2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Maybe. Personally can't see any way we would be considering him at 1.

Is the speculation we're keen on him because we think he'll be there at 6? And some others won't be?

We are very good at keeping who we like in house, especially drafting so not taking it to the bank.
Nothing from the club Leysy, but just whispers that are out there. The Twomey rankings are also a bit of a give away of what people are thinking.

In such a good and even draft I wouldn’t be going after pick 2.To much talent there with our excellent draft hand to be giving picks away.It could mean missing out on a Berry,Travaliga,Gerreyn,Dattoli,Hynes and Ough.Run with what we got.

Reactions: 1 user
Was always thinking we offer 2 picks if we try and get Pick 2, but thinking about Picks 11, 18 and 20, maybe we get something future back. Would we do those 3 for Pick 2 and Norths F2? I reckon I would.
Maybe 6 & 18 and 2 and F2?

I do like the idea of getting the same number "early picks" back as we trade out- with the plan to use 6 early picks this year, then have 4 next year (assuming our 2nd pick will be close to 20.

Reactions: 3 users
I doubt we trade up for pick 2.
I really think the plan is to take 4 - 6 this draft then another 2 - 4 1st round 2025.
We could load up on next year's draft by getting ridiculous offers for some of our later picks. So why would we trade out any of our later picks to get into 2?
However as Blair said we are open to anything.

I think we need to pull back our hopes for those later 1sts and early 2nd. We absolutely will get offers for them, but I'm not sure they will be ridiculous offers as you suggest.

If you forecast out where they are likely to be, they will be pushed by at least 3 picks, probably 4, so our 23 becomes 27 and 24 becomes 28. The best we get is a late 1st, but we might also get offers like we had last year when we slid back with the McAulliffe trades, extra future picks to slide back a few spots. We'll certainly get offers for them, but thinking of ridiculous offers like high 1st rounders just won't happen (I'd love to see it but I don't think we will).

I think its a no-brainer to trade up to 2

Reactions: 1 users
North would be crazy to trade out pick 2 for anything that doesn't include pick 6. We could push for 6 + 20 but if we want pick 2 we will have to give up pick 6.

I'm okay with this if it gives us Lalor & FOS

I tend to agree, but if its possible to do it with 3 of them, we have that option too. If we somehow wound up with 1, 2, 6 and 1 of 10/11 as well as the few later picks, we'd have ripped the guts out of this draft.

Any Taj Hotton fans? Looks a really classy hybrid forward/on baller.

- Few others compare to Hotton in the way of all-round athleticism. Putting his preseason testing numbers against the best of the National Draft Combine, Hotton would have placed third in the 20-metre sprint (2.882 seconds), second for the running vertical jump (93cm), and first in the agility test (7.807 seconds).
I think his gone from slider to bolter , hope we get him

I think we need to pull back our hopes for those later 1sts and early 2nd. We absolutely will get offers for them, but I'm not sure they will be ridiculous offers as you suggest.

If you forecast out where they are likely to be, they will be pushed by at least 3 picks, probably 4, so our 23 becomes 27 and 24 becomes 28. The best we get is a late 1st, but we might also get offers like we had last year when we slid back with the McAulliffe trades, extra future picks to slide back a few spots. We'll certainly get offers for them, but thinking of ridiculous offers like high 1st rounders just won't happen (I'd love to see it but I don't think we will).

I think its a no-brainer to trade up to 2

I reckon we'll get offered first rounders for them. And whilst they might project to be late firsts you never know.

There are teams that tumble unexpectedly every year.

One gazillion percent Coops. One of the reasons not that keen on him at the top end.
Agree re the pace , I wouldn’t want to miss out on a star 200 game midfielder because he lacks a yard though Leysy , Timmy T is the only midfielder I’d say is a 90%chance of being in our midfield rotation in 3 years when the new cubs are hitting their straps so I think our lack of pace in the middle , while definite needs of being addressed may not be an issue at all after a couple of drafts so I wouldnt want to miss the centrepiece of a potential elite midfield to just address a void right now .

I figure we get 4 mids this year , law of averages say atleast 2 will be quick , ad in the number 1 or 2 pick next year which is said to be another quick mid , then on top of that we have our “ late” picks which will again be able to add pace .

Not saying Langford is definitely the way to go , I just wouldn’t rule him out because of the weakness of a lack of midfield pace that we allready have on the list as that’s going to rapidly change anyway

Last edited:
Why isn't Draper in the equation for 2
He has everything we desperately need , breakaway pace from the stoppage, run and carry , apparently ready to go round 1
Kid looks dynamite, why finn over him?

Why isn't Draper in the equation for 2
He has everything we desperately need , breakaway pace from the stoppage, run and carry , apparently ready to go round 1
Kid looks dynamite, why finn over him?
Exactly why we need to keep 6.

Who will be best out of the top 10 is impossible to know.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree re the pace , I wouldn’t want to miss out on a star 200 game midfielder because he lacks a year though Leysy , Timmy T is the only midfielder I’d say is a 90%chance of being in our midfield rotation in 3 years when the new cubs are hitting their straps so I think our lack of pace in the middle , while definite needs of being address may not be an issue at all after a couple of drafts so I wouldnt want to miss the centrepiece of a potential elite midfield to just address a void right now .

I figure we get 4 mids this year , law of averages say atleast 2 will be quick , ad in the number 1 or 2 pick next year which is said to be another quick mid , then on top of that we have our “ late” picks which will again be able to add pace .

Not saying Langford is definitely the way to go , I just wouldn’t rule him out because of the weakness of a lack of midfield pace that we allready have on the list as that’s going to rapidly change anyway

Fair enough. Even combining with TT brings question marks to our mix ILO.

And we're talking pick 6 here - There is every chance one of Jagga, Draper or The Viking are there. Be hard to take Langford ahead of any of them.

There are not a lot of genuine mids with toe this draft. Draper, Smith, Lindsay that's about it.

Then you move to sorta hybrids who might or might not be full time midfielders in time - Berry, Hotton, Hynes.

It's not just pace though, sorta think he lacks a bit of class and evasiveness as well. Covers the ground ok once up and going but doesn't really have a step or agile. Prefer to take say Xavier Lindsay.

This is Lindsays last game before getting injured in the second quarter - against Langford. Beats him almost every time.

Open question - why would you take Langford ahead of Lindsay?

Both long left foot kicks. Reckon Lindsay slightly better, more piercing over shorter distances.

Both win loads of footy

Langford better overhead.

Lindsay more versatile - equally at home half back/forward.

Lindsay a lot quicker, has burst and a great step.

Prefer him TBH.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair enough. Even combining with TT brings question marks to our mix ILO.

And we're talking pick 6 here - There is every chance one of Jagga, Draper or The Viking are there. Be hard to take Langford ahead of any of them.

There are not a lot of genuine mids with toe this draft. Draper, Smith, Lindsay that's about it.

Then you move to sorta hybrids who might or might not be full time midfielders in time - Berry, Hotton, Hynes.

It's not just pace though, sorta think he lacks a bit of class and evasiveness as well. Covers the ground ok once up and going but doesn't really have a step or agile. Prefer to take say Xavier Lindsay.

This is Lindsays last game before getting injured in the second quarter - against Langford. Beats him almost every time.

Open question - why would you take Langford ahead of Lindsay?

Both long left foot kicks. Reckon Lindsay slightly better, more piercing over shorter distances.

Both win loads of footy

Langford better overhead.

Lindsay more versatile - equally at home half back/forward.

Lindsay a lot quicker, has burst and a great step.

Prefer him TBH.
Strong immovable beast in the contest , compared to pace from the contest , tough call on who’s the better at what they do