2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

That would make for 2.5 of our first 4 picks having injury questions hovering over them.

Lalor and Trainor/Hotton and then 0.5 on FOS as well.
Yep, I’m not even sure I’d go FOS and Lalor because of that. Trainor, concussions and positional depth equals pass.

Reactions: 1 user
Been watching highlights and I reckon FOS looks more like a taller Gulden type than a Cotchin.

Yep, I’m not even sure I’d go FOS and Lalor because of that. Trainor, concussions and positional depth equals pass.

I've harped on about this before but my thinking is that the club has to give stronger consideration than normal to the health of recruits this year given the extremely unhealthy history of our list currently. FOS I can handle (even if he does invite injury a bit with his style) because he's just received knocks on his hands and a bad corkie. But I'm highly wary of Lalor, Hotton, Trainor, Smillie and one or two others.

I really like Lalor as a player but he just screams a Fridge-Stuart Dew, constant soft tissue injury type to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've said this same thing myself, however there becomes a balance.

If GC refuse to deal with Pick 6, then Rioli doesn't leave and comes back and puts in 100%. He's genuinely not 1 to act out of spite IMO, and will put in 100% for him.
However, he has asked to leave and if a strong offer is put forward for him, then I expect he expects to leave. Whilst we may posture that 6 and 12 is getting them to overpay (and there are reasons why we want that to happen), would you if you were in Dan's position?

A happy medium will occur. the Suns will pay up, but it seems that many here think we will hold them by the balls and squeeze squeeze squeeze, but I don't think we'll do it that hard. Afterall, "winning" the trade period gets you nowhere, Essendon is a great example, having good relationships with other clubs for future trades is also something that should be considered in any dealings.

I do think a lot of non Tiger fans under rate Dan, its clear to see on BF where people are saying he's not worth Pick 6. He absolutely is, but is he worth a lot more than that at 27? I'm not sure. I would think if we want Pick 12, we would need to be giving back a future 2nd.
Poshie. We are not Essington. We have a long-established and well-earned rep as fair and equitable traders.

I would suggest the responsibility to maintain good relations between RFC and the Black Hole Suns lies not with us but with the upstart interloper who stole our coach, poached our staff and is now coming for our long-term contracted champion, who also happens to be Richmond royalty.

We are a classy club, so we will greet them at the door with a fresh pot of tea, a plate of Iced VoVos, and an Ecky Thump in the back sky rocket.

• Haha
Good question. A few I don't care for much eg Shanahan and others might take a long time to reach their potential which in itself is a bit questionable with some I reckon.

If Tauru wasn't climbing so much right now (as it seems) I would have said he's the best ROI key forward. I think there's still good value in Nicholls from SA. I think O'Farrell could also. Of the short priced favourites, probably Armstrong.

But to answer your question, I like Tauru. He competes real hard. Crashes packs. Prepared to stand under the ball and take a hit when it's not lace out. Jumps. Bit of J Riewoldt and N Caddy about him.
No love for Faull?

I've harped on about this before but my thinking is that the club has to give stronger consideration than normal to the health of recruits this year given the extremely unhealthy history of our list currently. FOS I can handle (even if he does invite injury a bit with his style) because he's just received knocks on his hands and a bad corkie. But I'm highly wary of Lalor, Hotton, Trainor, Smillie and one or two others.

I really like Lalor as a player but he just screams a Fridge-Stuart Dew, constant soft tissue injury type to me.
Cotch had injuries. Judd had injuries - both great long careers.

Dew won 2 flags. The 3rd quarter in the Hawks flag in 2008 he totally owned it.

Cotch had injuries. Judd had injuries - both great long careers.

Dew won 2 flags. The 3rd quarter in the Hawks flag in 2008 he totally owned it.

I would prefer to avoid the risk if a player of equal standing is there. One I can take, not any more than that. We've just got way too many players already with repeat injuries.

It's been utterly killing us the last few years. We need to break this cycle.

Last edited:
Amazing how players dart in and out of public favour.
Simms has dropped out of view and Jack Whitlock nowhere to be seen. He’s still my pick based on athletic profile.
Faull is your get our jail up the line forward. Stands under packs. But has some toe. Gets up and back.