2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Here's a question: what separates Jagga so clearly from Reid and Draper as similar types you'd get at 3 (and potentially 6 for Reid) if Jagga went at 2?

Concern for a top-10 prospect​

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.

Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two head knocks last season.
He and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.
2 concussions last year and another one late this year is horrible for the kid.
Even if he comes up clear and well from this incident, there's gunna be meedjia speculation and hype hovering around in the back ground for every game he plays in at least his first few seasons. Every bump, tackle n knock there'll be the finger poised over send buttons just waiting to report the duty of care n career ending probability of his next concussion.

Coates Prelims at Moorabbin on Sunday:

Assistance required please: so if i decide to go who do i need to watch out for other the ones I have mentioned below?

Dragons:
Ashcroft, (Brisb Academy:vomit)
Murphy Reid
Sam Marshall, (Brisb Academy:vomit)

Stingrays:
Harvey Langford
Cooper Hynes

Rebels:
Jack Ough
Jonty Faull

Chargers:
Jagga
FOS
Harry Armstrong
Tom Gross
Personally, just off the top of my head, it should be:

Dragons: Dalton (2025), Ludowyke (2025), Armstrong, Oliver, Sulzberger and Voss.

Stingrays: Ah-Mu (2025), Hibbins-Hargreaves (2025), Hopkins, Doughton.

Chargers: Emmett (2025), Grlj (2025), Dowling.

Rebels: Charleson, Hannaford, Burmeister, Unwin.

Maybe a couple of others....

Reactions: 1 users
Here's a question: what separates Jagga so clearly from Reid and Draper as similar types you'd get at 3 (and potentially 6 for Reid) if Jagga went at 2?

Mick is more agile and covers the ground quicker than Reid.

Draper doesn't bring teammates into it like Mick does.

Draper should be alongside FoS and Jagga though ILO. But being SA, you'd need comfort on his mindset, go-home factor etc

Reactions: 1 user
Mick is more agile and covers the ground quicker than Reid.

Draper doesn't bring teammates into it like Mick does.

Draper should be alongside FoS and Jagga though ILO. But being SA, you'd need comfort on his mindset, go-home factor etc
Reid kicks more goals. Draper is quicker.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, just off the top of my head, it should be:

Dragons: Dalton (2025), Ludowyke (2025), Armstrong, Oliver, Sulzberger and Voss.

Stingrays: Ah-Mu (2025), Hibbins-Hargreaves (2025), Hopkins, Doughton.

Chargers: Emmett (2025), Grlj (2025), Dowling.

Rebels: Charleson, Hannaford, Burmeister, Unwin.

Maybe a couple of others....

I had to look up Emmett's number on the team sheets on the weekend as he looked very impressive and I wondered why he hadn't been spoken about for 2024, now i know why, 2025 prospect.

I would be very comfortable finishing in the lower reaches again next year, (shame on me).

What's the risk?

You don't see that he hasn't got on the park this year as a risk?

You don't see that he hasn't dominated a game at all in his top age year as a risk?

You don't see the Sonsie like from line as a risk?

I think the boy has talent but taking him at one is a huge risk.

If Jagga gets injured this week he has the best and most consistent form line of anyone in the draft class and that is beyond dispute, it wouldn't change a thing.
Thats like comparing Cotchin to Dan Conners!

I had to look up Emmett's number on the team sheets on the weekend as he looked very impressive and I wondered why he hadn't been spoken about for 2024, now i know why, 2025 prospect.

O would be very comfortable finishing in the lower reaches again next year, (shame on me).
I know right. Was super impressive.

Changing focus, I wonder if we'll keep a later pick up our sleeve and if someone like James Barrat would be in contention. 193cm, late November birthday, started the year as a key forward, shifted to defence, and most recently looked to play mainly midfield opposed to Harvey Langford, amassing 25 touches and 2 goals.

Good mover and nice skills. (Very windy conditions.)

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of feeling gaslit. I could have sworn FOS was one of three bottom-agers (Ashcroft, Draper) who were AA in 2023.

In 2022 he was national u/16 MVP and AA captain.

Fair

Speaking of which, do you assign any risk to taking FOS at pick 1?

(you did respond to my point in the manner Donald Trump would if he stuck to the topic and to facts)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Still reckon we go FOS with 1. Especially true if we get 3 from West Coast. Unless North trade their pick, we know they won't take Jagga. They just don't need anymore pure mids, they need talls but if they had 2 they would take FOS IMO as they can start him on a HFF.

So if we take Jagga with 1, North take FOS with 2.
If we take FOS with 1, North take either Armstrong, maybe Lalor with 2, we still get Jagga at 3.

Its a little bit like the 2004 draft. Hawks could have taken Roughead or Buddy at 2. They took Roughhead, because they didn't think we would take Buddy, so expected him to slide. Doesn't mean they rated Roughhead higher, just that was the best way to get that combo.
Good points.

We need to grab Pick 3.

Reactions: 3 users
Fair

Speaking of which, do you assign any risk to taking FOS at pick 1?

(you did respond to my point in the manner Donald Trump would if he stuck to the topic and to facts)
What risk? That he'll be perpetually injured? That he'll struggle for match fitness whenever he spends two months out of the game, during which time he's likely advised not to run?

There's no such thing as a risk-free proposition. Not even Jagga.

I would be very comfortable finishing in the lower reaches again next year, (shame on me).

With up to 10 top 25 picks with the 10 or so current list players under 23 we will most likely finish bottom 4 and even more likely with pick #1 again without trying.

I'm a mug and want FOS mostly because he might have been the unanimous number 1 pick if he had a full season.

I love a good mystery box gamble. If we take FOS he might even be as good as Jagga.

What's the risk?

You don't see the Sonsie like from line as a risk?

Hawthorn had a good look in the VFL, and then two picks at 23 & 26 and still overlooked him. If we took FOS at 1 I don't think it's comparable.

I'll be going definitely one key position forward in one of those early picks massive need.

Essentially the argument is

Pick 1 going for the highest upside and then getting some safer picks

or

Going the safe pick with #1, and then go for upside after that

Cant lose really

Reactions: 5 users
What risk? That he'll be perpetually injured? That he'll struggle for match fitness whenever he spends two months out of the game, during which time he's likely advised not to run?

There's no such thing as a risk-free proposition. Not even Jagga.

I thought id made that clear:

1. the risk I see with FOS is you've grabbed a classy <20 possession mid who takes 10 seasons to get to 150 games at pick 1

2. the risk I'd assign to Jagga is he becomes the classic non-deserving Brownlow medalist in the tom Mitchell mould.

clearly, I think 1. is unlikely. But more likely than 2.

I dont know how many more ways and times I can write it?

I suspect when we look back on two superb careers, jagga will have twice the clearances and FOS will have twice the goals (although the current evidence suggests it will be twice the clearances and the same amount of goals)

over.

Last edited:
Pick 1 I want a match winner, someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and wills his team to victory.

Dusty
Cotch
Voss
Judd

Too much to ask this year it appears.

Reactions: 2 users
What this FOS vs Jagga tells us all is that we need both.

Laurel & Hardie
Abbott & Costello
Gilligan & The Skipper
B1 & B2

You cant have one without the other.

Operation get picks 1 & 2. Or worst case 1 &3.

• Love