2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Geeze you guys want to give players and points away, i hope our guys value both more than some on here do

Its not that we want to give players and points away but there is only so much trading you can do, and points don't matter to a lot of teams that we'd like to trade with.

In my example, maybe we get Pick 23 for Bakers. Whats better for us at the draft. Having 6, 23 and 39, or having 3 and 23. I'd have 3 and 23 personally.

Too many people look at individual trades and expect to win them all, I'd rather look at the overall value of the trade period.

Reactions: 6 users
Its not that we want to give players and points away but there is only so much trading you can do, and points don't matter to a lot of teams that we'd like to trade with.

In my example, maybe we get Pick 23 for Bakers. Whats better for us at the draft. Having 6, 23 and 39, or having 3 and 23. I'd have 3 and 23 personally.

Too many people look at individual trades and expect to win them all, I'd rather look at the overall value of the trade period.
I agree but if you loose too many trades you never get in the position to trade picks for points, realistically if we bid on Ashcroft at 1 (he is the best player so we should) we should be able to get brisbanes first this year and next for the 2400 points they need to match, if we give away too many trades our ability to do this drops significantly

Points are irrelevant. We want pick 2 and pick 3 so we can get the three best players. That's the aim of the game: drafting the best players, not 'winning' some arbitrary points battle.

I think that's extremely unlikely.
With that strategy will we have any late first rounds picks or early second rounders ?

Where we are in a great position to do points trades is that the three clubs with the most points at the moment are us, Gold Coast and drop. If the mooted trades go through with us neither feel or go will have spare points (free won’t and he will need theirs for Lombard). We have an excellent opportunity to spread some points this year into next year where they will be more valuable

Thanks. Doubt they would downgrade pick 3 to pick 10 (13ish after bids & compos). They would want pick 6 (7) if we were to receive that for Rioli. Do we trade pick 6 (7) and Baker for 3?
No chance im doing Baker + #6 for pick #3
Thats giving Baker away

Baker + #6 + #39 for #3+ #23 i would do if they also take Jack Graham as a band 3 compo
would give us the first 3 out of 4 picks in day 2

Reactions: 1 users
The 2020 u18 season didnt happen.
Holmes played 1 game of u18s in 2019. He is one out of the box.
There have been plenty of kids with "elite traits" that dont win a lot of the football. and if FOS ends up like this whoever drafts him cant really complain, because that is what he currently is.
I think you are forgetting his whole 2023 campaign where he won plenty of the ball and was all Australian. Sure he has had a injury interrupted year in 2024 but there is no problem with his ball winning ability

FOS highlights from the Talent League Prelim

...kinda meh

This is 5/10 game at best. His marking is by far his best feature in this clip. I don’t see a full time mid. I see a forward who gets spells in the middle. It’s Jordan De Goey at best, don’t think he has Issac Heenay. I can’t take him at 1. There’s talent but we need ball winners, we need mids who run, we need spread. That’s not FOS’s skill set.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users