2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Weird they did the yo yo test back in March 2024

Yo-Yo​

Jett McLaughlan (Northern Knights/Diamond Creek) Level 22.4
Archie Caldow (GWV Rebels/East Point) 22.2
Josh Dolan (Sandringham Dragons/Beaumaris) 22.1
Jeremy Newsome (Eastern Ranges/Healesville) 22.1
Harry Albon (Calder Cannons/Craigieburn) 21.8
Nedd Bennett (GWV Rebels/East Point) 21.8
Ryan Commandeur (Northern Knights/St Mary’s) 21.8
Liam Farrar (Northern Knights/Diamond Creek) 21.8
Patrick Said (Calder Cannons/Sunbury) 21.8
Zach Travers (Sandringham Dragons/Old Brighton) 21.8

Reactions: 1 users

TALLS IMPRESS IN COMBINE TESTING​

NORTHERN Knights tall forward Gabriel Stumpf caught the eye of scouts on Sunday at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine, recording the equal fifth quickest 20-metre sprint in testing history.

The 196cm prospect proved his athleticism by winning the event with a 2.81 second run. He also won the vertical jumps test with a leap of 76cm and was fifth in the running jump (left hand) test.

Gold Coast Academy product Leo Lombard once again showed his powerful attributes by finishing second in the sprint (2.85 seconds) as well as blitzing the agility test, completing it in 7.812 seconds. That placed the ready-to-go prospect in the sixth best agility time in Combine history.

Leo Lombard in action at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine on October 6, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Rhys Unwin (2.91 seconds), Jasper Alger (2.93) and Malakai Champion (2.94) were also among the quickest in the sprint, while likely top-five pick, midfielder Finn O'Sullivan, won the running jump (left hand) test with a leap of 93cm and was second in the right hand jump at 92cm.

O'Sullivan was also eighth in the agility test (8.14 seconds).

He was beaten in the running jump (right hand) test by Gippsland Power's Alix Tauru, who jumped at 94cm. It marked the end of an impressive Combine for Tauru, who has pushed right into the mix as a top-10 pick with his second half of the season.

Tauru, nicknamed the 'Flying Viking' for his Swedish heritage, was also in the top 10 for the running jump (left hand) and completed the 20-metre sprint in 3.00 seconds. – Callum Twomey

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/fixture?Competition=3&Season=72&Round=1106
FOS is my man, has everything 8th Agility, 1st and 2nd in running vertical leap, sub 3sec 20m sprint added to football brain and leadership I would be staggered if we don't call him at pick 1

Reactions: 13 users
FOS is my man, has everything 8th Agility, 1st and 2nd in running vertical leap, sub 3sec 20m sprint added to football brain and leadership I would be staggered if we don't call him at pick 1

Yeah I've liked him from the start. Nothing from his testing has changed that for me. He's still my number 1. He and Jagga would be an ideal pairing.

Reactions: 4 users
Simply must go 1. When the majority of other players say it, you should listen. Shown elite qualities in Coates League, showed elite traits in VFL game, great aerobic testing and acknowledged as having outstanding leadership qualities

Reactions: 2 users

He has heaps going for him Julius. Like you say.

Not sure football brain is one. Doesn't really know when and where to run to keep involved in the game. He gets by more on individual brilliance ATM.

It's an area he can hopefully learn in AFL with good mentors. But knowing how to link-up in play i.e. football brain isn't a strength ILO.

Compare that to say a Jagga he is a way off in that area.

Reactions: 2 users
First you tried to steal Shai from me, now you're claiming MY man FOS is your man?! This won't stand!

Not sure football brain is one. Doesn't really know when and where to run to keep involved in the game. He gets by more on individual brilliance ATM.

It's an area he can hopefully learn in AFL with good mentors. But knowing how to link-up in play i.e. football brain isn't a strength ILO.

It's a bit easier for Jagga to link up when the bloke he gave it to is within spitting distance. ;)

First you tried to steal Shai from me, now you're claiming MY man FOS is your man?! This won't stand!
:ROFLMAO:I stole Shai from nobody, to be fair my first live watch of FOS was at the VFL and I saw traits that was all that I needed to see but no doubt you were on FOS well before me.

• Love
:LOL: You reckon FoS doesn't have a bit to learn on how to get more involved in general play?

Is it currently a strength?
Nah, I'm just having fun with you Jaggastans.

:ROFLMAO:I stole Shai from nobody, to be fair my first live watch of FOS was at the VFL and I saw traits that was all that I needed to see but no doubt you were on FOS well before me.
Bloody oath you didn't steal Shai from me! I let you share!

• Haha

Fair point, in the games i saw FOS was the more outwardly spoken leader as in directing team mates where to position themselves goes but Jagga has an equally if not greater leadership but under stated resume. FOS has superior aerial strength which is where the Heeney comparison sets in.
I won't argue against Jagga just plug for FOS.
i think FOS is a natural footballer and does not rely on brilliance alone but getting more of the pill will be a projection that recruiters will have to make.

Just in relation to the agility test FOS's 8th place 8.14 seconds would have placed him 1st in the 2023 agility test.

Combine results are far from the be all and end all, interesting to note Kane Mcauliffe recorded a 20m sprint time of 2,93 sec and a running verticle leap of 95cm both better than FOS but I have seen no signs of this in Kane's career to date although he still looks promising as a player.