2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Cody Anderson is a really good kid, tough as nails and runs a quick 20m for his heavy frame. He could play senior AFL pretty quickly and as a result, have people in raptures early doors.

However, Cody's kicking is really poor and the love would wear off very quickly if he weren't to improve this part of his game.
So you're telling us we can get a fast rowbottom. Huge for midfield structure

Just out of left field say we get pick 6 for Rioli (and something else) and picks 9 and 10 for Bolton. Would you trade one of these picks for NM future first so they can acquire Houston. See article on afl website about free helping north with this trade

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
The more opinions I read , the more it appears we should load up on this years picks ( deep draft ) and only take future firsts for next seasons draft , all theory , however a pick 40in this years is the equal of a pick 25 next year , as we all know things can change quickly. I see no issue with having 8 or 9 cubs drafted as we have still have a wealth of mature Premiership players to set the standards

Reactions: 3 users
Cody Anderson is a really good kid, tough as nails and runs a quick 20m for his heavy frame. He could play senior AFL pretty quickly and as a result, have people in raptures early doors.

However, Cody's kicking is really poor and the love would wear off very quickly if he weren't to improve this part of his game.
He's not that bad Robert ,no worse than Jagga,probably gets more distance .

I think...

We trade Rioli & a future 3rd for pick 6 & a future 2nd from GC

3 way trade involving
Bolton for picks 9 & 10
Baker & pick 10 for pick 3 & WC's future 3rd

Richmond lose Baker, Bolton & gain picks 3, 9 & future 3rd from WC

We then trade our picks after 39 that are worth value for Brisbane's 15

I think we'll end up with something like picks 1, 3, 6, 9, 15, 21, 29, 39. + GC's second rounder on top of ours next year giving us four picks within the first 37 or so picks next year

For 2024 draft I hope we target

Elite mids with our first three picks
We get three KPP's ideally one 198cm+ monster, who can also rotate through the ruck, one traditional KPP in the 194-197cm range, & one mobile KPP
We get a genuine small forward
A mid/fwd with one of our later picks

Dream outcome
We get FOS & Jagga with 1 & 3
We get Lalor with 6
Pick 9 we get Armstrong
Pick 15 we get Tauru
Pick 21 Jack Whitlock or Hotton/Berry if available
Pick 29 Moraes/Dattoli/Gross or Matt Whitlock if Hotton/Berry selected at 21
39 best leftover of Moraes/Dattoli/Gross

We'll still likely need another couple of players but I think we just add them over the summer. I think we draft the best available rookie over summer & a more mature body, maybe a Davidson to give us a little more maturity over the next couple of years

Then we draft in 1-2 players in mid-season draft next year plus four players within the first 37 picks of the 2025 draft
Baker and pick 10 for 3 we're getting our pants 👖 pulled down.

Reactions: 1 users
No one wants to give up picks in this draft?
Suggests its a good crop. Good for us

Limited number of clubs with multiple picks, most have bare minimum and have restricted hands. Again good for us as not many clubs can compete in trades.

Clubs who do want to trade - lions, suns, maybe north and wce - have limited options.
Again good for us
Agreed, but does it make it more difficult for us to trade higher up the draft or make it more difficult to trade. For example most of us, myself included, believe we should get picks 9 & 13 for Rioli. Does the fact clubs would be desperate to get their hands on those picks make it less likely GC would trade them both for Rioli.
It a bit of swings and roundabouts I reckon. It doesn’t mean we won’t get the deal we want but does make it a lot more work to do so.

Agreed, but does it make it more difficult for us to trade higher up the draft or make it more difficult to trade. For example most of us, myself included, believe we should get picks 9 & 13 for Rioli. Does the fact clubs would be desperate to get their hands on those picks make it less likely GC would trade them both for Rioli.
It a bit of swings and roundabouts I reckon. It doesn’t mean we won’t get the deal we want but does make it a lot more work to do so.
Same goes for Freo and Shai probably

Last edited:
We are getting picks 6 and 12 for Rioli or we keep Rioli. Cannot give Rioli away for just pick 6. Required player currently on long term contract with us. Suns have to pay up.

The other benefit of this is we stuff Collingwood

I can't see how we get both, unless we are giving them a lot back to offset some of those points. It may come down to how much of his salary we are paying, but 6 and 12 is a lot to pay. If they are what people are going in with the expectation to receive then get ready to be disappointed.

Just out of left field say we get pick 6 for Rioli (and something else) and picks 9 and 10 for Bolton. Would you trade one of these picks for NM future first so they can acquire Houston. See article on afl website about free helping north with this trade
No. And plus Houston isnt interested in going to Norf.

The more opinions I read , the more it appears we should load up on this years picks ( deep draft ) and only take future firsts for next seasons draft , all theory , however a pick 40in this years is the equal of a pick 25 next year , as we all know things can change quickly. I see no issue with having 8 or 9 cubs drafted as we have still have a wealth of mature Premiership players to set the standards
Correct. I wanna see Yze standing with 7 new first rounder draftees on night one of the draft.

Reactions: 5 users
I can't see how we get both, unless we are giving them a lot back to offset some of those points. It may come down to how much of his salary we are paying, but 6 and 12 is a lot to pay. If they are what people are going in with the expectation to receive then get ready to be disappointed.

There will not be any disappointment from our side. We get 6 and 12 or we keep Rioli.

The Suns are chasing Rioli to break a long term contract as Hardwick wants him to give the drive from half back. Agree there maybe more in way of late pick swaps but we we stay firm on the 6 and 12

Reactions: 2 users
I remember watching Fowler in the 70s if I recall correctly, rough,unskilled by foot but desperate and hard at it. Spent lots of time lying on the ground after trying to lay a tackle...thought he was no good..
After a few years maturity he turned into a very good reliable defender and blossomed after goung to Dees.
Cody Anderson could be that player.
You can learn poise with time if you have desperation and hardness..see A Rance.

Last edited: