2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I think everyone would agree we need quality midfielders. As far as I can tell the most "sure thing" mids available are Smith and Draper.
Guys like FOS, Lalor, Lindsay appear to be potential mids, but may also up as wings/flankers/part-time mids.
Who are the next tier of pure mids?

Reactions: 1 user
Went and watched the Colts and League GF's yesterday.

Claremont's Hamish Davis won the medal for BOG in the Colts GF, he was very good in the 2nd half. He and Hugh Boxshall both got a heep of the ball, Boxshall is a very promising talent. Sibosado is a nice mover, FF Ravenhill took some nice marks and kicked 3 goals. Ruckman Riddle moves well and took some good grabs. I like CHB Clancy Dennis too, I've seen him play a few good games now.

Swan Districts Ottis Harvey tagged Davis, he did ok, is a well built kid, busted through a tackle at pace and kicked a very nice goal. Their ruckman Evan Smith started well, but lowered his colours to Riddle. Full forward Colby McDonald took a very good contented mark and converted, he also plays 2nd ruck, is undersized but has a good leap, might make a good backman.

Reactions: 8 users
I think everyone would agree we need quality midfielders. As far as I can tell the most "sure thing" mids available are Smith and Draper.
Guys like FOS, Lalor, Lindsay appear to be potential mids, but may also up as wings/flankers/part-time mids.
There are heaps....Lalor is a mid in the Dusty mould.
Allen Urquart WA.
Algar Dattoli Anderson Gross Ough Smillie
Langford Ivasic Hotten Reid...and more.

Ain't me that's speculating on Brisvegas needing to do it in one deal Poshy. Other posters regularly banging on about us dumping four crap picks for Brisvegas's first as if that somehow instantly just solves Brisvegas's needs to get Ashcroft, coz it's all about good for us. I'm simply stating over and over again that there needs to be a hell of a lot more than that done, because it won't be anywhere near what Brisvegas needs.
They are not going to get more than what we offer,especially this year,they can trade our late 30s pick,plus early 40s for 4 picks in late to mid 40s.

Been watching FOS highlights and I don't get how people see Heeney/Cotchin.

He is a receiver, knows how to find space. His highlights are like 90% outside cause that's where his strengths are. He plays an inside mid role but he doesn't actually do that much work inside.

Not saying that as a knock cause I think this is the type of player we need the most. But I would say he's more Whitfield/Gulden type than those big inside bulls like Cotchin etc. I reckon he could be more of a flanker in his first few years.
Remember they also have Gross,jagga,he's the outside mid by nesscessity.

There is no chance what's so ever that a player with huge endurance and several other afl qualities won't become a high quality mid at a minimum.
I witnessed how passionately a veteran geelong recruiter stated, fos will.be a absolute star.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you answered the question above. Before the weekend it was looking like Marshall might not attract a bid in the top-25.
He's tied to Brisbane isn't he? Now 2 Ashcrofts F/S and a Marshall Academy for their midfield long-term.

Claremont's Hamish Davis won the medal for BOG in the Colts GF, he was very good in the 2nd half. He and Hugh Boxshall both got a heep of the ball, Boxshall is a very promising talent. Sibosado is a nice mover, FF Ravenhill took some nice marks and kicked 3 goals. Ruckman Riddle moves well and took some good grabs. I like CHB Clancy Dennis too, I've seen him play a few good games now.
I would take Davis late or as a rookie. Runs all day and knows how to kick a goal. Rough around the edges but I think he can absolutely become a footballer.

Reactions: 2 users
How many sleeps to before our questions are answered?

Free agency runs from Friday 4th October until the following Friday 11th
Trade period opens on Monday 7th October and runs until Wednesday the 16th October

So up to 24 sleeps before we know our drafting position. However I thought the clubs can continue to trade picks up to the end of the 2024 Draft in November, but that needs to be confirmed by more knowledgeable people

Reactions: 1 users
Who are we taking.
Bored GIF

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
So up to 24 sleeps before we know our drafting position. However I thought the clubs can continue to trade picks up to the end of the 2024 Draft in November, but that needs to be confirmed by more knowledgeable people

if we end up getting something ridiculous such as 6-7 picks inside the top 25-30, then we should be looking to trade a couple of those for 2025 draft picks. We can't use our whole draft haul in 1 year.

Ashcroft 1
FOS 2. ..before Nth take him.
Armstrong.3..Nth..or alternate KF
Lalor 4...WCE pick 3..trusting Nth are put off by his hammy.
Draper 5 Crows
Lindsay 6. Saints < they love outside distributers...so will leave us Smith>
Smith 7....us!.....all. 3 of our wishes satisfied

This is not an alternate draft value by me...it is a selection order in an attempt to get all 3 mids we desperately need.

I initially ommited Ashcroft...too lazy to include those not available to us!

Would never miss Smith Ezy...I know your tentacles reach far and wide ...I'd have nowhere to hide.

keep up the good work

and yes, to paraphrase both you and Jack Dyer,

my testicles do have some reach

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Heard Sam Lalor talk on Gettable, very impressive chap. Won't participate at the combine and can only do rehab that is off legs for the short term.

He lists power and strength as his best attributes. Does that translate to the next level? Can we he cover the ground? Does see himself as a midfielder who can rest forward not the other way around and that's what clubs told him. Has been more focused on cricket till the middle of last year, that is news to me.
Only had one preseason at the top level. That tells me there is a huge scope for improvement. Caleb Serong's pathway was similar without the injuries.

I'm now wanting Jagga at 1 and Lalor at 6. You can't take FOS and Lalor, too big an injury risk and neither at this stage a pure mid.

Reactions: 6 users
Heard Sam Lalor talk on Gettable, very impressive chap. Won't participate at the combine and can only do rehab that is off legs for the short term.
Agree. Smart kid and speaks like a 100 gamer. I hope we get him as we need to build another Duz.

Reactions: 4 users