2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I know @tigerdell say's we won't bid on Ashcroft or threaten Brisbane in trade negotiations but make no mistake there will be a silent understanding what will happen if they don't deal with us, (which is why Dell is saying Brisbane will come to the table amicably :cool: ). Ashcroft's season has only got better and so far is the player of the finals series so would be ranked #1 on many boards you would think.

One of the youngest players in this year’s draft pool, Ashcroft does not celebrate his 18th birthday until December 18.

However, he has proven a dominant force in underage football this season and racked up 33 disposals and two goals to help the Dragons to a 51-point win over the Stingrays in last week’s preliminary final.

As it currently stands there are not many other teams capable of providing the 2024 picks for points to Brisbane outside of Richmond. You would think it would be a reasonably generous deal to Richmond. Could see Brisbane future picks being involved too.

But if you at the situation that Richmond could possibly deal into another top 3 pick during trade time then there is the potential without Richmond bidding on Ashcroft that he could fall to as low as a bid at say pick 4. This is of huge benefit to Brisbane as the difference between a bid at 1 and 4 is nearly 800 points. Would be very surprising if they didn't negotiate with Richmond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interestingly Morrish Medal is not a great guide to translation to elite AFL player.

Looking at historic winners, fewer make it as top AFL players than those that don't for some reason.
In the TAC/coates era only 17 of the 37 kids who have won it have gone on to play AFL.

I had it explained once it’s because a lot of the kids miss Coates games for APS & representative footy and so it’s often kids who aren’t APS or playing VIC metro/country who end up playing more Coates games. So its not always so much the best player who wins it but a solid player who got to play in more games and earned more votes.

Not sure if that’s the true reason or not.

Reactions: 5 users
I know @tigerdell say's we won't bid on Ashcroft or threaten Brisbane in trade negotiations but make no mistake there will be a silent understanding what will happen if they don't deal with us, (which is why Dell is saying Brisbane will come to the table amicably :cool: ). Ashcroft's season has only got better and so far is the player of the finals series so would be ranked #1 on many boards you would think.

One of the youngest players in this year’s draft pool, Ashcroft does not celebrate his 18th birthday until December 18.

However, he has proven a dominant force in underage football this season and racked up 33 disposals and two goals to help the Dragons to a 51-point win over the Stingrays in last week’s preliminary final.
It’s a nice little ace up the sleeve mate , they try an screw us we’ll go whack “ pay up Brissy”

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Saw Cody Anderson recently at the gym and today running the streets.
He is a solid unit..would have to be over 80 kg of muscle.
Polled well in Morrish medal despite a syndesmosis late in the season.
Hawks are keen and I believe is NGA.
He is skilled and very hard at it.
Would be ready to go next year.
Likely to be a bargain around pick 30 and is the sort that I think could surprise at AFL.
Would like us to get him if available after 30.

called Cooper Hynes name awhile back and he placed 2nd in the Morrish.

surprisingly not many on here have mentioned him?

Reactions: 3 users
Cal Twomey on SEN this morning got asked who we take with pick 1 and he mentioned FOS, Lalor and Jagga but said very hard to call at this stage
He also said that trading will be more difficult this year because clubs don’t want picks in next year’s draft they want them this season. I’m not sure if that helps or hinders us.

Reactions: 1 user
Most pundits I have heard have watered that down saying pick 12 could be involved and that it would be a swap of picks. That’s possible I guess.

Even if pick 12 for Noble did happen they aren’t getting a high quality contracted player like Houston for pick 12

We all know that Pick 12 as a pick doesn't mean anything to the Suns as they will be trading it, so its about how they can make it work.

I could see Pick 12 used to get Noble (they need to trade it anyway), if they got back a F2 and Pick 48 it would be worth it I reckon. Values Noble at about Pick 41 on the points scale, Pies fans will think thats a bit unders, but they get Pick 12.

If they then want to go Houston, they probably would try this (not sure I would if I were them with where they finished this year), but Pick 12 and F1 for Houston and Ports F2. They can do this (even after trading their own F2, as they are bringing in another, hence they can then trade their F1 for Houston.

It would be Collingwood going all in, and them thinking that they would have made finals this year had they not had so many injuries.

He also said that trading will be more difficult this year because clubs don’t want picks in next year’s draft they want them this season. I’m not sure if that helps or hinders us.

I suppose it depends how many picks we have, and how many list spots we have. It might work well, if we have too many high end picks, we might get overs into next years draft for them.

The other thing we might get at the start of the 2nd round in particular, is bids to move up a spot or 2. Teams might throw a F3 at us to mopve up a spot or 2 on the draft list as a player they like has slid down the order. Similar to what we got with the McAuliffe deals last year and it also happened a few years ago at the draft in the 2nd round where teams were throwing a pick in, just to move 1 spot up the draft order.

I reckon getting 2 or 3 of those early 2nd round picks will be golddust at the start of night 2. We already have 21, hopefully 22 with Graham compo, and possibly could get 23 as part of a Baker trade.

Reactions: 2 users
FOS is Cotch mk11

If Jagga hit a pack like Cotch you would have to send a search party out to find his remains!!
Why hit a pack? when you can weave and dodge with ease. Jagga has moves like Jagga he doesn't need to hit the pack like cotch. He manoeuvres his way through like Shane Edwards

In the TAC/coates era only 17 of the 37 kids who have won it have gone on to play AFL.

I had it explained once it’s because a lot of the kids miss Coates games for APS & representative footy and so it’s often kids who aren’t APS or playing VIC metro/country who end up playing more Coates games. So its not always so much the best player who wins it but a solid player who got to play in more games and earned more votes.

Not sure if that’s the true reason or not.
Spot on see 2007 kreuzer wins medal
Cotch played a lot of games for.pegs
And doesn't place

We all know that Pick 12 as a pick doesn't mean anything to the Suns as they will be trading it, so its about how they can make it work.

I could see Pick 12 used to get Noble (they need to trade it anyway), if they got back a F2 and Pick 48 it would be worth it I reckon. Values Noble at about Pick 41 on the points scale, Pies fans will think thats a bit unders, but they get Pick 12.

If they then want to go Houston, they probably would try this (not sure I would if I were them with where they finished this year), but Pick 12 and F1 for Houston and Ports F2. They can do this (even after trading their own F2, as they are bringing in another, hence they can then trade their F1 for Houston.

It would be Collingwood going all in, and them thinking that they would have made finals this year had they not had so many injuries.

We are getting picks 6 and 12 for Rioli or we keep Rioli. Cannot give Rioli away for just pick 6. Required player currently on long term contract with us. Suns have to pay up.

The other benefit of this is we stuff Collingwood

Likely to be a bargain around pick 30 and is the sort that I think could surprise at AFL.
Hope we take him.
We may not have picks after 30, but we may be able to grab him as our last pick in the 20s

Historically 30sand 40s is where the stsong no fuss mids have gone, rowbottom parker graham McAuliffe.
Anderson and Hynes are good options after the first intake of mids

No one wants to give up picks in this draft?
Suggests its a good crop. Good for us

Limited number of clubs with multiple picks, most have bare minimum and have restricted hands. Again good for us as not many clubs can compete in trades.

Clubs who do want to trade - lions, suns, maybe north and wce - have limited options.
Again good for us

Cody Anderson is a really good kid, tough as nails and runs a quick 20m for his heavy frame. He could play senior AFL pretty quickly and as a result, have people in raptures early doors.

However, Cody's kicking is really poor and the love would wear off very quickly if he weren't to improve this part of his game.

Reactions: 3 users

Cody Anderson tested 2.88 seconds for the 20 meter sprint in the Coats Talent League pre-season testing so if he can also play footy? that's quick.

• Wow
Sam Thomastown spoke really well on Gettables yesterday. Kept on hinting Duz every time he was asked, so I'd say he prefers us to pick him.

• Haha