2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I've got us with FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Berry. I wouldn't care who else we got if we got those four. And the beauty is not only is it realistic, we're also likely to get two more from the likes of Lindsay/Tauru/Whitlocks/Hotton/Sims etc.

I might have to bring champagne over.
Forget the champagne.
How about the moisturiser and tissues?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Really? 10 of the top 13 key position goal kickers this year were recruited by their original club. Only exceptions are Hogan, Cameron & Daniher. Two of those cost a fortune. Talls are a punt but with multiple Rd 1 picks one surely has to be a key forward.
So possibly the 3 best of them were traded in?

Reckon most would take either Cameron or Hogan if you had the pick of the lot. Curnow in the argument. Daniher I would never go near but plenty would have him in their top 5.

Of course they cost, but that is the price of going for flags.

I have seen about 6 names go up as potential KP forwards to draft in this thread, there is no real standout? Our midfield is a basket case would love to have some Syd type depth through there.

I am not against drafting a KPF, and perhaps we get lucky and snag a Traecy with a later pick.

Reactions: 1 users
Me either.

This bloke provides a pretty good summary of why FOS is the 1. Not sure about the Phillipou comparison but Will Day athleticism with Nick Daicos skills is a pretty good description:

How annoying is this guy? What sort of runs on the boards does he have as far as previous draft predictions/ratings go?

He chooses a 12D game to wax lyrical about FOS long striding and long kicking?

Sounded more like a spoken love letter to Aragorn from LOTR.

FOS is a super footballer and clearly has a lot of upside and I hope like hell we get him. But I reckon you could show a dozen single games from Jagga's highlight reel that demonstrate a future star - ball winning, agility, vision, distribution etc etc

Ultimately they are such complimentary footballers I hope we do everything we can to draft both.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You're making FOS sound like Danny Meyers.

Its hard to pinpoint who im thinking of?

Nigel Lappin? Maybe a classy fantastic 3rd beatle?

I firmly beleive Yze can build a game plan around Jaggas creativity and angle changing offensive instinct, much like macrae did with Daicos's run and precision.

If they grow up with a new plan together, theres gonna be 17 blokes in richmond jumpers who know with reasonable certainty that if theres a stoppage on the members wing, its coming into goal from the shane warne side

Again, i see a ripper classy player in FOS, but not the massive differentiation from everyone else that justifies pick 1. Yet.

He still has hopefully two games to gather 20 contested possession and kick 4 and carry Oakleigh to a flag

and put the debate to bed

Reactions: 1 user
What's the risk with FOS? That his badly broken finger will be chronic? That his corkie will be chronic?

What if someone snaps Jagga's collarbone this week? Does that change things?
What's the risk?

You don't see that he hasn't got on the park this year as a risk?

You don't see that he hasn't dominated a game at all in his top age year as a risk?

You don't see the Sonsie like from line as a risk?

I think the boy has talent but taking him at one is a huge risk.

If Jagga gets injured this week he has the best and most consistent form line of anyone in the draft class and that is beyond dispute, it wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: 3 users
What's the risk?

You don't see that he hasn't got on the park this year as a risk?

You don't see that he hasn't dominated a game at all in his top age year as a risk?

You don't see the Sonsie like from line as a risk?

I think the boy has talent but taking him at one is a huge risk.

If Jagga gets injured this week he has the best and most consistent form line of anyone in the draft class and that is beyond dispute, it wouldn't change a thing.
Nope.

Nothing like Sonsie.

Reactions: 1 user
I were at the Coates games on the weekend and I noticed Luke Trainor did not appear after half time, I didn't see him come off, has it been reported that it was another concussion??

Concern for a top-10 prospect​

The highest-rated tall defender in this year’s draft – Sandringham’s Luke Trainor – may not play again this season after copping a high hit in Saturday’s quarter-final win over the Calder Cannons.
Trainor, the grandson of champion former Geelong and North Melbourne goalkicker Doug Wade, had just received a handball when Calder ruckman Riley Leedham collected him in the head and gave away a free kick.

Trainor immediately clutched at his head but played on for a brief period before taking no part in the second half and going to hospital for precautionary reasons. The Dragons will find out his scan results on Wednesday.

The 18-year-old has a concussion history, including two head knocks last season.
He and key forward teammate Harry Armstrong are the standout tall players in a midfield-dominated class.

The AFL announced in March that any footballer who suffered a concussion outside the AFL and AFLW would need to miss at least 21 days, including the under-18 Talent League and other second-tier competitions.

Trainor was an emergency for the Dragons’ grand final win last year, and a concussion would rule him out of this year’s decider, too, assuming Sandringham beat Dandenong Stingrays on Sunday.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Coates Prelims at Moorabbin on Sunday:

Assistance required please: so if i decide to go who do i need to watch out for other the ones I have mentioned below?

Dragons:
Ashcroft, (Brisb Academy:vomit)
Murphy Reid
Sam Marshall, (Brisb Academy:vomit)

Stingrays:
Harvey Langford
Cooper Hynes

Rebels:
Jack Ough
Jonty Faull

Chargers:
Jagga
FOS
Harry Armstrong
Tom Gross

Last edited:
I 99% see why people have fallen in love with the idea of FOS

And at pick 1, an idea is all it is.

And i cant fathom how his proponents cant and wont acknowledge that.

Its a great idea, and an idea that could form into the real second coming of Cotchy.

I get all that.

But i dont get how you all cant see a 13 disposal average in a draft year is almost an unprecedented risk for a pick 1?

Maybe not even almost unprecedented? Maybe actually unprecedented?

I reckon Anthony Banik probably got the pill 30 times a week when he was 18. Probably andrew mcgrath too?

the best footy player in the world in 2022? Probably.

But this is the 2024 draft

Steve Morris, who lets be frank, is neither stephen wells, or tom hafey, saying 'hes above the level' after a seconds game? Come on, he said that about Liam Baker and half a dozen other blokes whose names will never ever be uttered at the trivia night.

Can you blokes see that you are advocating an empiracle risk?

No problems whatsoever with the willingness and certainty to take that risk,

But id feel less kind of gaslit almost

If you went 'yep the risk is real but worth taking'

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Coates Prelims Sunday:

Assistance required please: so if i decide to go who do i need to watch out for other the ones I have mentioned below?

Dragons:
Ashcroft
Murphy Reid

Stingrays:
Harvey Langford
Cooper Hynes

Rebels:
Jack Ough
Jonty Faull

Chargers:
Jagga
FOS
Harry Armstrong
Tom Gross
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "IF I DECIDE TO GO"

YOU'RE GOING AND YOU'LL BE PROVIDING A DETAILED REPORT FOR US

FFS

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I 99% see why people have fallen in love with the idea of FOS

And at pick 1, an idea is all it is.

And i cant fathom how his proponents cant and wont acknowledge that.

Its a great idea, and an idea that could form into the real second coming of Cotchy.

I get all that.

But i dont get how you all cant see a 13 disposal average in a draft year is almost an unprecedented risk for a pick 1?

Maybe not even almost unprecedented? Maybe actually unprecedented?

I reckon Anthony Banik probably got the pill 30 times a week when he was 18. Probably andrew mcgrath too?

the best footy player in the world in 2022? Probably.

But this is the 2024 draft

Steve Morris, who lets be frank, is neither stephen wells, or tom hafey, saying 'hes above the level' after a seconds game? Come on, he said that about Liam Baker and half a dozen other blokes whose names will never ever be uttered at the trivia night.

Can you blokes see that you are advocating an empiracle risk?

No problems whatsoever with the willingness and certainty to take that risk,

But id feel less kind of gaslit almost

If you went 'yep the risk is real but worth taking'
Yep, the minuscule risk is absolutely worth taking.

yes, the visuals are undoubtably there. ive seen it. but the evidence is largely in 2022.
Speaking of feeling gaslit. I could have sworn FOS was one of three bottom-agers (Ashcroft, Draper) who were AA in 2023.

In 2022 he was national u/16 MVP and AA captain.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, the minuscule risk is absolutely worth taking.
Well, just on your boy, Adrian Caruso was asked, if you had the number 1 pick, who would you be taking ? Quite promptly he said GWS recruit not on the now, but for the future and to that end he said there were two clear stand outs in his mind as being the best of the draft in years to come: FOS and Lalor.

He said there's a bunch of good players early, but those two were the standouts in his view.

Reactions: 7 users
Well, just on your boy, Adrian Caruso was asked, if you had the number 1 pick, who would you be taking ? Quite promptly he said GWS recruit not on the now, but for the future and to that end he said there were two clear stand outs in his mind as being the best of the draft in years to come: FOS and Lalor.

He said there's a bunch of good players early, but those two were the standouts in his view.
He's a good judge. I agree entirely.

What's the risk with FOS? That his badly broken finger will be chronic? That his corkie will be chronic?

What if someone snaps Jagga's collarbone this week? Does that change things?

What Norf does will shape the top-10. I think they'll find it tough to get a buyer for pick 2. They want a tall. Trainor has concussion issues and could seriously slide. Do they emulate GWS with Cadman and reach for Armstrong? Twomey saying some clubs have him around the top 5 so maybe not such a stretch.

Do they add Jagga to their list of early pick sub-6ft mids (McKercher, Wardlaw, Phillips) or do they go for a bigger body like Lalor, Langford or Smillie?

If Armstrong kicks another bag in the next fortnight he comes into the frame I reckon. Unless we take Jagga at 1, then Norf swoops on FOS at 2.

A stab at the first round (with us getting 9 & 10 for Shai, trading 10 and Bakes for 3; getting 6 & 12 for Rioli with something going back to GC; and getting Brisbane's first with late picks):

1. RIC - FOS
2. Bris - Ashcroft
3. Norf - Armstrong
4. RIC - Jagga
5. Ade - Draper
6. GC - Lombard
7. Mel - Langford/Lalor/Reid
8. RIC - Lalor/Langford/Reid
9. St K - Reid/Lalor/Langford
10. St K - Smillie
11. Ess - Shanahan
12. RIC - Berry
13. WC - Allan
14. Ess - Kako
15. Car - Travaglia
16. RIC - Lindsay
17. WC (via Hawks for Barrass) - Dodson
18. RIC - J, Whitlock
19. GWS - Hotton
20. Dogs (via Geelong for Smith) - Trainor
21. Freo - Davis
22. Syd - Tauru
23. Syd - Dattoli
24. Coll (via GC for Noble) - M. Whitlock

Could be the only ones I get right are the f/son and academy kids. We might go Tauru at 16 instead of Lindsay if we already have three mids.
I think you have nailed the top 6 picks.

7. Mel - Lalor
8. Rich - Langford
9. St. K - Reid
10. St K - Smilie

Thats my top 10.

He's a good judge. I agree entirely.
Once I tell him of your similar view, I am sure he will revert. "Jagga is a clear number 1 I believe".

He was also asked about interstate draftees and the "go home factor". A clear reference to Draper. Again, unequivocally he said that GWS pay it near zero attention. Unless there is a clear character or personality item they identify in their interviews, they back themselves in to keep the player. He cited Taylor and others as re-signed, long term examples.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Still reckon we go FOS with 1. Especially true if we get 3 from West Coast. Unless North trade their pick, we know they won't take Jagga. They just don't need anymore pure mids, they need talls but if they had 2 they would take FOS IMO as they can start him on a HFF.

So if we take Jagga with 1, North take FOS with 2.
If we take FOS with 1, North take either Armstrong, maybe Lalor with 2, we still get Jagga at 3.

Its a little bit like the 2004 draft. Hawks could have taken Roughead or Buddy at 2. They took Roughhead, because they didn't think we would take Buddy, so expected him to slide. Doesn't mean they rated Roughhead higher, just that was the best way to get that combo.