've excluded Trainor for now ... I think the risk is too great for a club to take him until at least into the 20s.
If Armstrong is there at #6 … we’ll be taking him over Langford 😉

Assuming we trade for pick 2, I’d be prefer pumped with a haul of
Lalor
FOS
Lindsay
Travaglia
Faull
Hannaford
F1
That would be an awesome haul though I'd take Hotton over Travaglia - either would be a good result and Travaglia probably the safer bet. Hynes would also be tempting if he's still on the board in the early 20's. If we could somehow wrangle a later second rounder I'd pounce on Gerryn if he was there. If it was a third or fourth rounder - Charlie Nicholls.

Last edited:
Decided to make TT2's Jagga vs Langford stats more readable...

Coates
Jagga vs Langford
154 ranking points,152 ranking points
33.8 disposals25.9 disposals
4.7 marks5.1 marks
7.9 clearances4.7 clearances
10.3 gbg's4.8 inside 50's
6.8 score involvments7.7 score involvments
3 tackles4.7 tackles
0.6 goals1.3 goals
12 games15 games

2024 National Champs

135 ranking points130 ranking points
29.3 disposals25.5 disposals
4.8 marks6.3 marks
6.8 clearances6.3 clearances
9.8 gbg's6.3 inside 50's
6 score involvments7.5 score involvments
2 tackles3 tackles
0.3 goals0.3 goals
4 games4 games

2024 VFL
103 ranking points63 ranking points
27.3 disposals12 disposals
2 marks
6.3 clearances2 clearances
14 gbg's
4.7 score involvments3 score involvments
0 goals0 goals
3 games1 game

Looking at stats, Dusty and Daniel Jackson are the same player. I don't know how you guys can see anything in these numbers. I've always thought that most available AFL stats are misleading, as it's inherently such a hard game to measure due to 36 players and 360 degree movement. Still interesting to look for trends, but hard to find anything definitive

That’s well and good when we have the ball but our lack of pace hurts us when the opposition has the ball.
Also no point having pace if you can’t win the ball , but that not my point , we need A grade talent everywhere , I don’t want us to miss out on elite talent just because of another player been better then another in one area ,
, in saying that absolutely we need more pace and two way runners , Leysy’s question is would you prefer Langford over Lindsay , without seeing a huge amount of either lads I’d take Langford .

Not to say Cripps or Bontempelli are slow , however there’s not a team in the AFL that they wouldn’t be starting mids in , both top 10 players in the league for most .

Surely with such a mother load of picks we'll being going tall at some stage, 3 mids with the first three picks and then grab a couple of tall forwards with the remaining selections. Beautifully placed to get half the rebuild done in one draft, just got to avoid a 2004 scenario, I'm quietly confident as I reckon there's a bit more depth in this one. I'd be setting the bar at Port's recent Butters/Rozee draft, we need a couple of A listers at a bare minimum.

Reactions: 2 users
Fair enough. Even combining with TT brings question marks to our mix ILO.

And we're talking pick 6 here - There is every chance one of Jagga, Draper or The Viking are there. Be hard to take Langford ahead of any of them.

There are not a lot of genuine mids with toe this draft. Draper, Smith, Lindsay that's about it.

Then you move to sorta hybrids who might or might not be full time midfielders in time - Berry, Hotton, Hynes.

It's not just pace though, sorta think he lacks a bit of class and evasiveness as well. Covers the ground ok once up and going but doesn't really have a step or agile. Prefer to take say Xavier Lindsay.

This is Lindsays last game before getting injured in the second quarter - against Langford. Beats him almost every time.

Open question - why would you take Langford ahead of Lindsay?

Both long left foot kicks. Reckon Lindsay slightly better, more piercing over shorter distances.

Both win loads of footy

Langford better overhead.

Lindsay more versatile - equally at home half back/forward.

Lindsay a lot quicker, has burst and a great step.

Prefer him TBH.
All good points Leysy. But midfielders who can go forward and take grabs are worth their weight in gold.

Langford is all that. Rather damaging mids forward of the ball than those who can play off half back.