2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

On Twomey's most recent phantom draft the Bears need approx 3040 points to take Ashcroft and Marshall. After the slides they will have under 1000 points this year. That's a big deficit.

And the AFL's rejig of draft points from next year on played right into our hands.

Our weakness in all this is that we have invested heavily in draft points this year and if we don't shop them to the Bears the market might be flooded. BTW we may already have a heads of agreement in place. That would be sensible. But pick #17-18 is not pretty.

What if we do business with GC for their junk picks, burn Brisbane and bid on Ashcroft? To keep him. Brisbane might trade out a player to get the currency for Ashcroft. They point blank couldn't get Marshall otherwise. Because after their pick #17 slips to #21 they'd need to find 1600+ points to match just Ashcroft. That's 2025-6 first rounders.

If they can't Ashcroft him this year they will probably never have the draft currency to get him in his prime.

We can do business with Brisbane. We'll certainly get their first this and next year. You'd reckon we'd get their #28 this year in points business. We are very strong here. Picks say #28 and 29 in this draft are hot picks. 28 and 29 might get you #16.

Can we get their 2026 first? It costs a lot for a GF club to get pick #1 in a National Draft. Better to get their 2026 first than 28 this year. 28 is just a points thing.

We want their three first rounders and probably 28 this year. To not bid. And for them to cop our chump change.

They can still do enough business to get Ashcroft otherwise we should just take him. The landscape changes with each Brisbane win.

Reactions: 9 users
Bloody deep draft of Ough & Sims cant get into the top 30

We need to take 7 picks in this draft

Delist : Dow McIntosh Cumberland Coulthard
Trade : Bolton , Graham , Rioli , Baker
retire: Dusty , Naismith , Grimes , Pickett
So this, it's the time to go for it.

Don't keep any one who we know has peaked or isn't good enough.

Those delistings are easy and should happen.

Reactions: 6 users
On Twomey's most recent phantom draft the Bears need approx 3040 points to take Ashcroft and Marshall. After the slides they will have under 1000 points this year. That's a big deficit.

And the AFL's rejig of draft points from next year on played right into our hands.

Our weakness in all this is that we have invested heavily in draft points this year and if we don't shop them to the Bears the market might be flooded. BTW we may already have a heads of agreement in place. That would be sensible. But pick #17-18 is not pretty.

What if we do business with GC for their junk picks, burn Brisbane and bid on Ashcroft? To keep him. Brisbane might trade out a player to get the currency for Ashcroft. They point blank couldn't get Marshall otherwise. Because after their pick #17 slips to #21 they'd need to find 1600+ points to match just Ashcroft. That's 2025-6 first rounders.

If they can't Ashcroft him this year they will probably never have the draft currency to get him in his prime.

We can do business with Brisbane. We'll certainly get their first this and next year. You'd reckon we'd get their #28 this year in points business. We are very strong here. Picks say #28 and 29 in this draft are hot picks. 28 and 29 might get you #16.

Can we get their 2026 first? It costs a lot for a GF club to get pick #1 in a National Draft. Better to get their 2026 first than 28 this year. 28 is just a points thing.

We want their three first rounders and probably 28 this year. To not bid. And for them to cop our chump change.

They can still do enough business to get Ashcroft otherwise we should just take him. The landscape changes with each Brisbane win.
How does Brisbanes 17 slide to 21?

Reactions: 1 user
Do we really want their F1 ? which will most likely be 16+ anyway
These extra picks would be needed to upgrade this years picks with other trades we have

If we need them for the other deals to get the higher 1st rounders, then it makes sense to use them there. I was merely showing that we could add 2 1sts over the next 2 years, only giving up relatively late picks, that we wouldn't be taking to the draft anyway. It probably won't work out like that, all depends on what we get / have to give back in the other deals.

That would be very disappointing.
We will never get this chance again...to get 8 top quality players of 10 year value for next to nothing cost in dollars.
Personaly I would take another ie Ough ...a genuine footballler,tall mid,skilled,unhurried...like J Steele of Saints.
Geez...this is our once in a generation oppurtunity.
8 or 9 quality youth plus 4 more over next 2 years..massive rapid rebuild.
Nothing to lose...or....do little and get little.
Ough and Hannaford plz,

Reactions: 2 users
So this, it's the time to go for it.

Don't keep any one who we know has peaked or isn't good enough.

Those delistings are easy and should happen.
We have so many holes in our list, this is the draft to do it. 3-4 gun mids a couple running flankers and at least 1-2 talls.
Next year is supposed to be shallow.

How does Brisbanes 17 slide to 21?
Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, and Battle. Not to say Marshall isn't winning recruiters atm, mrp. Could it get to #22? What if it starts at #18? Could it get to #23? It aint pretty for us.

How good was Sam Marshall in the grand final? Disposals were sublime, barely missed a target.
But is it quality or just there aren't standouts this year? Seems very even with alot of conjecture over who are the best.
I think you answered the question above. Before the weekend it was looking like Marshall might not attract a bid in the top-25.

If this is the truth from Ed Pascoe..we get

FOS
Lalor
Smith/Allen/Lindsay
Berry
Dattoli
Hannaford/Algar
Faull
Shanahan

Love it..what a haul.

4 mids...2 small forwards/mids..2 key forwards

A dream draft.
I would take that in an instant.

Probably too good to be true.

Far be it for me to pour cold water over a draft wet dream,

But how do you extrapolate

'pascoe has Jagga at 1, so we'll scratch our chin and maybe take him at 6'

Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako, and Battle. Not to say Marshall isn't winning recruiters atm, mrp. Could it get to #22? What if it starts at #18? Could it get to #23? It aint pretty for us.

Oh ok, so you are meaning where it slips to from us, makes sense. I read it that if Brisbanes pick slides then they need more points to match, but their 1st won't slide "for them" as they will be the 1st reason that it slides, unless Battle gets Round 1 compo

We can't get their 2026 first because trading picks two years in advance hasn't come in yet, Jack. Probably next year.

I don't think we're getting their 2025 first either.

Even if their first this year slides to 23, junk picks we need to get rid of for pick 23 is a decent result for us.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Far be it for me to pour cold water over a draft wet dream,

But how do you extrapolate

'pascoe has Jagga at 1, so we'll scratch our chin and maybe take him at 6'
Ashcroft 1
FOS 2. ..before Nth take him.
Armstrong.3..Nth..or alternate KF
Lalor 4...WCE pick 3..trusting Nth are put off by his hammy.
Draper 5 Crows
Lindsay 6. Saints < they love outside distributers...so will leave us Smith>
Smith 7....us!.....all. 3 of our wishes satisfied

This is not an alternate draft value by me...it is a selection order in an attempt to get all 3 mids we desperately need.

I initially ommited Ashcroft...too lazy to include those not available to us!

Would never miss Smith Ezy...I know your tentacles reach far and wide ...I'd have nowhere to hide.

Last edited:
  • Haha
We can't get their 2026 first because trading picks two years in advance hasn't come in yet, Jack. Probably next year.

I don't think we're getting their 2025 first either.

Even if their first this year slides to 23, junk picks we need to get rid of for pick 23 is a decent result for us.
I was worried abut that two year rule. Dayemm.

Ok. Then they haven't got the currency, scoop. No deal. Let em go to work. We don't need pick #23. Let em use it. It'll cost em Marshall and maybe a player.

• Haha
I was really impressed with the game from Hannaford in the Grand Final. He did absolutely everything, surely he is pushing up towards a top 15 draft position, looks like a great prospect. Noober has created a video of his game, worth a look if you didn’t see it.