2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Craig Cameron Doesn't give too much away in regard to pick 13 but reading between the lines GC will need to cough up another pick on top of 6. Most of us do think it will be pick 23.

Discussions will go into next week.
AFL house loving this, all the drama right up until the last days!

GC looking for a future pick for their pick 13. Could we do something, maybe Rioli and a future 2nd for 6&13.

No doubt Blair is exploring all possibilities.

I do like Craig's reply to Cal who said, I guess Collingwood is sitting in front of the race there re GC pick 13.

"I wouldn't say they are in front".

Last edited:
His tank must be ok, he's already hit the 40 possession mark, he's also very organised so I'm not overly concerned about his ability to distribute. Unfortunately this draft doesn't have an absolute glamour pick without rolling the dice on upside. Taking O'Sullivan might turn out ok but I don't see midfield numbers that screams bluechip selection. This is one pick you can't afford to waste, even if that means missing out on the best player. I also think the game is swinging back to the shortish midfielders, Rowell, Butters, Serong, Daicos etc. I think this draft is very even but we'll be sizing up x-factor at pick 6 with any luck.
Whats your opinion on Smillie and Langford?
Talk from different outlets that we're keen on one or the other.

Wow does Freo really want to bring in top end talent or will they remain a team just happy to being thereabouts.

It's 10&11 or no deal.
Option 2, get him to west coast for pick 3. Worst case we hold on to him!

DEES EYE SECOND TOP PICK

Melbourne has its eyes on acquiring another first-round pick as it looks to load up at this year’s talent-stacked national draft.

The Demons, as it stands, hold their natural first-round selection (Pick 5) after their disappointing 2024 campaign.

But Melbourne is keen for a second early pick in this year’s draft, to the point where it’s prepared to trade away its future first-rounder.

“This is an outstanding draft. We’d love another pick. We think it’s a ripper to be involved in,” Melbourne list boss Tim Lamb said.

The Demons have their eyes on one of Fremantle’s first-round selections (either Pick 10 or 11), while they’re also among a host of clubs in the race for Gold Coast’s prized Pick 13.

Fremantle is open to a trade, with list boss David Walls suggesting his club was keen on turning one of its three 2024 first-rounders (Picks 10, 11 and 18) into a 2025 first-rounder selection.

That’s definitely a chance. There’s a lot of clubs keen to get back in so we’ll see what happens at the end of trade period and see how many of the first-rounders we’re still holding and if we’ve traded or not,” Walls told AFL Trade Radio on Monday.

“If we’re still holding three, we’d definitely look to roll one forward because we think there’s a strong market for it and we could get overs.”

But Fremantle’s willingness to trade with Melbourne could come down to their pursuit of contracted Tiger Shai Bolton.

The Dockers, according to The Age, are prepared to use Picks 11 and 18 in a trade for contracted Tiger Bolton – who’s keen to join the WA club – but won’t hand over Picks 10 and 11 for the Richmond goalkicker.
Young Brayshaw OOC next year.
Careful Freo if you shaft us with Bolton. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon one of those is our pick 6. I'd almost lock it in.
If we keep pick 6...

How's Jay Clark talking down Shai with his 'struggled for consistency' nonsense. He's been All Australian, and in the last five years his B&F finishes have been 4th (in premiership year), 4th, 4th, 3rd, 5th. Yeah, real inconsistent. And he was leading goal kicker this year, while being top-10 in the comp for centre bounce clearance percentage. The media gaslighting is a disgrace.

Reactions: 23 users
If we keep pick 6...

How's Jay Clark talking down Shai with his 'struggled for consistency' nonsense. He's been All Australian, and in the last five years his B&F finishes have been 4th (in premiership year), 4th, 4th, 3rd, 5th. Yeah, real inconsistent. And he was leading goal kicker this year, while being top-10 in the comp for centre bounce clearance percentage. The media gaslighting is a disgrace.
Shai is and has proven to be a gun in a good side well worth his value in any side that are in contention. In a poor team like we were this season and last he is just above serviceable. So he is better off going somewhere where he can get the most out of himself. Unfortunately the story is different with Dan Rioli he is a gun and gives the same effort regardless of where we sit on the ladder. Personally I think Dan has better trade value than Shai because Dan is Guaranteed return whereas Shai comes with a slight risk of only good in a good team. We should really try and keep Dan

If we keep pick 6...

Yeh, Bolton was our best player for the first 6 or so games, he single handedly kept us in some games. He definitely lost interest at some stage, perhaps it was the realisation of the teams finals chances, perhaps it was the fact he knew he would be leaving at years end.

He is the diff between Freo finishing Top 8 and Top 4, he completes their midfield/forward setup beautifully.

Any oppo supporters I talk to acknowledge he is an elite talent and would love him in their team.

Reactions: 1 users
Shai is and has proven to be a gun in a good side well worth his value in any side that are in contention. In a poor team like we were this season and last he is just above serviceable. So he is better off going somewhere where he can get the most out of himself. Unfortunately the story is different with Dan Rioli he is a gun and gives the same effort regardless of where we sit on the ladder. Personally I think Dan has better trade value than Shai because Dan is Guaranteed return whereas Shai comes with a slight risk of only good in a good team. We should really try and keep Dan
Freo are already a good team with an elite midfield, he is perfect fro them. And if he is happier in his environment you are likely to see some great things from him in a Freo jumper.

Reactions: 2 users
Cornes up to his old tricks anything to do with Richmond surely just for clicks!

Why is he even getting involved in clubs trading? I don't recall him mentioning anything about the deal between Geelong and the Gold Coast Suns with the cats getting Jack Bowes and pick 7 for simply taking over the players contract.

“THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE OUTRAGE”: CORNES SLAMS SUNS FOR PROPOSED DAN RIOLI DEAL​

• Angry
Ha ha ha Cornes.

Says Freo should go after Owies not Bolton and keep their picks.

Says Rioli shouldn't be pursued by GC for 6 and 23.

Moron rings up and says spot on, GC should go after James Worpel to support their midfield!!! WTF, Worpel wouldn't get a game for them if all available.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If we keep pick 6...

It's off the charts. You've got every man and his dog in the AFL led media talking our prospective draft picks and their values down.

It's like one big massive pile on.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Media spoke to Freo recruiting guy Robert Walls son David Walls and asked about Bolton and he said something along the lines we would like to keep one of our top picks from our 3 first-rounders and the media vultures went with 10 and 18.

Blair has given the media zilch but I have no doubt Blair will get 10&11
You will pay what we ask for Walls and that is 10 and 11 (below link should open from the West Australian)

Fremantle list boss David Walls insist Dockers won't be overpaying despite high asking price for Shai Bolton​

https://archive.md/MSBfw

The thing I keep hearing from Freo fans, is that no-one is worth that amount of trade value, 10 and 11? Seriously. Not like we are asking for 2 top 5 picks.

Guarantee if they get him for 10 and 11, in a years time they will think its good business, if its 10 and 18, they'll be talking for a long time how they fleeced us out of such a good player.

Reactions: 4 users
Its all noise - the only bloke worth listening to is Callum Twomey. He has the inside word.

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
I heard this dude ring up SEN yesterday saying he was totally over all the anti Richmond bias with the AFL and various people on SEN. He said he was so frustrated that if this was how the AFL and media were gonna play, then Richmond should spread the pain and shut up shop on Rioli and Bolton, keep all our current picks and then bid on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Marshall. That way, Freo, GC, Brisbane, Essendon all get to feel the bias ricochet, complain their guts out to the AFL, and the AFL realises it's compromised its interstate darlings that it's so desperate to see succeed.

It had some merit hah hah hah...

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
He does?
Nah not with trades.

Twomey is still a nuffy, but he has good links with player managers for upcoming drafts.

Nah he clearly has the best intel on trades as well ILO Dell.

Most of the other journo's don't have his links so just copy what he says.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard this dude ring up SEN yesterday saying he was totally over all the anti Richmond bias with the AFL and various people on SEN. He said he was so frustrated that if this was how the AFL and media were gonna play, then Richmond should spread the pain and shut up shop on Rioli and Bolton, keep all our current picks and then bid on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, Marshall. That way, Freo, GC, Brisbane, Essendon all get to feel the bias ricochet, complain their guts out to the AFL, and the AFL realises it's compromised its interstate darlings that it's so desperate to see succeed.

It had some merit hah hah hah...
He must have read my post!