2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Firstly, there's not a lot of clubs that have the spare points capacity to do a deal that would help Brisvegas.
Secondly, most clubs want to hang on to their own early draft picks to access what's seemingly a very deep draft.
Thirdly, as DuD Delist mentioned a few posts ago. They've just won the flag, what would they care if they blew out this year and next years draft hands to get this years best kid plus another ranked around top 20??? Still a premium return for pretty much junk picks.
They're probably gunna have to do this anyway to scrounge up enough points value, or trade out one of their current players for the points.
Imagine if we had the same sort of luck as bris or geelong way back in regards to F/s and or Academy during 17-22,Instead of the likes of slim pickings at 18+.
We probably wouldn't have gone after Hopper let alone find ourselves where we are now.

Anyway, heard the most important reason we need to bid on Ashcroft at Pick1. Yesterday made Raynor only the 5th number 1 draft pick to win a premiership. We don't need that *smile*. Lets have Pick 2 please.

Reactions: 1 user
To me it is very simple. Not a simple decision but a simple proposition and that is we do what provides the best outcome for Richmond Football Club.
If that advantages Brisbane as well so be it because it will disadvantage 16 other clubs. RFC and Brisbane would be the only beneficiaries.
IMHO not doing a deal with Brisbane because it helps them is not a good reason to not do it because if that is the best deal for us we are disadvantaging ourselves by not doing it.
If the best deal for us is trading picks with Brisbane so they get Ashcroft cheaper and that is better than using those picks another way then we do it. If trading those picks to other clubs is better than the Brisbane deal then we do that.
To me that has to be the proposition. Brisbane is just one club, we have another 16 that we are also trying to get an advantage over.

Reactions: 6 users
Anyway, heard the most important reason we need to bid on Ashcroft at Pick1. Yesterday made Raynor only the 5th number 1 draft pick to win a premiership. We don't need that *smile*. Lets have Pick 2 please.
Pick 2 has 8
Pick 3 11.
What can West Coast give us for pick 1?

The 2 best players in this year's GF were ball winning mids. Consistent ball winning mids. Short, centre square playing, clearance winning, consistent, ball winning mids.

If only there was an obvious kid that fits that criteria for us to take at pick 1 this year.
So you think we should def bid on Ashcroft as well? :)

Na, just draft the #1 who plays in four flags, captains three of them, and wins two Norms.

• Love
Can 110% guarantee that nobody at the Richmond Football Club is giving a rats arse if a deal with Brisbane benefits us and them. They're at 11.55pm right now and we're at 6am. They are of no consequence to us at all at the moment. And when Levi is 25, we'll hopefully have gone past them as a collective - if we can get it right. Brisbane could be struggling by then. You don't know.

So who cares about Brisbane. Right now it's about Richmond and Richmond only.

101, fundamental, and basic football list strategy. For Richmond. And Richmond only.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
We should have a terrific position come draft night, which may possibly see us acquiring picks 3, 6, 12 and 18, to add to pick 30,- (as well as keeping Shai and hoping for Jagga at 3).

It is also not beyond the realms of possibility that by trading Lynch and Short to Melbourne our position could be even further improved.

If such a position were achieved and with Shai still available to play mid, I wonder if we might offer our first two picks ie 1 and 21 plus? to GWS for Cadman.
I’d expect a polite refusal but it would at least shake the cage and create an expectation that we will come again.

Last edited:
Firstly, there's not a lot of clubs that have the spare points capacity to do a deal that would help Brisvegas.
Secondly, most clubs want to hang on to their own early draft picks to access what's seemingly a very deep draft.
Thirdly, as DuD Delist mentioned a few posts ago. They've just won the flag, what would they care if they blew out this year and next years draft hands to get this years best kid plus another ranked around top 20??? Still a premium return for pretty much junk picks.
They're probably gunna have to do this anyway to scrounge up enough points value, or trade out one of their current players for the points.
On current points standing Brisbane are 1800 points short of being able to draft both Ashcroft and Marshall if we bid on Ashcroft at #1. No club can go into deficit for more than 985 points ie the value of future pick 18. Therefore the Lions need to trade out players or lose Marshall. I’d be happy to bid on him early twenties. Gun footballer. We can bend Brisbane over and get both their pick 18 & F1 for next year. No other club can supply 1800 points except GCS and they’ll need to trade those for futures.
Nail Brisbane.

To me it is very simple. Not a simple decision but a simple proposition and that is we do what provides the best outcome for Richmond Football Club.
If that advantages Brisbane as well so be it because it will disadvantage 16 other clubs. RFC and Brisbane would be the only beneficiaries.
IMHO not doing a deal with Brisbane because it helps them is not a good reason to not do it because if that is the best deal for us we are disadvantaging ourselves by not doing it.
If the best deal for us is trading picks with Brisbane so they get Ashcroft cheaper and that is better than using those picks another way then we do it. If trading those picks to other clubs is better than the Brisbane deal then we do that.
To me that has to be the proposition. Brisbane is just one club, we have another 16 that we are also trying to get an advantage over.

Spot on. It’s not our job to do what’s best for the league, it’s our job to do what’s best for us. Make the deal.

And a ball winning midfielder who runs all days and racked up possessions at Coates Level, starred at the champs just won the medal on the biggest stage of them all. Could easily be a Daicos and there is another one going to be taken at pick one by the mob who won it all and will play next year.

Seems to be a mould, a pipeline of player types that are having an impact right away. Our choice is becoming more obvious.

Last edited:
Yep, but now they've got even less of value to trade with than a few weeks ago. Unless they've got a player to trade with, they'll wipe out both this years and next years entire draft hands trying to scrape up enough points to get Ashcroft and Marshall.

If as some of the meedjia is reporting most clubs want to hang onto their early picks to at least get some talent out of this years draft Brisvegas might struggle big time to get a deal done.
Tigers must bid at pick 1 n make Brisvegas bleed. Happy if we get Ashcroft n then maybe have to sell him to Brisvegas after a few years so he can join his brother.
We dont get Ashcroft. No way it happens.
Brisbane need to gain 250 points which is the equivalent of p50.
They can trade an expendable player or a future 2nd to get the points and then match.

Posting that we can get Ashcroft and Brisbane are gonna cop it is plain daft

Reactions: 2 users
Can 110% guarantee that nobody at the Richmond Football Club is giving a rats arse if a deal with Brisbane benefits us and them. They're at 11.55pm right now and we're at 6am. They are of no consequence to us at all at the moment. And when Levi is 25, we'll hopefully have gone past them as a collective - if we can get it right. Brisbane could be struggling by then. You don't know.

So who cares about Brisbane. Right now it's about Richmond and Richmond only.

101, fundamental, and basic football list strategy. For Richmond. And Richmond only.

So this. Ruthlessly this. Find the 1% advantage in everything. Push rules to the boundaries.

New era of being ruthless.

We still might need to spend a heap of our points to get some of our other trades done for suitable returns.
We might need to keep some of those picks points to be able to fill our draft hand up depending on how deep we dig into our list this year.
We might need to keep some points to trade for future picks from other clubs in the comp.

Lots of different scenarios to unfold yet, locking everything into just Brisvegas is daft.
I'm not locking anything in. Strangely i don't work for the club.... They mustnt have seen my posting.

Its just my conjecture. No doubt thereare multiple provisions as there are multple deals to be negotiated.
I'ma keeping it simple and not worrying about the swapping of late picks that may or may not happen.

Trading for lions first will be a definite target imo

That's all good but my point still stands.

We don’t have to keep picks to filll our list you get more picks at end of draft if you have open list spots
What pick 75 or 80 or 1359. Think I'd rather be looking with picks 29 - 39 - 41 - 47, or perhaps use those picks to improve our trade hand or for future picks.

On current points standing Brisbane are 1800 points short of being able to draft both Ashcroft and Marshall if we bid on Ashcroft at #1. No club can go into deficit for more than 985 points ie the value of future pick 18. Therefore the Lions need to trade out players or lose Marshall. I’d be happy to bid on him early twenties. Gun footballer. We can bend Brisbane over and get both their pick 18 & F1 for next year. No other club can supply 1800 points except GCS and they’ll need to trade those for futures.
Nail Brisbane.
Hmmm. Didn't know that clubs can't trade out or go into deficit for anything more than just a future first rounder if they need to amass points. Don't follow all the AFL rulings on that sort of stuff anywhere near closely enough.
Brisvegas deep in serious arse clench mode if they want both players this year.
We'd be looking at handing over picks 29 - 39 - 41 - 47 to give Brisvegas the necessary 1800 points while pick 18 is a return of 985 points plus whatever their future first would end up being. We'd then need to be hoping that none of these picks would be needed to bolster one of the other trade deals we're trying to do.