2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Jagga and Langford would send me batty.

The most vanilla early draft combo of all time.

Risk / reward is a thing and that combo would see us as average.

I would go FOS and Jagga/Draper/Lalor in that order. Gives us more upside while balancing risk IMHO

Each to their own,

But if the reigning AA captain and Larke medallist is most vanilla ever,

Ill take a big triple scoop of neopolitian thanks

Reactions: 2 users
Shouldn't we folks be waiting for the draft combine and see the athletic traits before we start spending our draft cash?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
at pick 1 you take no risk.

at pick 5 you take a tiny bit of risk

at pick 20 you take some risk.

at pick 50 you take a lot of risk.

its a pretty realistic and foolproof matrix IMHO.
In 2014 our least riskiest pick was #83 PASS

• Haha
Shouldn't we folks be waiting for the draft combine and see the athletic traits before we start spending our draft cash?

Weve seen the athletic traits being employed to get, catch, and kick the footy over 3 years

KPP's and late picks/rookies, yes.

Last edited:
Money GIF by Imaginal Biotech

So possibly the 3 best of them were traded in?

Reckon most would take either Cameron or Hogan if you had the pick of the lot. Curnow in the argument. Daniher I would never go near but plenty would have him in their top 5.

Of course they cost, but that is the price of going for flags.

I have seen about 6 names go up as potential KP forwards to draft in this thread, there is no real standout? Our midfield is a basket case would love to have some Syd type depth through there.

I am not against drafting a KPF, and perhaps we get lucky and snag a Traecy with a later pick.
As I said 10 of the top 13 were recruited by their original club. Those that are recruited from other clubs generally cost huge dollars and long contracts and the competition for them is extensive. The player gets to choose where they want to go and typically it will be a destination club which we are currently not and won't be for a while. Alot of stars have to align to get the trade player you want. Relying on that to happen is risky, you can't wait for years and not try and build a functioning forward line. We need to accumulate in the meantime, especially with so many good draft picks available. We have to add a key forward to our list. It's been a glaring issue and realistically those we have atm are, at best, 2nd and 3rd key forwards. Another Reiwoldt at #13 would be great, thanks.

Still reckon we go FOS with 1. Especially true if we get 3 from West Coast. Unless North trade their pick, we know they won't take Jagga. They just don't need anymore pure mids, they need talls but if they had 2 they would take FOS IMO as they can start him on a HFF.

So if we take Jagga with 1, North take FOS with 2.
If we take FOS with 1, North take either Armstrong, maybe Lalor with 2, we still get Jagga at 3.

Its a little bit like the 2004 draft. Hawks could have taken Roughead or Buddy at 2. They took Roughhead, because they didn't think we would take Buddy, so expected him to slide. Doesn't mean they rated Roughhead higher, just that was the best way to get that combo.
Great post. IF we get pick 3 the best way to secure both FOS and Jagga is to take FOS first, for no other reason than Nth is more likely to take FOS with pick 2 than Jagga.
Get them both and nobody will care which one we took at 1 or 3

Reactions: 7 users
Very curious how we know what other teams would take. Is there inside goss or leaks? I would have thought clubs would be keeping things very close to their chests. And we haven't even reached combined or health checks or interviews yet. Alot of water to flow under the bridge yet.