2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yeah I don't get the staggering draft picks into subsequent years. It's like having a bucket of KFC and saying I'm gonna save some for later.

I'm saving my KFC for later if I feel bloated and I'm going to enjoy it more later on...

You can't rush a rebuild unfortunately.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm saving my KFC for later if I feel bloated and I'm going to enjoy it more later on...

Just better make sure that Brightside fella isn't hovering around in the background. Ya might open up your bucket when ur in need of a snack n be lucky to find a couple of gristly bones.

Its a judgement call in the end. I'm all for taking a nice haul this year but I did post a while ago that Rodney Eade was warning that you can take too many 18-19 year olds as it can stunt their development because they don't have enough experience around them, not just on field but around the club and at training. He talked about his time at the Suns as an example.

If (as an example) a club offered their FI for an early 2nd rounder in 2024 there is no right answer, only judgement. Not just about the player we might miss out on in 2024 but where that club might end up in 2025. We might end up with pick 10 in 2025 for pick 22 in 2024 if we were lucky, or we might get pick 18 in 2025 if we are unlucky.

Who knows? Personally I reckon something like 7 picks in 2024 is about right and if that means we end up with 3 picks in the first 25 in 2025 I'd be happy with that.

Reactions: 10 users
Its a judgement call in the end. I'm all for taking a nice haul this year but I did post a while ago that Rodney Eade was warning that you can take too many 18-19 year olds as it can stunt their development because they don't have enough experience around them, not just on field but around the club and at training. He talked about his time at the Suns as an example.

If (as an example) a club offered their FI for an early 2nd rounder in 2024 there is no right answer, only judgement. Not just about the player we might miss out on in 2024 but where that club might end up in 2025. We might end up with pick 10 in 2025 for pick 22 in 2024 if we were lucky, or we might get pick 18 in 2025 if we are unlucky.

Who knows? Personally I reckon something like 7 picks in 2024 is about right and if that means we end up with 3 picks in the first 25 in 2025 I'd be happy with that.
I don't think we will end up with a excessive number of 18yos this year. What we will end up with us a large number of 1st rd picks.
Trading out 1st rd'ers this for next year will probably just mean having later picks this year.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think we should trade too many picks into next year. Stephen Wells doesn't ever seem to trade out of drafts for future picks. It's a deep draft. Let's back ourselves in to get it right.

Reactions: 9 users

Problem is...it appears next years draft is much weaker than this, which is exceptionally strong.

If we have late teens or early second rounders in 2025 we will get more Sonsies Clarks and Banks.

This year...there are players likey to go after 30 who are vastly better than those ie. Ough Simms Whitlock M Champion..to name a few.
We will be missing higher quality.

I would only want top dozen or so in 2025 if we are trading out of second round in 2024.

Reactions: 4 users
Problem is...it appears next years draft is much weaker than this, which is exceptionally strong.

If we have late teens or early second rounders in 2025 we will get more Sonsies Clarks and Banks.

This year...there are players likey to go after 30 who are vastly better than those ie. Ough Simms Whitlock M Champion..to name a few.

I would only want top dozen or so in 2025 if we are trading out of second round in 2024.
A year is a long time in the development of a 17yo. There are also no guarantees that this years supposed “super crop” actually ends up meeting expectations.

The ideal strategy is to spread the risk over as many drafts as you can. The trade off is you limit your returns on the good drafts but you also limit your losses on the bad drafts.

If we wait too long to get the kids in they wont have the likes of broad, vlas, lynch, prestia etc to see the standards required and have the teachings from the wise and mature heads. Better to get them into the system as soon as we can, assuming quality picks and worry about 2025 picks later

Reactions: 7 users

Yeah as I said it is a judgement call.

Is pick 22 this year better than pick 14 next year? We may have to make judgements like that? Deciding what 2025 looks like now is not easy either.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah as I said it is a judgement call.

Is pick 22 this year better than pick 14 next year? We may have to make judgements like that? Deciding what 2025 looks like now is not easy either.

Yeah its going to be interesting how we play this and list spots will almost certainly come into our planning too.

We have yet to deslist anyone but ignoring the Cat B rookies, we had 44 on our list (42 allowed) at the end of the year.

4 retirements (Dusty, Grimes, Naismith and Pickett)
4 trade options (Graham, Baker, Bolton and Rioli)

If all those leave takes us down to 36 (6 open spots), with 3 out of contract players, Dow, Coulthard and Cumberland, so we can take a max number of picks across the 4 drafts (National, Rookie, PSSD and MSD) of 9 if all those leave and no-one comes in.

I would think we'd want at least 7 in the National draft, so it might depend on how many picks we have, what we can trade up, as to whether we trade out, either pre-draft, or on draft day. There are going to be so many options available to us, but we should be trading as you say based on quality of player available.

It might also be a good year, where we might like to trade up, to keep 1 or 2 picks in the 30's (or gain them on draft day) to catch some sliders.

Eg. Maybe we have someone who will have a late 1st next year, say Geelong, who really like someone this year, that want our Pick 21, and trade us their F1 and a pick in the 30's (they have 35), its certainly an option if we have already drafted say 5 or 6 in the top 20, which is certainly feasible.

Reactions: 2 users
A recent whisper is that we will only be taking one or two players on night two.

The source said we'd aim to convert any residual picks into 2025.

The plan appears to be stockpile as many high draft picks this year as possible.

I don't sense the approach is about spreading the booty over two years.

More that if we can't find clubs that will allow us to bundle picks to trade up this year, anything left will be sent to 2025 out of necessity.

Reactions: 4 users
Got me a feeling that after all our trades are done, we might not have anywhere near the raft of first round picks that some are speculating. Could be a few clubs happy to hang onto some of their early draft picks instead of just handing them all over to us in trades this year.

Ye
Got me a feeling that after all our trades are done, we might not have anywhere near the raft of first round picks that some are speculating. Could be a few clubs happy to hang onto some of their early draft picks instead of just handing them all over to us in trades this year.
Yeah, I think some are overestimating all these first round picks.