2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Its a judgement call in the end. I'm all for taking a nice haul this year but I did post a while ago that Rodney Eade was warning that you can take too many 18-19 year olds as it can stunt their development because they don't have enough experience around them, not just on field but around the club and at training. He talked about his time at the Suns as an example.

If (as an example) a club offered their FI for an early 2nd rounder in 2024 there is no right answer, only judgement. Not just about the player we might miss out on in 2024 but where that club might end up in 2025. We might end up with pick 10 in 2025 for pick 22 in 2024 if we were lucky, or we might get pick 18 in 2025 if we are unlucky.

Who knows? Personally I reckon something like 7 picks in 2024 is about right and if that means we end up with 3 picks in the first 25 in 2025 I'd be happy with that.
I respect your opinion but I don’t see how moving back 1 year in the draft alleviates the issue of having too many kids or impacts our age profile at all.

As you said it’s a judgement call, but I think it’s on where you think you’ll get the best player. Age can’t be a factor when you’re talking about a 12 month differential.

Reactions: 2 users
I respect your opinion but I don’t see how moving back 1 year in the draft alleviates the issue of having too many kids or impacts our age profile at all.

As you said it’s a judgement call, but I think it’s on where you think you’ll get the best player. Age can’t be a factor when you’re talking about a 12 month differential.
I'm not offering an opinion on what we should so Cooper, simply saying it is a judgement call. The comment on having too many 1st year players wasn't mine it was Rodney Eade based on his experience as a coach.

He may be right and he may not be, I'm just saying we will have to make a judgement. I think Poshman makes a good point as well, it will also depend on how many list spaces we have.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah its going to be interesting how we play this and list spots will almost certainly come into our planning too.

We have yet to deslist anyone but ignoring the Cat B rookies, we had 44 on our list (42 allowed) at the end of the year.

4 retirements (Dusty, Grimes, Naismith and Pickett)
4 trade options (Graham, Baker, Bolton and Rioli)

If all those leave takes us down to 36 (6 open spots), with 3 out of contract players, Dow, Coulthard and Cumberland, so we can take a max number of picks across the 4 drafts (National, Rookie, PSSD and MSD) of 9 if all those leave and no-one comes in.

I would think we'd want at least 7 in the National draft, so it might depend on how many picks we have, what we can trade up, as to whether we trade out, either pre-draft, or on draft day. There are going to be so many options available to us, but we should be trading as you say based on quality of player available.

It might also be a good year, where we might like to trade up, to keep 1 or 2 picks in the 30's (or gain them on draft day) to catch some sliders.

Eg. Maybe we have someone who will have a late 1st next year, say Geelong, who really like someone this year, that want our Pick 21, and trade us their F1 and a pick in the 30's (they have 35), its certainly an option if we have already drafted say 5 or 6 in the top 20, which is certainly feasible.
I dont believe KMac is signed for next year yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not offering an opinion on what we should so Cooper, simply saying it is a judgement call. The comment on having too many 1st year players wasn't mine it was Rodney Eade based on his experience as a coach.

He may be right and he may not be, I'm just saying we will have to make a judgement. I think Poshman makes a good point as well, it will also depend on how many list spaces we have.
I understand that and I’m not having a go at you. I simply don’t see how moving back one year addresses the issue of having too many kids. We are going to have a young list either way so take the very best kids you can when you can.

We can always bring in some older players via the rookie draft if need be.

I don’t think our problem lies with the kids we are about to bring in, it’s more about the lack of quality 21-25 year olds already on our list.
I understand the pitfalls of having a young list but this is a perfect storm of poor list management (partly due to some hubris on the clubs part) and mass departures both expected and unexpected. The one shining light is that we are in a great position draft wise in a year when the draft is thought to be full of quality kids.

The only reason to trade out of this draft is if you are certain you can pick up a better kid next year. From all reports next years draft is looking thin, so you’d have to trade into an early first round pick.

We can’t afford to let this opportunity slip, particularly with Tassie coming in. I believe it’s time to load up on talented kids, take our medicine for a few years and fast track our development.

Reactions: 7 users
I understand that and I’m not having a go at you. I simply don’t see how moving back one year addresses the issue of having too many kids. We are going to have a young list either way so take the very best kids you can when you can.

We can always bring in some older players via the rookie draft if need be.

I don’t think our problem lies with the kids we are about to bring in, it’s more about the lack of quality 21-25 year olds already on our list.
I understand the pitfalls of having a young list but this is a perfect storm of poor list management (partly due to some hubris on the clubs part) and mass departures both expected and unexpected. The one shining light is that we are in a great position draft wise in a year when the draft is thought to be full of quality kids.

The only reason to trade out of this draft is if you are certain you can pick up a better kid next year. From all reports next years draft is looking thin, so you’d have to trade into an early first round pick.

We can’t afford to let this opportunity slip, particularly with Tassie coming in. I believe it’s time to load up on talented kids, take our medicine for a few years and fast track our development.
There is a post on another thread quoting Cal Twomey and what potential deals are looking like and if they happened it would leave us with Picks 1, 6,9,10,16,20,21,22 in the top 25 but we also have picks 29,39,41, 47, 57 and 72 ( I think).

We can pick 8 new players and still have other picks to get a good hand in 2025. To have 8 picks we would have to have 10 players leave.

There are lots of options to do both I reckon

Reactions: 3 users
A year is a long time in the development of a 17yo. There are also no guarantees that this years supposed “super crop” actually ends up meeting expectations.

The ideal strategy is to spread the risk over as many drafts as you can. The trade off is you limit your returns on the good drafts but you also limit your losses on the bad drafts.
Why is the risk spread?
Still picking 18yos.
Even assuming we trade a current pick for a similarly valued future pick, ie 20 for 20, are we spreading the risk?
Still picking a kid at 20

Why is the risk spread?
Still picking 18yos.
Even assuming we trade a current pick for a similarly valued future pick, ie 20 for 20, are we spreading the risk?
Still picking a kid at 20

Yeah I don't get it either. It doesn't seem like a great risk mitigation strategy to me. Its just saying "but what if this draft is a load of crap", so spread the picks type of risk mitigation.

Rodney Eade may have used it as an excuse why he failed as a coach at GC.

However the GC situation is different to ours.
Lynch Prestia Broad Nank Flossy. Most have 1 season left.
What can they learn while the champs are still there?

Too many kids can cause confusion and drop standards.
Having mentors is crucial.
Dion - plus Taranto and Hopper can make thhs midfield rebuild work

We can drip feed the remidbuild. Get a gun every year.
Combine with a flanker like Browny.

Or go hard this year. Jags, FOS, Allen, Lindsey, Dattoli.
And they spend their careers playing together, in sync and in full cohesion

Dunno if its been mentioned but Bo Allans premiership WAFL game looks pretty good on paper (didnt see it @tigerman ?)

11 disposals and 6 tackles

Senior State premierships for 18yos is good form

• Wow
Went and watched the Colts and League GF's yesterday.

Claremont's Hamish Davis won the medal for BOG in the Colts GF, he was very good in the 2nd half. He and Hugh Boxshall both got a heep of the ball, Boxshall is a very promising talent. Sibosado is a nice mover, FF Ravenhill took some nice marks and kicked 3 goals. Ruckman Riddle moves well and took some good grabs. I like CHB Clancy Dennis too, I've seen him play a few good games now.

Swan Districts Ottis Harvey tagged Davis, he did ok, is a well built kid, busted through a tackle at pace and kicked a very nice goal. Their ruckman Evan Smith started well, but lowered his colours to Riddle. Full forward Colby McDonald took a very good contented mark and converted, he also plays 2nd ruck, is undersized but has a good leap, might make a good backman.
@eZyT

It scares me if those with the inside word say we are looking to a) push picks into next year's lesser ranked draft pool and b) only take 8 picks over the two drafts. If either of those two things transpired (unless all 8 picks are first rounders), our footy department has completely lost the plot.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users