2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It scares me if those with the inside word say we are looking to a) push picks into next year's lesser ranked draft pool and b) only take 8 picks over the two drafts. If either of those two things transpired (unless all 8 picks are first rounders), our footy department has completely lost the plot.
Who are those with the inside word saying those things?

We’re still going to be rubbish next year and that will set us up with another fairly decent draft position. I say we hit it hard while we can. The lack of players in that mid age and experience end of the spectrum will hurt, but that’s going to happen no matter what the strategy. The first one may make it a slightly quicker rebuild, though.

Reactions: 3 users
8 over the 24 / 25 drafts apparently is the target number.
That is a lot of 1st round draft picks.

1, 6, 9,10, 13, 16 & 20 plus 1 first round pick 2025

Thats about right.

7 first round picks or 6 if we trade for pick 3 and possibly 2 second round picks. This year.

Next year we will know how quite a few of the new kids are going and as we have a lot of players coming out of contract in 2025 we will hit the draft hard again next year albeit with later picks than this year.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a lot of 1st round draft picks.

1, 6, 9,10, 13, 16 & 20 plus 1 first round pick 2025

Thats about right.

7 first round picks or 6 if we trade for pick 3 and possibly 2 second round picks. This year.

Next year we will know how quite a few of the new kids are going and as we have a lot of players coming out of contract in 2025 we will hit the draft hard again next year albeit with later picks than this year.
I reckon we will end up with at least 2 x 1st round picks next year (including ours) and maybe even 3 for 2025

Dunno if its been mentioned but Bo Allans premiership WAFL game looks pretty good on paper (didnt see it @tigerman ?)

11 disposals and 6 tackles

Senior State premierships for 18yos is good form
Yes I liked his game eZyT, he's got good pace, tackles for keeps, has a very good work-rate, and is a two way runner.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
"Inside Word" on PRE in a Draft thread is a bit different to a normal inside word. Unless it's followed with a "take it to the bank" of course. That adds gravitas.
You forgot the wink emoji.

That's like a rubber stamp on here.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Some posters in this thread
i dont think anyone has said we will only take 8 selections in the 24/25 drafts. it was 8 1st rd picks across the next 2 drafts.
and some posters are saying we will spread the picks over 2 drafts, some are saying we wont. I wouldnt be too worried about anything at this stage.

I respect your opinion but I don’t see how moving back 1 year in the draft alleviates the issue of having too many kids or impacts our age profile at all.

As you said it’s a judgement call, but I think it’s on where you think you’ll get the best player. Age can’t be a factor when you’re talking about a 12 month differential.
Because 3 kids that are not there in 2025 don't need games and not coming out of contract all at once.

Folks are still spending their cash before it's in the bank.

I don't think we should be getting our hopes up that we're getting 8 first rounders, as we could end up with 2. Lots of disappointment coming if the AFL bend us over (again).

Reactions: 5 users
I respect your opinion but I don’t see how moving back 1 year in the draft alleviates the issue of having too many kids or impacts our age profile at all.

As you said it’s a judgement call, but I think it’s on where you think you’ll get the best player. Age can’t be a factor when you’re talking about a 12 month differential.
We have a lot of average players on our list who are going to be cut in future years. So in my view it makes sense to have some high picks next year, not just to get the best player but the best player for our needs as a result of those that are cut next next year not taking their opportunities.

How many of these players in the 21yo to 26yo range are anywhere near the potential calibre of the top 8 or so we had playing in our premiership years? Who are the Martin's, Cotchin, Reiwoldts, Grimes, Rance etc. Screenshot_2024-09-25-20-00-04-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I would hope it is at least 10 players over two drafts
Yep. Reckon that's absolute minimum n should easily be around the 12 to 16 mark over two years. Massive bunch of retirements n trades going out this year before we even look at fringies. Next year there'll be a few more retirements as well as another couple of fringies.

Folks are still spending their cash before it's in the bank.

I don't think we should be getting our hopes up that we're getting 8 first rounders, as we could end up with 2. Lots of disappointment coming if the AFL bend us over (again).

Well, look forward to seeing Bolton and Daniel Rioli in yellow and black next year

We have a lot of average players on our list who are going to be cut in future years. So in my view it makes sense to have some high picks next year, not just to get the best player but the best player for our needs as a result of those that are cut next next year not taking their opportunities.

How many of these players in the 21yo to 26yo range are anywhere near the potential calibre of the top 8 or so we had playing in our premiership years? Who are the Martin's, Cotchin, Reiwoldts, Grimes, Rance etc. View attachment 24404
Don't reckon $hai should be on this list, but for the rest of them, hmmm. There's a handful of blue collar tradies n another handful of kids that might yet become tradies or a bit better. Not much that makes the eyes water or the ticker crank up though, guess that's what we need to be stocking up on this year.