2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

We had the pick for Lohmann.
We did, we took Brown, and this is where I was getting at on another thread around rising stars and those that are either top 20 or play in finals teams. Whilst they are both top 20 picks, Lohmann has had the luxury of getting his best run of games, in a side that went on to win the granny.

If he played fir us, we'd have people on here espousing how much of a dud he was etc. as I doubt someone like Kai would have looked good in our side this year.

Some make it seem that its all down to the player as to how they look on the field, but the reality is there are 22 players out there and if the majority of them aren't playing well, there will be some that look downright ordinary.

Its why I give our crop a longer bow than some on here do.

Reactions: 17 users

I think if his family read that, no matter how desensitised to the 🤮 on the internet,

they'd be very angry and a bit despondent.

he's a kid, ranked about 40 out of 7 billion.

you can get your viewpoint across strongly in a civil way.

something like 'there are 5 or 6 full forwards better than him in my opinion'

please be better

Reactions: 22 users
We did, we took Brown, and this is where I was getting at on another thread around rising stars and those that are either top 20 or play in finals teams. Whilst they are both top 20 picks, Lohmann has had the luxury of getting his best run of games, in a side that went on to win the granny.

If he played fir us, we'd have people on here espousing how much of a dud he was etc. as I doubt someone like Kai would have looked good in our side this year.

Some make it seem that its all down to the player as to how they look on the field, but the reality is there are 22 players out there and if the majority of them aren't playing well, there will be some that look downright ordinary.

Its why I give our crop a longer bow than some on here do.
I get your point, to a point, but it’s obvious at this point that Lohmann has Brown well and truly covered ability wise. In actual fact, Lohmann looks a genuine star in the making whilst Brown looks only promising.
Not sure that much chasm between them has to do with players around them

Reactions: 3 users
Wells's last 2 top 10 picks are Jhye Clarke (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=7056&pid2=6971&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2022) and Nakia Cockatoo. His next 2 highest picks recently are Jordan Clarke and Cooper Stephens.

In case there was any doubt, we should definitely be picking Jagga Smith.
Yeah. It’s interesting how we build up recruiters and when you dig deep they have all had misses.
Wells’ best work has always been finding players that others haven’t rated as highly. That and bringing in players from other clubs and them performing well.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. It’s interesting how we build up recruiters and when you dig deep they have all had misses.
Wells’ best work has always been finding players that others haven’t rated as highly. That and bringing in players from other clubs and them performing well.

the secret to wells in the last 10 years has been the ability to attract superstars for unders

Cameron and Danger are that good, that adding competent low cost role players get them into finals every year

Reactions: 1 users
I got some mail in the week of Dusty's 300th that I held onto as it didn't match the joy of the occasion.

It came directly from a friend/associate of the great man's. Dusty was reportedly annoyed by how loose the young players had become and the lack of consequences around certain on-field and off-field actions. He said standards had dropped, discipline had fallen away and some players were taking advantage of the more relaxed atmosphere.

The comment that really stuck with me, though, was that he apparently said, 'It wouldn't have been allowed to happen under Dimma'.
No disrespect, but Dusty didn't cover himself in glory this year. Looked unfit , couldn't run , travelled while injured to , didn't buy in.

RICHMOND’S PHENOMENAL TRADE-PERIOD POSITION

Jon Ralph
Richmond will feel it is perfectly placed to go to the draft with a phenomenal six selections in the first 21 picks as the club’s trades for three outgoing stars take shape.
The AFL’s free agency period kicks off on Friday, with compensation for St Kilda over Josh Battle’s departure to Hawthorn the most intriguing question mark.
But Richmond’s monumental decision to allow contracted players Shai Bolton (Fremantle) and Daniel Rioli (Gold Coast) to leave will shape the trade period, which runs from October 7-16.
Uncontracted vice-captain Liam Baker is also on the move but is yet to officially select a home as he chooses between West Coast and Fremantle.
Some of those players made it clear as they departed that coach Adem Yze needed to take more control of a young group.
There was a level of frustration that some players – old and younger – were allowed too many liberties around their professionalism and adherence to game plan.
The club is aware of the player feedback, even though senior players were also frustrated at Bolton playing on instinct and diverting from the game plan at times.
Departing chief executive Brendon Gale made it clear in a recent podcast that Yze was prepared to “take a lot more responsibility” and “start to really put his fingerprints on this team” in 2025.
While Richmond is yet to lock in trades with rival clubs, the centrepiece of those trades will allow it to secure footy’s best draft hauls in recent memory excluding expansion sides.
Richmond has asked Gold Coast for its No.6 pick and another early selection for Rioli and, while that seems a ridiculous ambit claim, the Suns are prepared to hand over their No.6 pick as part of a deal.
Fremantle is prepared to offer one of picks 9 or 10 for Bolton (contracted to 2028) and its No.16 pick, but not both of picks 9 and 10.
The Dockers are still hopeful Baker might choose them.
Fremantle would then use either pick 9 or 10 to secure the 26-year-old.
But if Baker chooses West Coast, the Tigers are likely to secure Hawthorn’s No.13 draft pick after the Eagles secure it in a trade for Tom Barrass.
So, while all of those deals could yet have many other elements – including Richmond even handing back later picks – the Tigers will think they can secure four picks within 16 for that trio.
With its own picks currently 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 72, the trade haul will give Richmond six picks within 21.
Early bids on Brisbane’s Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast’s Leo Lombard will push out some of Richmond’s draft selections.
But on draft night, if the Tigers keep those picks, they could hope to have two of the first seven picks, four of the top 15 picks and seven of the top 35 picks as they also retain pick 29.
Gale told a club podcast in August he was confident Yze would put his imprint on Richmond next year as it quickly bounced back up the ladder.
“We have had a coach come in,’’ he said. “And we believe he’s extremely capable and he’s carried himself extremely well but it’s fair to say he comes into the program which has been successful.
“He is following a coach of historical standing (Damien Hardwick) and he has premiership players everywhere and I reckon he’s just sat back a bit, coupled with an incredibly unprecedented run of injury. And what you will see of Adem next year is a coach that takes a lot more responsibility.
“This is his team and he will intervene and poke and prod and start to really put his fingerprints on the team which will create its own energy and momentum.’’
Can't remember who it was one of the training watchers here made the observation I think the week we played against hawks.

Was at training, and Yze told them to play a certain way in training and some of the senior group didn't and we're stopped and given a bake on one certain occasion. Then game dday that week , the first quarter some of the players went away from what was required we're told to adjust, and we we're back in the game.

Me personally I still maintain we had a few bad apples in the senior group pulling the opposite way.

I get your point, to a point, but it’s obvious at this point that Lohmann has Brown well and truly covered ability wise. In actual fact, Lohmann looks a genuine star in the making whilst Brown looks only promising.
Not sure that much chasm between them has to do with players around them

Swap teams and I reckon you could be thinking the opposite. Agree that Lohmann genuinely looks like a very good player, but would he look good in our team?

Put Brown into that Brisbane team that controls the ball through kicking through the corridor, you don't think he'd look great in that side too?

I think especially for those 2nd string players that aren't the superstar mids, they will always look much much better in the best sides than they do in the worst.

Reactions: 8 users
Can't remember who it was one of the training watchers here made the observation I think the week we played against hawks.

Was at training, and Yze told them to play a certain way in training and some of the senior group didn't and we're stopped and given a bake on one certain occasion. Then game dday that week , the first quarter some of the players went away from what was required we're told to adjust, and we we're back in the game.

Me personally I still maintain we had a few bad apples in the senior group pulling the opposite way.
Early in the year you could see right away how the VFL wanted to play. It was supposedly how the seniors were supposed to play too but it was going to take some time to deprogram senior players. Then the wheels fell off. Perhaps they were pulling the other way in protest, but I'd like to think when under pressure they were unintentionally reverting to a previous program rather than sabotage.

Swap teams and I reckon you could be thinking the opposite. Agree that Lohmann genuinely looks like a very good player, but would he look good in our team?

Put Brown into that Brisbane team that controls the ball through kicking through the corridor, you don't think he'd look great in that side too?

I think especially for those 2nd string players that aren't the superstar mids, they will always look much much better in the best sides than they do in the worst.
That’s an impossible argument to support because they are not in other teams so essentially it’s a guess or an unsubstantiated opinion at best.
My opinion is Brown would not have made their team.

That’s an impossible argument to support because they are not in other teams so essentially it’s a guess or an unsubstantiated opinion at best.
My opinion is Brown would not have made their team.
Posh makes an important point though, context matters a lot. And besides every side has a player or two they got for a bargain with hindsight, and a lot more they should never have drafted with hindsight.

Posh makes an important point though, context matters a lot. And besides every side has a player or two they got for a bargain with hindsight, and a lot more they should never have drafted with hindsight.
Not sure either Posh or myself were talking about draft positions or bargains.
He was basically suggesting that players look better with better players around them. That it undisputed.
But to suggest a very good player would be average in a poor team and a average player would look like a star in a good team is too far a stretch

I think if his family read that, no matter how desensitised to the 🤮 on the internet,

they'd be very angry and a bit despondent.

he's a kid, ranked about 40 out of 7 billion.

you can get your viewpoint across strongly in a civil way.

something like 'there are 5 or 6 full forwards better than him in my opinion'

please be better
Look it's a bit weird but I really don't see what's so bad about calling someone a chocolate sundae.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Word is we're trying to get 2 from North & 3 from WC because we can't split FOS, Lalor & Smith and need/want all three types - the classy, the powerful & the accumulator. Source: King , first name Wishfullthin (I think it's Welsh)

Last edited:
Word is we're trying to get 2 from North & 3 from WC because we can't split FOS, Lalor & Smith and need/want all three types - the classy, the powerful & the accumulator.
Now that would be a draft haul to fast track our rebuild and one that would make just about everyone on PRE happy.

Word is we're trying to get 2 from North & 3 from WC because we can't split FOS, Lalor & Smith and need/want all three types - the classy, the powerful & the accumulator. Source: King , first name Wishfullthin (I think it's Welsh)
If we get that then Blair needs a statue.

Would have to give up a lot but this is not so silly now that Carlton are playing funny buggers over Houston. We could make this happen for North, not sure it’s worth it. I would rather quantity over quality. Looking back it’s often early picks but not the top 3 that turn out the best.