2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

We are going to be lambs to the slaughter in 2025 regardless. The quality is not in the list and that is the area we need to focus on. So yea if we can get 7 or 8 first round picks we take them all. We then have a low win count next year and potentially end up with the #1 pick again. We can move some picks to 2025 however from what I have heard the 2025 is not shaping any where near this one. Therefore the majority of picks need to be taken this year.

There is also Tasmania looming large from 2026 onwards so we need to get the quality (and in numbers) in now
Exactly. Do the best we can especially with development and maintain public image as best we can. Even if jnrs dont work out no need to devalue them in case of future trades with Tasmania.

Exactly. Do the best we can especially with development and maintain public image as best we can. Even if jnrs dont work out no need to devalue them in case of future trades with Tasmania.
Tassie will be looking at Nank, Banks & Campbell at least. They will be putting some decent offers in for these guys. Nank as a leader and Banks and Campbell will be mature ready-to-go players

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I just think bringing in 7-8 kids is too many in one year. we'll be like lambs to the slaughter in 2025. Plus, staggering drafting kids will also help with the age profile of the list. We also need to factor in negotiating contracts. If we draft 7-8 players, we hope they'll all be good enough to get a new contract in 2 years. It just feels like some of them should be staggered due to practicality.
Next years draft apprantly isn't as deep.
We should attack now.
If the kids are from Victoria they won't leave Richmond.
MCG. History. Large supporter base.

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of players are going to miss being drafted this year who will play State level footy next year and we can pick the best of those in the draft next year with late picks or Rookie draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Tassie will be looking at Nank, Banks & Campbell at least. They will be putting some decent offers in for these guys. Nank as a leader and Banks and Campbell will be mature ready-to-go players

Nank is already 30, will start the 2028 season as a 33 year old. No way they trade for Nank. Not even sure he'll be playing in 2028, let alone someone trading for him.
Campbell and Banks certainly possibles. Reckon Mansell is another possible too.

Reactions: 8 users
Any future Brownlow medalists in this thread? I'd be happy if we picked a few who just got votes.

I think the larke medallists and AA's, as well as being good players,

are going to be the kids that hang back and shake coaches and selectors and umpires hands and talk to their wives and kids.

and they'll be the Brownlow types.

Other than Dusty, its the good mids who engage, smile and wave who win em

a scroll though clubs leading vote getters, and they're all the-boy-next-door.

umps are pretty unsophisticated people

its got me *smile* how Bont doesn't have three brownlows

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely don't want Harley Reid,would cost too much.
Pick 1 fos
Pick 6 Lalor
Pick 12 Berry/Shanahan/Reid.

It is a way to delay our rebuild.

Reactions: 1 user
Nank is already 30, will start the 2028 season as a 33 year old. No way they trade for Nank. Not even sure he'll be playing in 2028, let alone someone trading for him.
Campbell and Banks certainly possibles. Reckon Mansell is another possible too.
Was thinking that about Nank myself... regardless of age, I remain dubious about his leadership. Good bloke and all that stuff.
May be great off field, but geezus, he's been less than inspirational during games since he became captain.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I don't get the staggering draft picks into subsequent years. It's like having a bucket of KFC and saying I'm gonna save some for later.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
We should have the No. 1 pick next year too. Would have a great idea of who that might be - a mid - inside / outside or gun forward. Does that have a bearing on our choices this year?
PS - who are the likely choices - anyone know?

Reactions: 1 user
I just think bringing in 7-8 kids is too many in one year. we'll be like lambs to the slaughter in 2025. Plus, staggering drafting kids will also help with the age profile of the list. We also need to factor in negotiating contracts. If we draft 7-8 players, we hope they'll all be good enough to get a new contract in 2 years. It just feels like some of them should be staggered due to practicality.
Managing contracts is easy. We usually have over half the list coming out of contract every couple of years. And with the kids in the top 20 it's 3 year contracts now I believe? Two years for the rest. And no reason we cant extent those contracts at any time if the kids are performing.

We should have the No. 1 pick next year too. Would have a great idea of who that might be - a mid - inside / outside or gun forward. Does that have a bearing on our choices this year?
PS - who are the likely choices - anyone know?
Dyson Sharp from Central Districts will be right up there.😉

Reactions: 3 users
I'm all for as many quality picks as possible this year, but securing one extra first rounder next year would be ideal, to ensure we get 3 good kids next year too.

Rioli and pay some of his salary, for GC's 1st this year and 1st next year. Would expect it to be around pick 10-12 at worst next year.

• Wow
Last night's was an omen.
Someone telling us, Don't get carried away with your bucket load of picks we have
Don't trade them out,
Don't reduce them
Don't swap
Etc
Because of this View attachment 24389
Please Blair and Co keep every pick
Aint a matter of how many picks ya have, it's what the *smile* you do with ya picks. We've managed more than our fair share of horror show, major pick *smile* ups over the years. Hoping like hell we know exactly what we're doing this time around.

Agree, and first rounders are 3 year contracts. Some are not going to work out guaranteed., never do. 3 x 1st rounders next year would be perfect if we can work it.