2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

If this is the truth from Ed Pascoe..we get

FOS
Lalor
Smith/Allen/Lindsay
Berry
Dattoli
Hannaford/Algar
Faull
Shanahan

Love it..what a haul.

4 mids...2 small forwards/mids..2 key forwards

A dream draft.
I would take that in an instant.

Probably too good to be true.
I'm sure all our competitor teams will oblige.

We all know that Pick 12 as a pick doesn't mean anything to the Suns as they will be trading it, so its about how they can make it work.

I could see Pick 12 used to get Noble (they need to trade it anyway), if they got back a F2 and Pick 48 it would be worth it I reckon. Values Noble at about Pick 41 on the points scale, Pies fans will think thats a bit unders, but they get Pick 12.

If they then want to go Houston, they probably would try this (not sure I would if I were them with where they finished this year), but Pick 12 and F1 for Houston and Ports F2. They can do this (even after trading their own F2, as they are bringing in another, hence they can then trade their F1 for Houston.

It would be Collingwood going all in, and them thinking that they would have made finals this year had they not had so many injuries.
I’d think their first priority will be Rioli and that trade if it is to happen, will happen early. It will involve their 2 first rounders and a fair slice of his salary going back.
I could see pick 12 going on Noble but only if they missed out on Rioli.

Last edited:
If this is the truth from Ed Pascoe..we get

FOS
Lalor
Smith/Allen/Lindsay
Berry
Dattoli
Hannaford/Algar
Faull
Shanahan

Love it..what a haul.

4 mids...2 small forwards/mids..2 key forwards

A dream draft.
I would take that in an instant.

Probably too good to be true.
I don't think we will draft more than 5 players IMO...in the ND anyways

Agree and I think they will struggle to trade their F1 for many teams current years 1sts, so would need to trade it for a bunch of later picks which again not many teams will have.

Maybe we give 29, 39, 41, 47,57 and our F3rd (thats 2,009 points in this years draft) - along with a guarantee not to bid on Ashcroft with Pick 1, for Pick 17/18, and their F1. Brisbane then have that 2,009 plus around about 250 other points from their other 2 picks, and whatever they get for Robertson (around 400), so around 2650 points to bid on both of their boys. Should pretty much fix their points imbalance right there.

Leaves us before trades for Bakes, Bolton, Graham and Rioli, with 1, 17/18 and 21 and an extra F1 already.

So add 9/10 for Bolton, 6 and 26 for Rioli, 22 for Graham and a couple of pick upgrades for Bakes (including to Pick 3) and we are cooking on gas.
Do we really want their F1 ? which will most likely be 16+ anyway
These extra picks would be needed to upgrade this years picks with other trades we have

Yep. So Brisvegas need to do the work to match the bid, otherwise the kid goes to the drafting club n can be traded a few years later.
Brisbane will match the bid with their first pick.
If its pick 17 or 18.
Any points deficit causes their future first to slide.
Zero chance Ashcroft is anywhere but Brisbane

Reactions: 3 users
Why is that ? I was thinking a minimum of six players drafted in November
Given the number of players mentioned in trade discussions plus the retirements we are already aware of and the trade picks likely to be available believe more than six coming in, more probably eight to nine is likely.

Baker, Bolton, Coulthard, Graham, Grimes, Lynch, Naismith, Rioli and Pickett plus Cumberland and McIntosh.. all could be gone. So far only Blight and Gray coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Bloody deep draft of Ough & Sims cant get into the top 30

We need to take 7 picks in this draft

Delist : Dow McIntosh Cumberland Coulthard
Trade : Bolton , Graham , Rioli , Baker
retire: Dusty , Naismith , Grimes , Pickett
What would be the thoughts on filling the other 3 list spots???? Rookie, PSD or a couple of delisted free agents?

Brisbane will match the bid with their first pick.
If its pick 17 or 18.
Any points deficit causes their future first to slide.
Zero chance Ashcroft is anywhere but Brisbane
That's fine. If they've got to wipe out the value of their first pick next year as well, then they might also virtually wipe out the rest of their draft next year getting that academy kid Marshal on the books as well.
Just in case no-one has noticed Brisvegas has been playing finals for a few years now, which now includes back to back grannies while we're the ones with our arses dragging in the dirt.
All this talk of trading them a heap of points value on the cheap ( which will seriously restrict our trading capability ) plus then not bidding on the best kid in the draft just for pick 17 or 18 is bloody madness. They want Ashcroft, then make them bleed for the privilege.

That's fine. If they've got to wipe out the value of their first pick next year as well, then they might also virtually wipe out the rest of their draft next year getting that academy kid Marshal on the books as well.
Just in case no-one has noticed Brisvegas has been playing finals for a few years now, which now includes back to back grannies while we're the ones with our arses dragging in the dirt.
All this talk of trading them a heap of points value on the cheap ( which will seriously restrict our trading capability ) plus then not bidding on the best kid in the draft just for pick 17 or 18 is bloody madness. They want Ashcroft, then make them bleed for the privilege.
Or
We do something where we gain.
Swap late picks for 17/18.
It will virtually cost us nothing to gain an extra pick

If we only did this - it would be one the biggest missed opportunities in the clubs history. This draft is 30-40 quality players deep. We have the potential to get 8+ top 40 picks.

Reactions: 12 users
If we only did this - it would be one the biggest missed opportunities in the clubs history. This draft is 30-40 quality players deep. We have the potential to get 8+ top 40 picks.
But is it quality or just there aren't standouts this year? Seems very even with alot of conjecture over who are the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Given the number of players mentioned in trade discussions plus the retirements we are already aware of and the trade picks likely to be available believe more than six coming in, more probably eight to nine is likely.

Baker, Bolton, Coulthard, Graham, Grimes, Lynch, Naismith, Rioli and Pickett plus Cumberland and McIntosh.. all could be gone. So far only Blight and Gray coming in.
you forgot Dusty !!! :)

I suspect Lynch and McIntosh will be on the list in 2025. I'm expecting about 7-8 picks.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
That would be very disappointing.
We will never get this chance again...to get 8 top quality players of 10 year value for next to nothing cost in dollars.
Personaly I would take another ie Ough ...a genuine footballler,tall mid,skilled,unhurried...like J Steele of Saints.
Geez...this is our once in a generation opportunity.
8 or 9 quality youth plus 4 more over next 2 years..massive rapid rebuild.
Nothing to lose...or....do little and get little.

Last edited: