2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Now for something completely different.
I was listening to Simmo on SEN this morning and he said that he was getting phone calls from players wanting to go to West Coast to play alongside Harley Reid. I can understand wanting to play alongside a champion and he will help them recruit quality players going forward.

It got me thinking would you rather have pick 1 in a poor draft but where pick 1 is Harley Reid or multiple first round picks in this year’s draft?

Is it possible we have bottomed out one year too late?

Reactions: 1 user
I was listening to Simmo on SEN this morning and he said that he was getting phone calls from players wanting to go to West Coast to play alongside Harley Reid. I can understand wanting to play alongside a champion and he will help them recruit quality players going forward.

It got me thinking would you rather have pick 1 in a poor draft but where pick 1 is Harley Reid or multiple first round picks in this year’s draft?

Im not convinced Harley Reid will have a better career than all the kids in this year top 20.

doubtful any will be immediately as good and eye-catching,

but they could end up as good or better over the 15 years

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
The more he play's the better he is getting ,l wouldn't be upset with a mid first rounder on him,l reckon he's better than Smillie and 18 in December..O..O..O..

Reactions: 5 users
No. But it's not 'not even close'. If the rules hadn't changed FOS would have been eligible for the draft last year. And would have gone top-4.
Meh. He is miles behind Cotch as a draft prospect, Cotch was getting Gary Ablett Jnr buzz.

And now it's the rule changes that have stopped him being taken already. And not convinced he goes top 6 last year let alone top 4. He is not showing elite mid form. Talent is absolutely there but he isn’t a walk up start to become a mid, there is plenty of not quite red flags but caution signs. I would take one of Lalor or FOS but not both.

Reactions: 4 users

As GWS had our first pick and Reid would be playing for them, I'd say no.

Reactions: 2 users
Meh. He is miles behind Cotch as a draft prospect, Cotch was getting Gary Ablett Jnr buzz.

And now it's the rule changes that have stopped him being taken already. And not convinced he goes top 6 last year let alone top 4. He is not showing elite mid form. Talent is absolutely there but he isn’t a walk up start to become a mid, there is plenty of not quite red flags but caution signs. I would take one of Lalor or FOS but not both.
Yes of course it's the rule changes that stopped him being drafted last year. You used to be able to draft 17 year-olds (a la Cotch, Lids). Now you can't.

FOS was Vic Country's second-best player last year. He lit up the Coates League. Duursma went pick 4. He played VC with FOS. He got drafted on glimpses. FOS dominated games. Last year.

You're just hating, for some strange reason.

Reminder to "there's no Harley Reid this year" crowd that Chris Judd went at pick 3 and subsequently went on to play arguably the greatest debut season of the modern era before becoming an all-time great of the game -he was highly rated in his draft year but he wasn't hyped up like Reid and not one but two players were picked before him.

From the H&S.

RICHMOND

Indicative Draft Order: 1, 21, 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73

The Tigers’ draft hand looks strong as it is, with the wooden-spoon winners holding the No.1 pick among four selections in the top-40. But you can bet that it will look a lot stronger after the trade and free agency period as departures loom for experienced players Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton, Liam Baker and Jack Graham. Therefore, Richmond could easily end up with five or more picks inside the top-25. That would provide plenty of options and allow the Tigers to pick a range of different players to build around over the next decade. Some still think Victorian midfielder Finn O’Sullivan is the best choice at pick 1 as a combative two-way running midfielder, but Jagga Smith has also put forward a strong case this year as a prolific ball-winner who uses the footy well. If the Tigers snag multiple other first-round picks in deals for Rioli and Bolton, they could snag a second star midfielder like Sam Lalor, Harvey Langford or Murphy Reid, before targeting some taller key position players. Key forward Harry Armstrong – a strong-marking 195cm player – would be a nice addition, while Tobie Travaglia is a 187cm intercepting defender who would also be of interest. Twins Matt and Jack Whitlock – who measure 199cm and 200cm respectively – would also be firmly in the frame. Matt has shown an ability to feature at both ends of the ground this year, while Jack is a high-marking key forward who kicks goals.

Reactions: 9 users
Reminder to "there's no Harley Reid this year" crowd that Chris Judd went at pick 3 and subsequently went on to play arguably the greatest debut season of the modern era before becoming an all-time great of the game -he was highly rated in his draft year but he wasn't hyped up like Reid and not one but two players were picked before him.
A reminder also that Judd's draft year was ruined by injury.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think the question about whether fos will be a full time mid and get 30 possessions is fair

Fos has a 1100 yo-yo so his endurance is in the 99th percentile , due to his injuries this year he has spent a lot of time on the bench and up forward

The question is will he ever get fully fit , if the answer is yes it’s a no brainer for me

Reactions: 8 users
So have O'Sullivan's & Lalor's - point is no-one truly knows how good this draft is until we see them in the big time and even then probably not for a few seasons.

Last edited:
Yes of course it's the rule changes that stopped him being drafted last year. You used to be able to draft 17 year-olds (a la Cotch, Lids). Now you can't.

FOS was Vic Country's second-best player last year. He lit up the Coates League. Duursma went pick 4. He played VC with FOS. He got drafted on glimpses. FOS dominated games. Last year.

You're just hating, for some strange reason.
Lolz, a rule change that has been in place for a long time. Will FOS have a bigger impact in year 1 than Nick Watson?

If I’m hating, which I’m not, just not blowing smoke, you are that far inserted we are only seeing laces.

For some strange reason.

Judd and Cotch mentions, boy oh boy

Lolz, a rule change that has been in place for a long time.
I don't think you understand my point.

Will FOS have a bigger impact in year 1 than Nick Watson?
Who gives a *smile*. Rhys Palmer had a bigger impact than Cotch in year 1. Are we drafting for year 1? What a stupid question.

If I’m hating, which I’m not, just not blowing smoke, you are that far inserted we are only seeing laces.

For some strange reason.

Judd and Cotch mentions, boy oh boy
Nah, you're hating. You're not just 'not blowing smoke', you're hanging *smile*. Anyone who points out he's been injured is 'making excuses'. But anyone dares point out any flaws in Jagga's game and they're 'picking him apart' according to you.

It's okay if you can't see it, just admit it.

I hope we get both Jagga & FOS so we don't have to compare them too much their whole careers. And I hope all the draftees can get an injury free run at it to at least get the opportunity to establish a career.

We are probably all getting a bit precious, I do not like readxing about Jagga's "flaws" maybe some might be true? And the FOS No. 1 camp don't like the criticism of his durability/reduced output. I think there are very valid reasons for FOS and hopefully there are no longer term issues to worry about.

They are both outstanding juniors, as are many others, let's hope the club gets the right environment in place so they can reach their full potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users