2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Well, who knows how much to place in it. But I said a few times throughout the year Joking Faces that ignoring injuries blah blah blah ....a number of players needed a solid kick up the arse regardless, that the energy levels were low, and that guys were off doing their own thing a lot of the time. I started to lose count by the end of the year at how many times you'd see our guys remonstrating with one another about what they should be doing, where they should be etc. Stuff you can't see on tv.

As B Gale said, time for Yze to start getting a bit firmer, lifting standards, getting some basic football decisions right, and putting his imprimatur on things.

The Body Language doctor did not like what he saw all year with this group. Confused, disconnected and a little bit angry.

Reactions: 10 users
Fair enough, if they haven't got enough points over the 2 draft years of picks then a serious look needs to be had at their 20 to 23 y.o. Victorian kids to see if anyone's worth bringing home. Still reckon we should just look after our own business end of things re trades n points n just bid on both of their kids. Leave Brisvegas swingin in the breeze, they're already going better than alright. Why help them get even better still?

Robertson is probably the obvious one (he's a WA kid), but had interest from West Coast last year. Though it was said on gettable last week that WC weren't prepared to pay a top 30 pick, and too right for a guy that can't get into the team at all. Last year for sure, he'd have cost them that, reckon costs a pick in the 40's this year, but they don't have one, we have plenty, which is why I think we might roll it into probably the Baker deal.

Maybe something like we give up Pick 9 and 41 along with Bakes, and get back 3 and 23.
West Coast gives up 3 and 23 and gets Baker, Robertson and Pick 9
Brisbane get 41 for Robertson

They'd still need more trades, but that gets them some of the way with Robertson.

In terms of their VIC players:
Harry Sharp - nearly 22 - 16 games - Is he another dud from the covid drafts (2020)?
Darcy Wilmot - 20 - 56 games - I'd 100% give up a late 1st for him - not sure they'd be interested though
Logan Morris - 19 - 19 games - I'd like to trade for him, maybe a 2nd rounder - but again I doubt that peaks their interest especially if the rumours around Daniher retiring are true

Not many other 18-23 year olds from Vic on their list (I've ignored Ashcroft as thats clearly not going to happen - there are a couple that haven't played a game yet too but ignored them too)

Reactions: 1 users
It raised my eyebrows when i first heard Benny Gale's comments on that podcast.

It's very easy to read between the lines and take it as a bit of a public slap in the head. Benny isn't an idiot and would know his words could be taken as a little warning to Yze, so my guess is that the comments were deliberate and calculated. Next season will be interesting. With the talent leaving the club, i don't expect us to get any higher than 16th, if not rock bottom, but at a guess, there's going to have to be signs that Yze knows which way is up, or he mght be straight out the door.

Personally i was miffed before the season started when he made it clear that Balta would be used forward, and that he saw Bolton as potentially the best small forward in the competition. On the Bolton situation, i just culdnt see the luxury of using Bolton as a small forward when he was the only player in our one paced midfield that had enough toe to break lines. As for Balta, this has been tried before and he's always been twice the player as an intercept marking defender, than he is as a forward.

I'd hate to think that Yze's words of wisdon during the interview pricess of the club "living in the past with their success" somehow bluffed us into appointing him. Now that our premirship photos are off the walls, this group has already got their own achievement to hang on the walls in their place. A nice wooden spoon! If we keep going like this, i might start posting them packet cakes.

If he' achieved anything thus far, he's certainly stopped up from basking in our past success.

I know Daniel Rioli's girlfriend works in Qld
Baker - family reasons
Bolton - family reasons.

I'd guess that these temptations to leave are always there with players, but in the past they (and others) have chosen to stay. From the outside lookng in, it seems that things are a bit different now. Whether or not that's because players arent seeing a light at the end of the tunnel with Yze, time will tell i guess.

Reactions: 3 users
allowed too many liberties around their professionalism
Isn't this exactly the point he made during the interview process, about observing from outside the slight % drop off in effort, chasing, standards etc from peak years?

Sounds like a Melbourney trait :-/

Can't judge Yze too harshly in his 1st year IMO.

He is well aware of the lay of the land now so no excuses from here on in terms of expectations & behaviour from coaches and players alike.

Reactions: 5 users
Yze was always going to spend 2024 finding out what he had in this playing group and you cannot do that if regiment everything

2025 and with all the new players will be the time to assess Yze.

2HB Twomey saying the Barrass pick 13 (15) from Hawthorn is what's on offer for Baker. That's slightly unders for me. Something else needs to come with that.

• Haha
Not great reading in regards to Yze and letting players do what they want on and off the field if that article is to be believed.
There was a game from memory it was game against Giants where we were getting smashed in the 1stqtr
The players were not playing to game plan just doing what they liked playing selfish football thinking theyre better than the coach
Yze took control at qtr time huddle told them a few home truths maybe that put a few offside
I will judge Yze coaching ability in season 2025 This season after we were decimated by injuries we worked in maximising our draft hand

I got some mail in the week of Dusty's 300th that I held onto as it didn't match the joy of the occasion.

It came directly from a friend/associate of the great man's. Dusty was reportedly annoyed by how loose the young players had become and the lack of consequences around certain on-field and off-field actions. He said standards had dropped, discipline had fallen away and some players were taking advantage of the more relaxed atmosphere.

The comment that really stuck with me, though, was that he apparently said, 'It wouldn't have been allowed to happen under Dimma'.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I got some mail in the week of Dusty's 300th that I held onto as it didn't match the joy of the occasion.

It came directly from a friend/associate of the great man's. Dusty was reportedly annoyed by how loose the young players had become and the lack of consequences around certain on-field and off-field actions. He said standards had dropped, discipline had fallen away and some players were taking advantage of the more relaxed atmosphere.

The comment that really stuck with me, though, was that he apparently said, 'It wouldn't have been allowed to happen under Dimma'.

interesting.

but perhaps Dusty was being a bit nostalgic and maybe meant

'it wouldn't have happened under Dimma, back when he was authentic and honest with his family'?

• Haha

This doesn't make sense. Didn't we become a relaxed atmosphere from 2017? What's with the off-field actions?

so WC 13 in play for bakes? beauty.

GC 6 min for danny

at worst, 9 and 17 for Shai

I think with Brisbane training at PRO, and needing points, we are a good chance for 14?

realistically, were looking at

1, 6, 9, 13,14,17,20

which is all we need to bring in 7 ripper 18yos.

but we can do better and maybe

and trade a bit and bring in 7 ripper 18yos this year and another 5 next year.

thats a third of a list of first rounders in 2 years.

let the fun begin

Reactions: 4 users
BTW, whoever was into Logan Morris and Kai Lohmann in their day, take a bow :clap2

they look to be the next big things.

although, I was pretty sure Jack Graham was going to win a brownlow or two in October 2017.

Reactions: 2 users
so WC 13 in play for bakes? beauty.

GC 6 min for danny

at worst, 9 and 17 for Shai

I think with Brisbane training at PRO, and needing points, we are a good chance for 14?

realistically, were looking at

1, 6, 9, 13,14,17,20

which is all we need to bring in 7 ripper 18yos.

but we can do better and maybe

and trade a bit and bring in 7 ripper 18yos this year and another 5 next year.

thats a third of a list of first rounders in 2 years.

let the fun begin
It'll be 9 & 10 for Shai.

Brisbane don't have 14, they have 18.

Logan Morris was my boy. @tigersnake preferred that Tasmanian 19-year-old, can't remember his name.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Logan Morris was my boy. @tigersnake preferred that Tasmanian 19-year-old, can't remember his name.

The competition cluster *smile* picks will happen

Harvey langford, JoeBerry, XL, TT, Tom Gross, Jonty Faull, maybe the flying viking kid ive only read about? maybe Bo Allen?

to add to Jagga/Lalor,

with Tom Sims to come at 29.

be good if we could make a deal for pick 11, and just lay 5 kids down like a Royal Flush

:banana

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
BTW, whoever was into Logan Morris and Kai Lohmann in their day, take a bow :clap2

they look to be the next big things.

although, I was pretty sure Jack Graham was going to win a brownlow or two in October 2017.

This dude usually talks rubbish but had this to say on Lohmann last year.

Here's a name: Kai Lohmann

Has attiTUDE
Left/Right doesnt matter
Class above VFL level
Knows where the drop of the ball is
One touch
Loves a goal
We loved him in his draft year
Can't get a senior match in a stacked forward line
Fills a massive need

But defensive game would need re-programming.

A long way to go performance wise but a fair bit of Nathan Brown about this kid style and confidence wise.

Would/Should we offer him a decent contract and give up our second rd pick for him? He was pick 20, 18 months ago. It would get it done.

Could still be boom or bust, but well worth considering ILHO.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Morris was a steal at 30, would loved him at that pick at the time. At the time I thought he was a stretch at top 20, which was very wrong indeed, looks top 10. Has Jack Riewoldt written all over him.

The Tiges were very keen on Lohman and Wilmot allegedly but of course didn't have the picks.