2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Here are some drafting notes on Bontempelli from 2013 -

MB outside as a youngster. Good. Outside is good. Langford is very natural outside. Outside is good.

If Langford can cultivate his inside game, garner the belief he now clearly lacks, will he become the star fo this draft? He's 190/90. What if he furnishes? 190/98. Starts getting and holding position inside. Even knocking a few over. He can pick it up off the deck. Many can't. Can he level up?

Belief is an issue with him. Watch him inside. No belief.

Or will he always be a big strong outside player? Brendan Goddard? I can see a resemblance at times. Jack Crisp too. And that step, that arm swing - Joel Bowden. Langford's leg speed puts him nearer Bowden.

He's not without natural inside game. It's just not developed. Not sure.
Rather take Jack Ough at 1/6 the cost.

Reactions: 2 users
He profiles in many ways like Bont, caesar. FWIW I haven't made up my mind about him. I'm confident that he's top say 6 prospect and maybe pick #1 but I still have some doubts. Probably 1-6 in the mainstream.

I don't think he's a naturally confident player. I suspect strongly that Toce rates Lalor above Langford. That's a coincidence. From his own lips not so long ago Langford rated Lalor above Langford. Lngford was quite sincere in his praise of his captain(?).

I'm not getting a naturally confident player. When Langford is inside a pack looking to pick it up I don't see a confident player. He usually picks it up. But I don't think he's at home. When Langford debuted at VFL level I was not at all surprised to see a player who did not look confident, a player who looked to me a bit over awed.

I don't mind a lack of confidence in an inexperienced player. Our celebrated football education institution will get that right with any player. It could be that Langford has a big upside and is performing below the level he might. Due to a lack of belief.

We've seen him in space. He looks a million bucks. Except once in a while when his confidence deserts him and he mysteriously shanks it and stubs his toe.

Running patterns, I see mainly Jack Crisp when Langford is peak. Some Goddard. The inside game is not there yet IMO. But there could be massive improvement. Crucially he can pick it up off the deck. So important inside.

Did he get plenty of ball at CTL? Massive. Did he kick goals? Does he run towards goal, use towards goal? Did he get numbers at the carnival? Big numbers? Backed it up. Did he go missing? Nup.

Twomey may not be much of a judge but he rated him #1. Twomey is no radical. We fans may not rate him but Langford could go #1. RFC invited him to play at the club. #2? 3? #4? Right in it. Mainstream.
Yeah Langford does look good. Super composed which is probably why some say he's slow.

Gonna be a tough call bw Jagga, FOS, Lalor and Langford.

Yeah Langford does look good. Super composed which is probably why some say he's slow.

As long as fos and lalor are named b4 the other 2 then all is good

Reactions: 1 user
I watched a stack of Stingrays games this year and i wouldnt be upset if we called Langford at 1. We are super keen on him and our recruiters were at plenty of his games.
He aint quick but runs all day, how quick he is at the start is how quick he's running in the last minute.
Pure footballer and a very smart one too, which at Coates level at least made up for his lack of a burst.

With our first 2 picks i want no risk footballers, Smith at 1 and hope Langford is still there at 6.
Probably both closer to there ceiling than some other names but i think with where we are at we just cant take any risks.
Who we take at 1 might come down to who we think the other teams around us will take and who will be there at 6.

Langfords partner in crime at Stingrays Cooper Hynes would be a nice pick late teens early 20's if we missed Langford.
Not as clean as Langford but more of an inside game, kicks goals too and finished the year off very well.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm in the Langford before Smillie and Travaglia camp. I probably have him ahead of Jagga too. He might be our #3.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
I was surprised when the recent Age article linked us to Smillie, I knew we definitely had an interest in Langford and I would be surprised if we selected Smillie over Langford if they are after a big bodied midfielder.

Ok, here it is. Got some face to face honest opinions from my part time recruiter mate that is with another Victorian club. Based on his diligent homework, he says:

1. Jagga. Just produces at every level and is almost bombproof. VFL performances really impressed.
2. Ashcroft - I didn't seek a reason as I know he ain’t coming to us.
3. Langford. Loves the way he plays and is a modern day footballer who has great endurance.

4/5. Is a toss up. Lalor/FOS. Says although Lalor been injured and slightly up and down, the game he saw where he had 35 possessions and kicked goals, made him think he could be a star. Likewise FOS glimpses of star potential but not consistent enough for 1 pick.

The player he was really keen outside those was Lindsay. Says runs all day and fantastic kick - Gulden comparisons.

There you go.

Reactions: 10 users
Would we rather have a 27-year old Daniel Rioli, or an 18-year old Harvey Langford?
That’s impossible to answer.
Rioli a fully franked star. Highly underrated.
Langford COULD BE a total bust due to queries on whether he’s a natural midfielder but surely can’t risk pick 1 on him?
Smith and Ashcroft probably the only guaranteed 250 gamers. Draper not far off.
FOS, Lalor, Langford and Smillie all with * next to their names and carry an element of risk. Ideal second selections but not first in my uneducated opinion

Last edited:
Would be stunned if we took Langford with an early pick given lack of leg speed, particularly through the guts, is one of our most glaring list deficiencies and will be even more so if we trade out two of our quickest players.

Reactions: 4 users
Right now Thursfield knows pretty much who we're looking at and knows who he wants. He's strong. Clarke knows, and is considering Smith. Ogilvie might know who Clarke is stalking. So he's got a good idea of who he can get.

Let's say the order is Ashcroft, Lalor, FOS, Smith, Langford today. Try that on. Suppose that's the feeling round clubs too. Just suppose that. You'd expect RFC to be contacting Smillie. What's that? They have been in contact with him? RFC linked to Smillie?

Have we got five roughly in place?

Lalor
FOS
Smith
Langford
Don't know. Taylor throwing off about Kako. Tauru? Smillie?
Smillie
Tauru?
Draper?

Starting to look like a shape. Is this roughly the shape that clubs are working on as they trade up and down the board? Is this firming up?

Rather take Jack Ough at 1/6 the cost.
I don't have a firm opinion on Langford at this stage, TU. I'm not sure. Could go either way, I reckon. I keep thinking he's not natural enough inside but then I correct myself. Could be a maturity thing. Maybe he's got another gear. Dunno.

As for helping my uncle Jack Ough his horse, he's got a few fans on the thread. And he had a very big GF. Maybe we'll land him and he can honour the yellow and black.

He's certainly amassed an impressive record, Harry. Huge record. Rated in Twomey's phantoms and form guide. (Twomey knows who's talking to him.) He's gotta be in the mix.

• Haha