2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Sheer incompetence!

We are going to be so under the cap why couldn't our club say to the eagles up his contract we'll pay X amount towards it so we can get a better compo pic.
You can't pay any of his salary, he's a free agent. We can pay some of Rioli's or Bolton's if need be as they are under contract at our footy club

Reactions: 1 user
Parish came from nowhere in 2021 and his form that year had him easily Top 5 mid of that year. I think playing for that rabble has not helped his profile or career. The rest you name have mostly spent time in teams at the pointy end. None of the yonger guys named have produced numbers like Parish did in 2021. Nor many of the older ones.

Anyway, I think Jagga can be a similar type, a good balance of inside and outside the contest as well as getting involved in scoring chains.
If Jagga is anything like Parish,we don't want him full stop ,,but l don't want Jagga full stop :ROFLMAO: :peepwall

Reactions: 2 users
You can't pay any of his salary, he's a free agent. We can pay some of Rioli's or Bolton's if need be as they are under contract at our footy club

I posted that yesterday pay some of bakes or Bolton's contract to offset grahams contract so we get a better compo pick.

I'm just a supporter and even I know to try and maximise a better compo pick

I posted that yesterday pay some of bakes or Bolton's contract to offset grahams contract so we get a better compo pick.

All G, we could have gone another way about it but I still think this is around Graham's value, it's just other free agents are getting well overpaid resulting in ridiculous compo.

I'm fact I don't think we have had a FA win apart from getting Lynch for nadda

We can't pay any of Bakes either as he's not under contract with us. And Bolton isn't currently going to WC.

Reactions: 1 users

just coz ya post it, dont make it right yeah

see the zillions of posts, tweets et al regarding Dustin for proof of my wise words

• Haha
We can't pay any of Bakes either as he's not under contract with us. And Bolton isn't currently going to WC.

Fair enough. But as the old saying goes if there's a will there's a way ;)
Cumming and perryman netting two first rounders for gws sucks!

Last edited:
All G, we could have gone another way about it but I still think this is around Graham's value, it's just other free agents are getting well overpaid resulting in ridiculous compo.

I'm fact I don't think we have had a FA win apart from getting Lynch for nadda

That's the thing a 4 year contract, said to be worth 2.5 mill should've gotten us band 3 at least (pick 25).

Yeah we got dicked on Brandon's long term contract.

There is an amazing feeding frenzy for picks in this years draft, I haven't seen anything like it.

You want to do it in trade period if you can as there will be a further frenzy for pick swaps on draft night.

Last edited:
There is an amazing feeding frenzy for picks in this years draft, I haven't seen anything like it.

You want to do it in trade period if you can as there will be a further frenzy for pick swaps on draft night.
Says a lot about this year’s draft compared to next.
I don’t think we should be looking to trade into next year’s draft unless it’s for a very early pick.

Reactions: 5 users
I hope we also get 23 as pies are trying to get their hands on it. Get it done Blair 10&11 for Shai
Other than that it looks 👍

AFL trade period: Richmond set to finish with up to seven first-round picks after exodus of stars​

Rivals are planning to test the resolve of more Richmond stars in trade talks after this year’s Punt Road exodus. Plus, how many draft picks will the Tigers end up with?
@ClarkyHeraldSun
October 8, 2024

Richmond to receive multiple top picks for departing stars

Richmond has begun talks on deals which will deliver the club an historic package of early draft picks to help turbocharge the Tigers’ rebuild.
The Tigers are preparing to secure a suite of eight early choices which could see Adem Yze’s men hold selections 1, 6, 10, 14, 18, 20 and 24 by the trade deadline next Wednesday night.

Richmond also secured pick 42 as free agency compensation for Jack Graham’s exit but that could be swept up in a swap with Brisbane to nab the Lions’ pick 20.

The Herald Sun revealed on Tuesday the Tigers had received an end-of-second round compensation pick for Graham’s move to West Coast on a four-year deal as an unrestricted free agent.

The Lions are eager to off-load pick 20 for a suite of later selections such as the Tigers’ cluster of second and third-round picks to help Brisbane bank points for father-son jet Levi Ashcroft and academy prospect Sam Marshall.

The Tigers will snare pick six (as a minimum) and 23 for Daniel Rioli (Gold Coast), pick 14 for Liam Baker (West Coast), and look set to land 10 and 18 for Shai Bolton (Fremantle).
The deals will put the Tigers in an extraordinary position to hand-pick its next wave of young stars in one hit although Richmond will look to trade at least one of the picks into next year.

List boss Blair Hartley has begun talks with the Suns, Dockers and Eagles on the deals which could trickle into next week as the finer details and lesser pick swaps are thrashed out.

The situation makes the Tigers’ premiership talent expert the busiest man in football over the next eight days as he looks to lay the foundation for the club’s next shot at a premiership.

But the Tigers’ dealings will also involve other clubs as well, as Melbourne is looking to trade a future pick with either Richmond or Fremantle to give the Demons another first-round choice.
Rivals are already setting their sights on stars including Tim Taranto. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Rivals are already setting their sights on stars including Tim Taranto. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Tigers list boss Blair Hartley. Picture: Josh Chadwick/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Tigers list boss Blair Hartley.

The Demons already hold the number five selection after a dismal year on and off field.

Gold Coast is prepared to hand over pick six for best-and-fairest winner Rioli as part of an exchange which bears resemblance to Adelaide’s move on Izak Rankine for pick five two years ago.

The Suns could also look to involve pick 23 in a deal as the Suns prepare to send Jack Lukosius to Port Adelaide in exchange for the Power’s top selection next year.

The Dockers are well-placed to hand over 10 and 18 for Bolton who has shown tremendous upside but battled to produce his best form consistently in yellow and black.

Baker’s move to West Coast looks straightforward as the Eagles wait to receive pick 14 from Hawthorn for Tom Barrass and hand then on to Richmond for Baker.
Liam Baker is set to be traded to West Coast. Picture: Michael Klein

Liam Baker is set to be traded to West Coast. Picture: Michael Klein

The Eagles also want a secondary pick such as a future second-rounder to give up Barrass to Waverley where he is expected to help make the Hawks a top-four contender alongside departed Saints’ backman Josh Battle.
Barrass, who is regarded as one of the best defenders in the league, turned 29 on Tuesday.

While the Hawks are on the up, the departure of four of the Tigers’ best players will leave the club exposed on the field next year and the clear favourite for the wooden spoon.

WHO COULD THE TIGERS TAKE?​

PICK 1

WHO THEY COULD TAKE - Sam Lalor in among the top talents linked to Richmond, while No.1 pick contenders Jagga Smith, Finn O’Sullivan and Harvey Langford have all played for their VFL side.

PICK 6 AND 23 (VIA GOLD COAST)

WHO THEY COULD TAKE - Could 194cm bull Josh Smillie or fleet-footed South Australian Sid Draper still be on the board? Harry Armstrong is an option as the standout key forward in the crop, while bolter Alix Tauru, an athletic interceptor, has surged into top-10 calculations. Cooper Hynes, a forward is slated to go around the pick 23 range.

paragraphimage-0_Vxi7hAPcl.jpg

PICK 10 (VIA FREMANTLE)

WHO THEY COULD TAKE - Tobie Travaglia (pictured) draws similarities to Will Day with his ball-use, running capacity and versatility, but will he gone by this point? WA defender-midfielder Bo Allan is 191cm and has hops and agility, while Murphy Reid oozes class and is a goalkicking threat.

PICK 14, 18 (VIA HAWTHORN/WEST COAST AND FREMANTLE)

WHO THEY COULD TAKE - Some promising key forwards should be available at this range of the draft in 200cm prospect Jack Whitlock and marking tall Jobe Shanahan, who starred for Essendon’s VFL side. Tall defender Luke Tainor could also be around the mark, same goes with classy Morrish medallist Xavier Lindsay and goalsneak Joe Berry.

PICK 20 (VIA BRISBANE LIONS), 24

WHO THEY COULD TAKE - Creative forward-mid Jesse Dattoli has put himself into this range of the draft. Key forward Jonty Faull would appeal if they don’t pick up a key forward earlier. Cooper Hynes and Tom Gross can impact up forward or in the midfield and may both be on the board.

It will put the onus on key recruits Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper to carry a huge load in the midfield after joining the club at the end of 2022 to be part of a premiership push.
The Tigers gave up picks 12 and 19 for Taranto and a future first-rounder and pick 31 for Hopper.
Clubs are expected to make longshot plays for the two midfielders next year who both lobbed at Punt Rd on lucrative seven-year deals.
The pair have said they are committed to the Richmond rebuild but that faith could be tested if the losses mount next year.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
TIGERS IN BOX SEAT FOR TOP-20 PICK
RICHMOND'S compensation pick for losing Jack Graham puts the club in an even stronger position to acquire Brisbane's first-round selection to add to their draft suite.

The Tigers received band four compensation for Graham, which became pick 42. Richmond now holds picks No.1, 24, 32, 42, 43, 45, 51, 61, 70 and 76, with the Tigers looking to bundle potentially three picks for the Lions' No.20 choice.

If there’s any truth to the Taranto Hopper talk then clubs should just stop offering multi year contracts.

Parish came from nowhere in 2021 and his form that year had him easily Top 5 mid of that year. I think playing for that rabble has not helped his profile or career. The rest you name have mostly spent time in teams at the pointy end. None of the yonger guys named have produced numbers like Parish did in 2021. Nor many of the older ones.

Anyway, I think Jagga can be a similar type, a good balance of inside and outside the contest as well as getting involved in scoring chains.
2021 coaches award.
Parish was very good, top 10 (9th)

But coaches preferred the match winners, the absolute elite.
Bigger stronger mids.

If Jags ends up a Parish then it's not a great #1 selection.
We want more

LEADERBOARD​

VOTESPLAYERCLUB
114Clayton OliverMELB
101Marcus BontempelliWB
101Ollie WinesPORT
100Jack SteeleSTK
97Touk MillerGCFC
92Sam WalshCARL
91Zach MerrettESS
86Christian PetraccaMELB
81Darcy ParishESS