2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Well, just on your boy, Adrian Caruso was asked, if you had the number 1 pick, who would you be taking ? Quite promptly he said GWS recruit not on the now, but for the future and to that end he said there were two clear stand outs in his mind as being the best of the draft in years to come: FOS and Lalor.

He said there's a bunch of good players early, but those two were the standouts in his view.
Get pick 2 off North.
1/-Jagga
2/-FOS
3/-Lalor
Problem Solved.

Reactions: 1 users
The last bit of mail that went around , which a few on here had heard was The Toce favoured big Smillie shoemaker, I haven’t seen anything anywhere to say this has changed ? I like others hope it was incorrect or he’s changed his mind , though in saying that I wouldn’t be one bit shocked if Smillie Vanilli does turn out the best of the crop of 24

If you download the Coates Talent League app from your apple or google store you can definitely get a live stream there. Not being technically savvy I am not sure how you go about casting it from your phone to your lap top or TV or if you can?, (luckily I won't have to worry as will be attending the games :)))
You can cast it to a TV from iPhone via Apple TV…
So I assume you can via other means.

Regards,
Stan

Reactions: 1 user
10 draftees?
Thats a whole lot of room we have to make on the list.
Nah. Up to 10 draftees being the actual suggestion. If the 4 trades go through plus the 4 already retired, there's 8 off the list but we were running with 2 over late this year due to injuries. We've already got 6 vacancies to play with and we haven't even considered any delistings. I'm fairly certain that every reader of PRE could name between 2 and 4 players that could be delisted this year without having to strain the cranium. I'm not interested in putting names of blokes trying to hang onto their AFL careers, but there's room to find a few.

8 to 10 picks this year is nothing extreme and has been done not only by us before but other clubs as well. If a clean out must be done, bring out the big dunny brush n draino to start with n scrape all the scunge n sediment out properly. Then ya just need to do a bit of delicate polishing on a regular basis to get things pristine n shiny new again.

Cant wait to see the melts to be honest. Its going to be legendary. All the while I am just crossing everything and praying we get what we need.

True Jason "King" Castagna.

Reckon the first will be when Graham only gets end of 2nd round compo. band 4.

Seems most are banking on band 3. Hope am wrong but very much doubt that will happen.

Especially considering we have upped our offer. A clear sign we know the Eagles offer won't trigger band 3.

Personally, not worrying about who we will draft where until trades are done and we know our picks. Too much water to go under the bridge.

Boring, Leysy knows.

Reactions: 3 users
10 draftees?
Thats a whole lot of room we have to make on the list.
Yep, its not hard if we have to.

Dusty, Grimes, Pickett, Naismith all already gone. Bolton, Rioli, Graham & Baker looking likely. That’s 8. Coulthard & Cumbo make 10.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, its not hard if we have to.

Dusty, Grimes, Pickett, Naismith all already gone. Bolton, Rioli, Graham & Baker looking likely. That’s 8. Coulthard & Cumbo make 10.

-2 for the mid season lads. Back to 8.

The other two uncontracted are K-Mac and Dow. One probably stays. There's 9.

But that will be over the three drafts and not taking into account of we don't get anyone in. Suspect we might get a fringie in from somewhere.

Nah. Up to 10 draftees being the actual suggestion. If the 4 trades go through plus the 4 already retired, there's 8 off the list but we were running with 2 over late this year due to injuries. We've already got 6 vacancies to play with and we haven't even considered any delistings. I'm fairly certain that every reader of PRE could name between 2 and 4 players that could be delisted this year without having to strain the cranium. I'm not interested in putting names of blokes trying to hang onto their AFL careers, but there's room to find a few.

8 to 10 picks this year is nothing extreme and has been done not only by us before but other clubs as well. If a clean out must be done, bring out the big dunny brush n draino to start with n scrape all the scunge n sediment out properly. Then ya just need to do a bit of delicate polishing on a regular basis to get things pristine n shiny new again.
Whats the list size 42?
-Dusty/Grimes/Pickett/Rioli/Bolton/Baker/Graham/Naismith=34- 4 delistings=30 + Gray/Blight & Bauer=33
9 draft picks.
Tight but doable.

agree for all his failings (which are diminishing I reckon), Twomey must put in a lot of hours in pavilion-style cubicles.

and yep we all frame our own markets and try beat the bookies.

sometimes we are right, sometimes they are.

You wont see picket imprints on my engine room; my position is usually pretty clear. Never moreso than in regards to Master J.Smith.

and in November, tremoring down through the millennia, we will probably know who had the greatest irrelevant POV.

I'm pretty sure RFC will get the relevant stuff right.

In what is unequivocally the most exciting and intriguing draft in the history of the world
I'll bring the champers but if we don't get FOS I can't guarantee I won't piff it at Jack Riewoldt.

• Haha
Whats the list size 42?
-Dusty/Grimes/Pickett/Rioli/Bolton/Baker/Graham/Naismith=34- 4 delistings=30 + Gray/Blight & Bauer=33
9 draft picks.
Tight but doable.
Nah. List size is 42 n we've currently got a total of 44. We don't count the B rookies.
So retirements and trades equals 8 off the squad of 44 which means 36 players left on the squad.
Delist 4 players equals 32 players left on the squad which would give us the capacity to take 10 players to get back up to list size of 42 players.

Dunno why you put Gray, Blight n Bauer separate on your calculation but it throws it out.

Pick 1 I want a match winner, someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and wills his team to victory.

Dusty
Cotch
Voss
Judd

Too much to ask this year it appears.
I'm not sure how someone who racks up disposals, clearances and score involvements isn't seen as a match winner.

Consistency the key as Smith jags RMC Medal​

JAGGA Smith‘s lowest disposal tally this year is 24. He has set arguably the highest floor of any Coates Talent League player en route to captaining the Oakleigh Chargers into a preliminary final.

The midfielder averages 33.9 disposals per game, including a high of 50 against Western Jets in Round 9 among eight separate efforts of over 30 touches. His consistency across all levels has been breath taking.

Unlucky not to be named MVP of the title-winning Vic Metro side, he contributed averages of 29.3 disposals and 6.8 clearances in four appearances. What’s more, he won the centre clearance which propelled his side forward for the decisive final play, which ended in a goal after the siren.

For all the numbers thrown up, Smith is more than merely an accumulator. He set out this year not only to be consistent, which he has achieved to no end, but to also establish himself as a damaging ball user.

The last bit of mail that went around , which a few on here had heard was The Toce favoured big Smillie shoemaker, I haven’t seen anything anywhere to say this has changed ? I like others hope it was incorrect or he’s changed his mind , though in saying that I wouldn’t be one bit shocked if Smillie Vanilli does turn out the best of the crop of 24
I can only assume that was when he was delirious on his death bed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Consistency the key as Smith jags RMC Medal​

JAGGA Smith‘s lowest disposal tally this year is 24. He has set arguably the highest floor of any Coates Talent League player en route to captaining the Oakleigh Chargers into a preliminary final.

The midfielder averages 33.9 disposals per game, including a high of 50 against Western Jets in Round 9 among eight separate efforts of over 30 touches. His consistency across all levels has been breath taking.

Unlucky not to be named MVP of the title-winning Vic Metro side, he contributed averages of 29.3 disposals and 6.8 clearances in four appearances. What’s more, he won the centre clearance which propelled his side forward for the decisive final play, which ended in a goal after the siren.

For all the numbers thrown up, Smith is more than merely an accumulator. He set out this year not only to be consistent, which he has achieved to no end, but to also establish himself as a damaging ball user.

I am sure that they have mutual admiration for each other, (i can't see a world where we get both though)., Jagga on Fin:

“To have a highly talented player like Finn back in the team, it’s just, he does it all,” Smith said.

“That’s the thing I like about Finn. He attacks, he defends, his aerial is really, really strong. It gives you great confidence when you’re running out with guys like Finn back into the team.”

Has anyone focused on dual-sided ability out of interest? I've watched a few videos and have found it very hard to tell as most seem to heavily favour kicking with the one side. Dual-sided abity is a non-negotiable imo.

I have RCD vibes with Smillie. Big bodied mid with attributes and lots of room for improvement but a) Couldnt find enough of the footy and b) didn’t improve.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone focused on dual-sided ability out of interest? I've watched a few videos and have found it very hard to tell as most seem to heavily favour kicking with the one side. Dual-sided abity is a non-negotiable imo.
Unfortunately it's a rarity. FOS, Berry, Dattoli all good on the opposite.