2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I think if his family read that, no matter how desensitised to the 🤮 on the internet,

they'd be very angry and a bit despondent.

he's a kid, ranked about 40 out of 7 billion.

you can get your viewpoint across strongly in a civil way.

something like 'there are 5 or 6 full forwards better than him in my opinion'

please be better
That was the sanitised version.
Seriously if we draft him. Much worse will be said on this site. I am trying to save him the pain.

What Lohmann has over Brown is that he is a natural competitor. That's why he could stand up on grand final day. Hopefully we get back to drafting players who enjoy the contest and can cover the ground.

Reactions: 6 users
I get your point, to a point, but it’s obvious at this point that Lohmann has Brown well and truly covered ability wise. In actual fact, Lohmann looks a genuine star in the making whilst Brown looks only promising.
Not sure that much chasm between them has to do with players around them
I'd only say that Lohmann has played double the games and didn't have the injury concerns of Brown. I still think Brown has great potential but Lohmann does look impressive. It's only the last 6 games though he's started consistently kicking goals. His best haul of course was against the Tigers with 5.

If North decides to keep pick #2 in the face of offers that allow them to get their main target (Trainor or, if the concussion issues scare them off, Armstrong) PLUS another first-rounder, they need to pack up and go home. It would be one of the strangest draft strategy decisions in memory.

They have loaded up on mids—Sheezel, LDU, Powell, McKercher, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Scott, Phillips. The only type of player you could possibly consider at #2 is a mid. For a club in North's position, converting pick #2 into two first rounders in a strong draft is one of the easiest and most obvious decisions ever.

Reactions: 7 users
Brown clearly improving - before everyone was sooking it up that we picked him over an overrated flash in the pan second/third tall forward, now they're sooking it up that we didn't pick him over a premiership star.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Brown will be fine.

Anyway, moving on. Our draft hand will not be truly finalised until draft night. With such broad based interpretations of rankings of players by clubs, there will be a lot of shifting and positioning on the actual night I reckon.

It will be a long couple of nights with late trade offers flying around more than usual.

Reactions: 5 users
If North decides to keep pick #2 in the face of offers that allow them to get their main target (Trainor or, if the concussion issues scare them off, Armstrong) PLUS another first-rounder, they need to pack up and go home. It would be one of the strangest draft strategy decisions in memory.

They have loaded up on mids—Sheezel, LDU, Powell, McKercher, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Scott, Phillips. The only type of player you could possibly consider at #2 is a mid. For a club in North's position, converting pick #2 into two first rounders in a strong draft is one of the easiest and most obvious decisions ever.
What's the incentive though for North to trade with the Tigers over other teams other than we will have a few first rounders? So many trades will happen elsewhere that could completely change who has what in the ND. What if another team trades in another first rounder and decides to use their 2nd pick on a tall? There's no outright guarantee North gets their player by trading down. I think clubs will be very wary of giving us first 3 draft picks. I think in what is touted as a deep draft we're better off just keeping our picks and get the extra player increasing our chances of 1 being successful. Unless it was some ridicously good deal. North are possibly best to keep stock-piling the best available and then target their needs using one or two of their excess requirements as bait in the future. So many variables.

Reactions: 1 users
I like Lohman but I would stick with brown.

And absolutely your rating as player 15o 24 goes up playing in good teams. Not many go onto becoming great players at new clubs

Reactions: 1 user
Not great reading in regards to Yze and letting players do what they want on and off the field if that article is to be believed.
Probably simply a matter of a brand new first time coach doing a bit of bit of tip toeing around a bunch of triple premiership stars. Trying to trust n feel his way around the senior group without stomping on to many feet. Perhaps he expected a bit more n better from some of those senior blokes n they took advantage instead. Wouldn't have helped that our injury run left him with virtually no options when it came to team selection as the year went on.

Reactions: 5 users