2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

if I was a betting man, perish the thought,

id say it was significantly more likely Lalor plays for Richmond than FOS

namely, that I reckon our best picks will be 1 and 6 (clubs just aren't gonna throw top 5 picks about like Santa with lollies in the deepest, richest draft in 7 years)

and im pretty sure Jagga goes 1, and Lalor is way more likely to be at 6 than FOS
The only thing to me EZY is that I can see an argument for west coast to trade pick 3.

If they believe they will get hawthorns pick for Barass and they would have to give that up for Baker then they would be left with just pick 3 in the first round.

If we offered them 10 and Baker for 3 then it is a simple choice for them. Is pick 3 better than pick 10 and (say) 15 in a deep draft? For us it is the same question of course but given the number of picks we may have we could legitimately aim to maximise our hand at the very top end.

Obviously those pick numbers are before bids.

Reactions: 2 users
Pick 1 I want a match winner, someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and wills his team to victory.

Dusty
Cotch
Voss
Judd

Too much to ask this year it appears.
You've got a couple of pick 3's a 2 and i'm not even sure Voss was drafted, the bears just found him kickin around Morningside.
Its not the number, its the player you pick.

Reactions: 3 users
You've got a couple of pick 3's a 2 and i'm not even sure Voss was drafted, the bears just found him kickin around Morningside.
Yeah, there doesn’t seem to be a record of the Bears drafting Voss. They must have been given access to him because he’d been living in QLD since he was 11.

yep Voss and Aker were both Academy picks before they were a thing. free.

vossy was morningside, aker went to Nudgee: a rugby union version of Scotch

Reactions: 1 users
Norfs.

Will Thursfield has pretty strong opinions. And he backs em.

Norfs will take the best available at pick #2/3.

Caruso is telling us that it will either FOS or Lalor.

When Twomey put Smith at #2 on his August board that had to be based on agent mail on RFC interest.

Morris’s comments sound genuine to me. And appear mainstream.

Caruso mainstream view. Morris mainstream view.

There’s a lot more form to do yet. But atm I’d think it likey that if RFC takes Lalor at #1 Norfs will take FOS. And vice versa.

I know he was shooting from the lip but Caruso won’t want to be wrong. He’s an orthodox form student with skin in the game. FOS. Lalor. Mainstream.

Reactions: 5 users
Norfs picks since 2020 - including mid season and rookie - 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 2, 4, 2

they should be banned from the top 5 for a spell

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Changing focus, I wonder if we'll keep a later pick up our sleeve and if someone like James Barrat would be in contention. 193cm, late November birthday, started the year as a key forward, shifted to defence, and most recently looked to play mainly midfield opposed to Harvey Langford, amassing 25 touches and 2 goals.

Good mover and nice skills. (Very windy conditions.)
Great - let’s go for SYD Draper and James BARRAT and we’ll have a couple of real creative geniuses.

• Haha
is there a stream of Sundays prelim/s?

If you download the Coates Talent League app from your apple or google store you can definitely get a live stream there. Not being technically savvy I am not sure how you go about casting it from your phone to your lap top or TV or if you can?, (luckily I won't have to worry as will be attending the games :)))

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
are you factoring in he had Ashcroft at 1 Cap'n?
Yes, eZ. Ashcroft looks clearly #1 to me and is mainstream #1 on the limited evidence we have from those with skin in the game.

Twomey gets mail from agents and even from clubs. His mail is incredible. The games he must play. The barter. Wow.

Fwiw I thought at first that the PRE rating of Jagga Smith at #2 was radical. But the Twomey mail makes it mainstream. He must be thereabouts.

With Draper, FOS, Lalor all injured and below their best this year other players have to climb. It was Smith in August.

Twomey’s next board will give the us a better indication. Then there’s the draft camp testing. Lots for those with skin in the game to study yet. Lots of new information.

At this stage the market probably has it Ashcroft, Lalor/FOS/Smith. That will change.

While we have fun working out who is going at pick 1, the first big twist in this draft could happen as early as pick 2.

There are real concerns about the lad Trainor and his history of head knocks. He seems an ideal fit for the Kangaroos, but what if they deem him too great of a risk?

Do they go the next-best player ... or do they split the pick knowing they can probably get a quality tall deeper into the draft? Could it even be that Trainor now drops like a stone, with North a chance to get him much later than expected?

The whole top end of the draft hinges on the risk-reward assessment of Trainor by North.

If I were North, I'd be getting the hell out of pick 2.
Surely then they take Armstrong at 2?

Yes, eZ. Ashcroft looks clearly #1 to me and is mainstream #1 on the limited evidence we have from those with skin in the game.

Twomey gets mail from agents and even from clubs. His mail is incredible. The games he must play. The barter. Wow.

Fwiw I thought at first that the PRE rating of Jagga Smith at #2 was radical. But the Twomey mail makes it mainstream. He must be thereabouts.

With Draper, FOS, Lalor all injured and below their best this year other players have to climb. It was Smith in August.

Twomey’s next board will give the us a better indication. Then there’s the draft camp testing. Lots for those with skin in the game to study yet. Lots of new information.

At this stage the market probably has it Ashcroft, Lalor/FOS/Smith. That will change.

agree for all his failings (which are diminishing I reckon), Twomey must put in a lot of hours in pavilion-style cubicles.

and yep we all frame our own markets and try beat the bookies.

sometimes we are right, sometimes they are.

You wont see picket imprints on my engine room; my position is usually pretty clear. Never moreso than in regards to Master J.Smith.

and in November, tremoring down through the millennia, we will probably know who had the greatest irrelevant POV.

I'm pretty sure RFC will get the relevant stuff right.

In what is unequivocally the most exciting and intriguing draft in the history of the world

• Love
Me either.

This bloke provides a pretty good summary of why FOS is the 1. Not sure about the Phillipou comparison but Will Day athleticism with Nick Daicos skills is a pretty good description:

Not sure how credible this Guy is.
Said FOS looked Healthy & Fit when he played for us in the vfl.
Played injured for the most part. :rolleyes:

That'd still leave Brisvegas praying that Ashcroft falls to pick 3 before they'd need to match a bid as they wouldn't have enough points without going into slight deficit on next years pick. It would also mean that Brisvegas would need to go all out deficit on next years draft to try and match any bids for that Marshall bloke in their academy.

I'm all in on the hope that with our trades coming through we might have half a dozen selections for the first round of the draft this year. Bloody amazing if it comes off, but I'm somewhat concerned we might need to add some sweetener value to other clubs to facilitate these trades. By dumping all, or near all of our later picks into Brisvegas we'll lack working room.
I'm also of the belief that even with a massive pillage of the first round of the draft, we should be seriously looking at 9 or 10 draftees this year if we are serious about going the full rebuild mode and then probably another 4 or 5 selections for next years draft.
Do we go 6 first rounders n then trawl hopefully through the rookie n pre season scrap bins to try n find another 3 or 4 hopefuls.
Or do we go all 9 or 10 picks inside the top 50 picks with 5 of them being first rounders.
10 draftees?
Thats a whole lot of room we have to make on the list.