2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Over 20 metres it means a fair bit. They're averaging 7m per second over the 20. That's from a standing start - by the 20m mark they're going significantly faster than that. Even at 7m/s they cover 2.8m in 0.4s. So Lombard would put 4m on Langford over 20.
Thats all good if you are recruiting for track and field ,but the AFL matches are generally for 120 minutes .
I will say if player's testing are slow ,or have poor endurance ,AVOID,but in general you go on there performances in matches.

Reactions: 3 users
Hannaford the big one for Leysy with 20m times. Wasn't 100% sure on his pace but that is well brisk enough.

Reckon him and Berry are way ahead of the next lot in the small forward stakes. Well ahead of Kako.

Depending on where our picks land we should seriously be considering either (or both) of those lads ILO.
You gone off Trevaglia ,and now on the hannaford,Tauru bandwagon Leysy.
Kako is a good player.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats all good if you are recruiting for track and field ,but the AFL matches are generally for 120 minutes .
I will say if player's testing are slow ,or have poor endurance ,AVOID,but in general you go on there performances in matches.
What do you consider slow though? Do you have a cut off?
I agree that it’s only a guide but lack of endurance a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn't the agility test just the one where they run around the poles. Takes like 8 seconds.

I think the only endurance testing they do these days is the 2km according to this.

Yes and that's the one I am after.

AFL Agility Test : This is a specific slalom-type agility test developed for AFL, which involves running in, out and around obstacles over roughly 40 meters in total. The ability to quickly change direction is very important for AFL to be able to get clear of an opponent, or move through congestion.

Agility test: A run will be stopped and restarted if the player touches or knocks over any pole. Players run the course three times at maximum effort (with 2-3 minutes recovery between tests). The best of the three times is recorded.

Reactions: 2 users
It is now just called 'Agility Test' so any word on those would be great
Be stunned if they’ve dropped the yo-yo test.
Nothing to do with agility. It’s very tailored to gut running and ability to go again. It actually replaced the beep test

Reactions: 1 users
Be stunned if they’ve dropped the yo-yo test.
Nothing to do with agility. It’s very tailored to gut running and ability to go again. It actually replaced the beep test
Yeah they did the yo-yo test for the Coates Talent League 2024 pre-season testing so not sure why they wouldn't do an equivalent. I found this that said the yo-yo was replaced by the Beep test in 2017 but I can't find anywhere stating that they are ding the Beep in 2024.

Yo-Yo Test

In 2017 the Yo-Yo test replaced the beep test, after the latter was found to be not the best indicator of fitness for team sports.

The Yo-Yo has similarities to the gruelling beep test in that players will need to run between cones that are 20m apart at timed intervals. Participants have a 10-second recovery period between the 20m sprints where they are required to jog to another cone and then back to the starting point before the next shuttle begins.

A prospect's score in the Yo-Yo test can be presented in total distance run, the level achieved or his maximum rate of oxygen consumption. The Yo-Yo is shown to be a reliable indicator of high-intensity aerobic capacity in athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TALLS IMPRESS IN COMBINE TESTING​

NORTHERN Knights tall forward Gabriel Stumpf caught the eye of scouts on Sunday at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine, recording the equal fifth quickest 20-metre sprint in testing history.

The 196cm prospect proved his athleticism by winning the event with a 2.81 second run. He also won the vertical jumps test with a leap of 76cm and was fifth in the running jump (left hand) test.

Gold Coast Academy product Leo Lombard once again showed his powerful attributes by finishing second in the sprint (2.85 seconds) as well as blitzing the agility test, completing it in 7.812 seconds. That placed the ready-to-go prospect in the sixth best agility time in Combine history.

Leo Lombard in action at the Telstra AFL Draft Combine on October 6, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Rhys Unwin (2.91 seconds), Jasper Alger (2.93) and Malakai Champion (2.94) were also among the quickest in the sprint, while likely top-five pick, midfielder Finn O'Sullivan, won the running jump (left hand) test with a leap of 93cm and was second in the right hand jump at 92cm.

O'Sullivan was also eighth in the agility test (8.14 seconds).

He was beaten in the running jump (right hand) test by Gippsland Power's Alix Tauru, who jumped at 94cm. It marked the end of an impressive Combine for Tauru, who has pushed right into the mix as a top-10 pick with his second half of the season.

Tauru, nicknamed the 'Flying Viking' for his Swedish heritage, was also in the top 10 for the running jump (left hand) and completed the 20-metre sprint in 3.00 seconds. – Callum Twomey

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/fixture?Competition=3&Season=72&Round=1106

Reactions: 2 users