2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

This will throw the cat amongst the pigeons!!
Did they compile this over the weekend instead of watching the footy?
Speed.

Reid. Langford. High.
Draper low.

Speed

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers in line for extraordinary draft bounty

The Tigers will shape the trade period with deals for outgoing stars.

Herald Sun - Jay Clark & Jon Ralph

Richmond will believe it is perfectly placed to head to the national draft with a phenomenal six selections in the first 21 draft picks as the club’s trades for three outgoing stars take shape.

The AFL’s free agency period kicks off on Friday, with compensation for St Kilda over Josh Battle’s departure the most intriguing question mark given a six-year Hawks offer of just under $900,000 a season. ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney are among the clubs breathing a sigh of relief, after the AFL informed teams that 'Band 2' compensation picks will fall before North Melbourne's pair of end-of-first round selections.

Sydney and Gold Coast, who own the pair of Kangaroos picks, now face the prospect of falling further down the draft order should any of this year's free agency departures be deemed worthy of 'Band 2' or end-of-first round compensation.

But Richmond’s monumental decision to allow contracted players Shai Bolton (Fremantle) and Daniel Rioli (Gold Coast) to leave will shape the trade period, which runs from October 7-16.

Uncontracted vice-captain Liam Baker is also on the move with a move to the Eagles everything but confirmed.

Some of those players made clear as they departed that coach Adem Yze needed to take more control of a young group with more discipline and a defined game plan as well as working on his existing strong relationships.

[PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD] is Western Australia bound. Picture: Getty Images

Liam Baker is Western Australia bound. Picture: Getty Images

There was a level of frustration that some players old and younger were allowed too many liberties around their professionalism and adherence to game plan.

The club is aware of the player feedback, even though senior players were also frustrated at Bolton playing on instinct and diverting from the game plan at times.

Departing chief executive Brendon Gale made clear in a recent podcast that Yze was prepared to “take a lot more responsibility” and “start to really put his fingerprints on this team” in 2025.

While Richmond is yet to lock in trades with rival clubs the centrepiece of those trades will allow Richmond to secure one of footy’s best draft hauls in recent memory, excluding expansion sides.

Richmond has asked Gold Coast for their No. 6 pick and another early selection for Rioli and while that seems a ridiculous ambit claim the Suns are prepared to hand over their No. 6 pick as part of a deal.

[PLAYERCARD]Daniel Rioli[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Shai Bolton[/PLAYERCARD] are likely on the move. Picture: Getty Images

Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton are likely on the move. Picture: Getty Images

Fremantle is prepared to offer one of picks 9 or 10 for Bolton (contracted to 2028) and the Dockers’ No. 16 pick but not both of picks 9 and 10.

The Dockers would have used picks 9 or 10 to secure the 26-year-old if Baker chose them.

But with Baker choosing West Coast, the Tigers are likely to secure Hawthorn’s No. 13 draft pick after the Eagles secure it in a trade for Tom Barrass.

So while all of those deals could yet have many other elements — including Richmond even handing back later picks — the Tigers will believe they can secure four picks within 16 for that trio.

With their own picks currently 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72, it will give Richmond six picks within 21.

Early bids on Brisbane’s Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast’s Leo Lombard will push out some of Richmond’s draft selections.

But on draft night if the Tigers keep those picks they could hope to have two of the first seven picks, four of the top 15 picks and seven of the top 35 picks given they also retain pick 29.

If the Tigers can use picks like 29, 39, 41 and 47 and trade them to a club like the Suns or Gold Coast for an earlier to use for academy players they can again strengthen their draft hand.

[PLAYERCARD]Adem Yze[/PLAYERCARD] has a big task ahead of him at Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

Adem Yze has a big task ahead of him at Richmond. Picture: Getty Images

Gale told a club podcast in August he was confident Yze would put his imprint on the club next year as it quickly bounced back up the ladder.

“We have had a coach come in. And we believe he’s extremely capable and he’s carried himself extremely well but it’s fair to say he comes into the program which has been successful,” he said.

“He is following a coach of historical standing (Damien Hardwick) and he has premiership players everywhere, and I reckon he’s just sat back a bit, coupled with an incredibly unprecedented run of injury. And what you will see of Adam next year is a coach that takes a lot more responsibility.

“This is his team and he will intervene and poke and prod and start to really put his fingerprints on the team which will create its own energy and momentum.

“At this stage there is an opportunity to turn this club around in a couple of years. We have a really strong platform, a strong organisation, a culture and shared understanding of what it takes and our own supporters understand what it takes. It’s not reacting, it’s making evidence-based decisions and we will be back in no time.”

Liam.jpg
shai and dan.jpg

agree,

the idea of swapping two of Travaglia, berry, Armstrong, Lindsay, Draper, Trainor, Faull, Tauru etc etc

for one of Lalor/FOS

doesn't make sense to me.

they havnt really demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that they are better than any one of them, let alone two

But of course it might make perfect, dynastically sense one day?
Would you look at it the same way if FOS was taken at pick 1 and Smith was still available?

You can't take both of Lalor/FOS. Not managing the risk.

If we take Jagga at 1, you will get one of the two at 6 I reckon.

Right mix of risk and skill set.
I can understand some reservations with Lalor but what long term injury concern does FOS have ? What is the big risk ?

Would you look at it the same way if FOS was taken at pick 1 and Smith was still available?
Smith and FOS is a great mix but if we don't take Smith at 1, we won't get another look at him.

We many not get a look at FOS either but there is more chance of FOS being there at 3 or 6 than Jagger.

And I'm not anti FOS, I think he will be a good forward mid like De Goey but it will take time. We are desperate for pure mids who win the ball and spread from the contest, it's a needs pick for us based on two guys being 1 and 1a.

I can understand some reservations with Lalor but what long term injury concern does FOS have ? What is the big risk ?
Brittle. Can't string games together. And I like the fact with Lalor he has only been in a full time AFL training regime for one season, split his time with cricket. The upside is crazy. I don't think there's much difference between FOS and Lalor in the roles they play at the next level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Smith adn FOS is a great mix but if we don't take Smith at 1, we won't get another look at him.

We many not get a look at FOS either but there is more chance of FOS being there at 3 or 6 than Jagger.

And I'm not anti FOS, I think he will be a good forward mid like De Goey but it will take time. We are desperate for pure mids who win the ball and spread from the contest, it's a needs pick for us based on two guys being 1 and 1a.

Brittle. Can't string games together. And I like the fact with Lalor he has only been in a full time AFL training regime for one season, split his time with cricket. The upside is crazy. I don't think there's much difference between FOS and Lalor in the roles they play at the next level.
I still think there is more chance of jagger slipping than FOS

Reactions: 4 users
Smith adn FOS is a great mix but if we don't take Smith at 1, we won't get another look at him.

So who is the bigger injury risk in your mind, FOS or Lalor and why ? I am a big Lalor fan as well but I would think a 10 week hammy is of more concern than anything FOS has had so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

yeah I think so.

unless its dusty, I dont think 2 for 1 is % in a deep draft.

Think Id take two of Berry, Travaglia, Lindsay, Faull etc etc all those blokes with great CV's, over one of Jagga

would you have Kai Lohmann and Logan Morris over Will Ashcroft?

its not an easy one, but I think I take the 2 blokes in a rebuild.

spread the risk, potentially accelerate things

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
yeah I think so.

unless its dusty, I dont think 2 for 1 is % in a deep draft.

Think Id take two of Berry, Travaglia, Lindsay, Faull etc etc all those blokes with great CV's, over one of Jagga
Disagree. Smith is as near a certain AFL player as you get at 18yo. His floor is an ok footballer, his ceiling is multiple AA, best player on the best team level.
Those other guys might be good, they might be better than just good, but they might also be out of the league in 6 years.

While we will pick Smith at 1, so it is a moot argument, i would take him over 2 of the players available in the teens.

By your way of thinking, we should be looking to trade pick 1 to a team that has multiple 1st rd picks- say the Saints, if they get pick 8 for Battle.

Disagree. Smith is as near a certain AFL player as you get at 18yo. His floor is an ok footballer, his ceiling is multiple AA, best player on the best team level.
Those other guys might be good, they might be better than just good, but they might also be out of the league in 6 years.

While we will pick Smith at 1, so it is a moot argument, i would take him over 2 of the players available in the teens.

By your way of thinking, we should be looking to trade pick 1 to a team that has multiple 1st rd picks- say the Saints, if they get pick 8 for Battle.

theres absolutely no way im gonna argue against jagga Smith

and yes, it is moot, because will call him at 1.

I thought I wasn't splitting pick 6?

theres absolutely no way im gonna argue against jagga Smith
good call.

but for those saying there is no way we should look to trade 2 picks for a top 3 selection, why arent they suggesting trading pick 1 for a couple of lower 1st rd picks?

good call.

but for those saying there is no way we should look to trade 2 picks for a top 3 selection, why arent they suggesting trading pick 1 for a couple of lower 1st rd picks?

im finding it pretty hard to keep track of all the hypotheticals these days

I think im just gonna pick the whole first round to Richmond and give it away.

here goes

1. Jagga Smith (RFC)
2. (Bid) Malachi Champion, WC can't match (RFC)
3.. Joe Berry (RFC)
4. Finn O'sullivan (RFC)
5. Sam Lalor (RFC)
6 Harvey Langford (RFC)
7. Murphy Reid (RFC)
8. Luke Trainor (RFC)
9.Xavier Lindsay (RFC)
10. Toby Travgalia (RFC)
11. Sid Draper (RFC)
12 Taj Hotton (RFC)
13. Alex Tauro (RFC)
14. Bo Allen (RFC)