2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It's getting out atm that Tauru will go earlier than Twomey's August board had tipped.

Twomey is to some extent a pawn in the shadow boxing of recruiters as they try to get intel on the rankings of their rivals. This gets leaked from here, that gets leaked from there. He updates his board with the leaked intel from many sources (mainly connections of draftees - he knows millions of them).

It's possible that Twomey got it wrong in August. About Tauru. And just didn't have the intel about say Melbourne rating him #4. Or StK rating him #5. It's also possible that a couple of clubs have cooled on some of the smalls and are willing to take a risk on an athletic tall earlier. (Murphy Ried's stocks probably plummeted based on an event - the CTL GF.)

Most likely is that a club or two that had him at a possible #18 now sees that there are other clubs who will take him at #10. And that club plans to take him at #7.

When we say that Tauru is rocketing up the board it's possible that Twomey just didn't know the club that was sweating on him when he listed back in August. And got it wrong. But just as likely IMO that clubs are responding to intel on the interest of rival clubs.

Games within games.
Spot on Jack.

Football is finished. Yet he is bolting up the charts.

Reactions: 1 users
Langford is the most like Bont
He profiles in many ways like Bont, caesar. FWIW I haven't made up my mind about him. I'm confident that he's top say 6 prospect and maybe pick #1 but I still have some doubts. Probably 1-6 in the mainstream.

I don't think he's a naturally confident player. I suspect strongly that Toce rates Lalor above Langford. That's a coincidence. From his own lips not so long ago Langford rated Lalor above Langford. Lngford was quite sincere in his praise of his captain(?).

I'm not getting a naturally confident player. When Langford is inside a pack looking to pick it up I don't see a confident player. He usually picks it up. But I don't think he's at home. When Langford debuted at VFL level I was not at all surprised to see a player who did not look confident, a player who looked to me a bit over awed.

I don't mind a lack of confidence in an inexperienced player. Our celebrated football education institution will get that right with any player. It could be that Langford has a big upside and is performing below the level he might. Due to a lack of belief.

We've seen him in space. He looks a million bucks. Except once in a while when his confidence deserts him and he mysteriously shanks it and stubs his toe.

Running patterns, I see mainly Jack Crisp when Langford is peak. Some Goddard. The inside game is not there yet IMO. But there could be massive improvement. Crucially he can pick it up off the deck. So important inside.

Did he get plenty of ball at CTL? Massive. Did he kick goals? Does he run towards goal, use towards goal? Did he get numbers at the carnival? Big numbers? Backed it up. Did he go missing? Nup.

Twomey may not be much of a judge but he rated him #1. Twomey is no radical. We fans may not rate him but Langford could go #1. RFC invited him to play at the club. #2? 3? #4? Right in it. Mainstream.

Reactions: 4 users
What's your view on both ? If you had to pick one over the other, which would it be ?
Without puttting together 3000 word scouting reports, I like Langfords ability in the air over Smillie, I like Langford general forward craft better than Smillie, I like Langfords ability to go from contest to contest better than Smilllie but I like Smillie's clearance work better, his handball from inside the contest to outside is better than Langfords and he is a better exponent of the low dart kick back to the 45 than Langford. But Langford is a wonderful touch kick. I think Smillie has gone from overvlaued to dramatically undervalued over the course of three months. I think it's Langford just but both serve our needs.

Reactions: 7 users
Langford is the bloke who doesn't get enough air on PRE IMO.

He gets numbers. He runs toward goal. He uses toward goal. He kicks goals and wins leather. Built for the game. Can pick it up off the lawn. Slow? Some players are.

His sole VFL outing was underwhelming. The kids often struggle in the first VFL hit out and then rally the next one. Langford looks a certainty to pass Travaglia who got 20 in that game. And is as slow as Langford.

I think Langford is on boards as early as #1. Maybe even ours.

Can't be with you on this one Jack.

Understand it doesn't fall into line with popular opinion. But if draft night comes around at pick 10 and both are on the board, would be taking Travaglia ahead of Langford.

Reckon he projects better - Runs harder and for longer, quicker (ignore the basketball court test - reckon watching games tells us that), better overhead, links up better, competes harder and has more confidence (especially in big moments).

Langford's pluses are he is a better kick and has proven himself in the midfield. But no am not a fan for where he's being projected to go.

Wouldn't underestimate The Italian Stallion - who am a fan of.

Without puttting together 3000 word scouting reports, I like Langfords ability in the air over Smillie, I like Langford general forward craft better than Smillie, I like Langfords ability to go from contest to contest better than Smilllie but I like Smillie's clearance work better, his handball from inside the contest to outside is better than Langfords and he is a better exponent of the low dart kick back to the 45 than Langford. But Langford is a wonderful touch kick. I think Smillie has gone from overvlaued to dramatically undervalued over the course of three months. I think it's Langford just but both serve our needs.
Pretty reasonable assessment there I think. Tend to agree with most of it.

The other thing that might give The Langford the advantage is his 2klm time trial. It was good. He may be a bit slow over 20m, but he's at least got an engine.

Reactions: 5 users

That's a pretty fair summary. What if Draper is also available at that pick (and we keep it)?

Understand it doesn't fall into line with popular opinion. But if draft night comes around at pick 10 and both are on the board, would be taking Travaglia ahead of Langford.

Reckon he projects better - Runs harder and for longer, quicker (ignore the basketball court test - reckon watching games tells us that), better overhead, links up better, competes harder and has more confidence (especially in big moments).

Langford's pluses are he is a better kick and has proven himself in the midfield. But no am not a fan for where he's being projected to go.

No worries, Bryan.

I don't doubt that you prefer Travaglia to Langford and fair enough. As you mention that's not a mainstream view. It's radical. Excellent. That's why we come here.

I'm just giving a some air to a player with a prodigious U18 record who gets none. My take on why we may be underestimating him here is detailed in my post. Not confident. Not fully developed. Upside? Never goes missing.

The inside game. It needs a lot of work. But he can pick it up off the deck. Many can't. And that brings us to Smillie.

Reactions: 2 users

Langford is much more composed than Travagila and the kicking is a no contest for Langford.

Give me the pure mid who can go forward and take a grab as opposed to the back flanker who might become a mid.

Langford is better overhead as well. And Langford will be will gone by 10.

Reactions: 3 users
That's a pretty fair summary. What if Draper is also available at that pick (and we keep it)?

I think I take Draper because of the raw pace but the inklings of him being a prickly character make it interesting. It's also dependant on who you take at 1. If you take FOS, I'd take Draper, we need to walk away with one pure mid. If you take Jagga, I'd go Langford because he brings the forward craft. Long term, I reckon Langford can go to Full Forward for 10 minutes as Jason Horne Francis does. The are different onballers but have similar craft when resting forward.

Zero chance Langford is on the board at 10.

I get you are concerned about his pace but its blinding you on his strengths.

Langford is much more composed than Travagila and the kicking is a no contest for Langford.

Give me the pure mid who can go forward and take a grab as opposed to the back flanker who might become a mid.

Yep. Its why he is touted to go early.

Disagree re: overhead ability. And yeah agree Langford is likely to be gone by 10. Doesn't mean he should though.

Am very worried about adding Langfords (lack of) pace to the most pedestrian midfield in the country.

Anyway, just opinions.

I think I take Draper because of the raw pace but the inklings of him being a prickly character make it interesting. It's also dependant on who you take at 1. If you take FOS, I'd take Draper, we need to walk away with one pure mid. If you take Jagga, I'd go Langford because he brings the forward craft. Long term, I reckon Langford can go to Full Forward for 10 minutes as Jason Horne Francis does. The are different onballers but have similar craft when resting forward.

Yeah FoS and Draper would be a good combo. Would add some much needed zip and energy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Based on a pessimistic view of our draft hand I suggest we can achieve the following;
Two of: Jagga, FOS, Lalor, Draper, Allan, Langford.
One of: Reid, Trainor, Armstrong, Smillie
Four of: Hynes, Hotton, Berry, Hannaford, Oliver, Davis, Gerreyn, Travaglia, Lindsay, Datoli, Ough, Faull, Sulzberger, Sims
Seven of: Dodson, Urquart, O'Farrell, Shanahan, Tauru, Gross, Moraes, Whitlock(s), Jaques, Mraz, Cole, Day-wicks, Ivisic, Andrew, Champion, Anderson,
Quaynor, Grego, Barrat, Retschko, May, Davidson, and Lockwood.
Who we actually draft will depend on who is available of course, but a worst case scenario in each tier is still looking good.

Really good question. Unusual for you Wrinkle Bets.

Draper ticks a lot of boxes in terms of some patently obvious missing ingredients on our list - specifically, separation speed, give and go and carry. We're going to be even shorter on them with the departure of Bolton and Rioli.

For me personally, I'm probably avoiding though. Reasons being I'm not 100% convinced of his delivery (thought it was really poor in most of his senior SANFL games), there's the SA go-home risk and I hear and sense some level of individualism with him. But perhaps more relevant is that we could maybe pick up one or two others with these ingredients a bit later on e.g. Berry, Allan, Lindsay come to mind.

Here are some drafting notes on Bontempelli from 2013 -

MB outside as a youngster. Good. Outside is good. Langford is very natural outside. Outside is good.

If Langford can cultivate his inside game, garner the belief he now clearly lacks, will he become the star fo this draft? He's 190/90. What if he furnishes? 190/98. Starts getting and holding position inside. Even knocking a few over. He can pick it up off the deck. Many can't. Can he level up?

Belief is an issue with him. Watch him inside. No belief.

Or will he always be a big strong outside player? Brendan Goddard? I can see a resemblance at times. Jack Crisp too. And that step, that arm swing - Joel Bowden. Langford's leg speed puts him nearer Bowden.

He's not without natural inside game. It's just not developed. Not sure.

• Wow
Really good question. Unusual for you Wrinkle Bets.

Draper ticks a lot of boxes in terms of some patently obvious missing ingredients on our list - specifically, separation speed, give and go and carry. We're going to be even shorter on them with the departure of Bolton and Rioli.

For me personally, I'm probably avoiding though. Reasons being I'm not 100% convinced of his delivery (thought it was really poor in most of his senior SANFL games), there's the SA go-home risk and I hear and sense some level of individualism with him. But perhaps more relevant is that we could maybe pick up one or two others with these ingredients a bit later on e.g. Berry, Allan, Lindsay come to mind.
Your right. If the Crows don't take him, something is off. He is everything they need for their midfield. Major red flag outside of footballing ability should they pass.