2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Thought i'd include the VFL reports for Jagga & FOS in one place

I'm warming to Jagga but felt like Finns single half game report alludes to more than Jaggas 3 full game ones.

JAGGA:

ROUND 20:
24 disposals, 17 contested possessions, three rebound-50s, seven clearances
“It was great to have young Jagga Smith in Richmond colours over the past few weeks. It was the first time we got to see him in great conditions, and I thought he led the way around the contest with 17 contested possessions and seven clearances. He's got a bright future ahead of him.”​
ROUND 18
27 disposals, 14 contested possessions, three rebound-50s, four clearances
“Jagga, once again, got the ball in and under and led the team with 14 contested possessions. I’ve spoken to Jagga about taking the game on a little bit more and driving his legs and getting the ball forward. He knows that this is an area that he wants to focus on, and I'm sure he'll get to work on that.”​
ROUND 17
31 disposals, 18 contested possessions, five marks, six rebound-50s, three inside-50s, three tackles, eight clearances
“It was his first game at the level, and he certainly did not look out of place. He amassed 18 contested possessions from his 31 disposals on the night and had eight clearances. It was a tough game to mark him on, but a great start in Richmond colours.”​

FINN:

Round 20 (12 disposals, 83% disposal efficiency, two goals)
“I was really excited by Finn's game. He looked a class above the level. The really impressive thing from Finn was the fact that he probably could have thrown the towel in after a really heavy knock in the first quarter that reduced his time up the ground and around the footy, but he put his hand up to stay out on the field for the team and just looked really classy with ball in hand, made some really good decisions, and showed his lateral movement and strength in contest. Really exciting to see him step up and match it with senior players at VFL level.”​

Reactions: 10 users
No but i were at that Punt Road game live too and it is what sold me on FOS

ive seen the class first hand as well.

I get it. I want him.

but he's averaged 13 disposals a game across all levels in his top age draft year.

the excuse offered is 'hes not fully fit'

again, I would counter; 'hes half a dozen games in, and billed as the classiest best player in the land, at what point does he become fit and offer up the 30 disposal 3 goal game that all pick No.1's do in their top age year'

if he does that in the next two Coates finals, I would probably start agreeing.

he only kicked 1 goal from 8 Coates games bottom age, fully fit.

He hasn't produced the evidence he is the blue chip goal kicking mid people are expecting.

yes, the visuals are undoubtably there. ive seen it. but the evidence is largely in 2022.

im big on trajectories and the trajectory doesn't say No.1 to me.

he could quite realistically be the 20 classy disposal mid, who we'd all love to watch.

but it is certainly a rich, interesting and respectful debate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
What's the risk with FOS? That his badly broken finger will be chronic? That his corkie will be chronic?

What if someone snaps Jagga's collarbone this week? Does that change things?

done

we'll watch the draft, and I'll have them poured during Norfs think time.

see if you can get Rooster Anejo

What Norf does will shape the top-10. I think they'll find it tough to get a buyer for pick 2. They want a tall. Trainor has concussion issues and could seriously slide. Do they emulate GWS with Cadman and reach for Armstrong? Twomey saying some clubs have him around the top 5 so maybe not such a stretch.

Do they add Jagga to their list of early pick sub-6ft mids (McKercher, Wardlaw, Phillips) or do they go for a bigger body like Lalor, Langford or Smillie?

If Armstrong kicks another bag in the next fortnight he comes into the frame I reckon. Unless we take Jagga at 1, then Norf swoops on FOS at 2.

A stab at the first round (with us getting 9 & 10 for Shai, trading 10 and Bakes for 3; getting 6 & 12 for Rioli with something going back to GC; and getting Brisbane's first with late picks):

1. RIC - FOS
2. Bris - Ashcroft
3. Norf - Armstrong
4. RIC - Jagga
5. Ade - Draper
6. GC - Lombard
7. Mel - Langford/Lalor/Reid
8. RIC - Lalor/Langford/Reid
9. St K - Reid/Lalor/Langford
10. St K - Smillie
11. Ess - Shanahan
12. RIC - Berry
13. WC - Allan
14. Ess - Kako
15. Car - Travaglia
16. RIC - Lindsay
17. WC (via Hawks for Barrass) - Dodson
18. RIC - J, Whitlock
19. GWS - Hotton
20. Dogs (via Geelong for Smith) - Trainor
21. Freo - Davis
22. Syd - Tauru
23. Syd - Dattoli
24. Coll (via GC for Noble) - M. Whitlock

Could be the only ones I get right are the f/son and academy kids. We might go Tauru at 16 instead of Lindsay if we already have three mids.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
What's the risk with FOS? That his badly broken finger will be chronic? That his corkie will be chronic?

I dont think hes an 18 yo crock

I think evidence suggests he's that 16 classy disposals AFL player.

its not a big risk. I love those players.

ive argued consistently that I want Jagga at 1 because he carries zero risk: I think he will get the contested ball going toward Richmond goal 20 times a game for 15 years

Reactions: 4 users

What Norf does will shape the top-10. I think they'll find it tough to get a buyer for pick 2. They want a tall. Trainor has concussion issues and could seriously slide. Do they emulate GWS with Cadman and reach for Armstrong? Twomey saying some clubs have him around the top 5 so maybe not such a stretch.

Do they add Jagga to their list of early pick sub-6ft mids (McKercher, Wardlaw, Phillips) or do they go for a bigger body like Lalor, Langford or Smillie?

If Armstrong kicks another bag in the next fortnight he comes into the frame I reckon. Unless we take Jagga at 1, then Norf swoops on FOS at 2.

A stab at the first round (with us getting 9 & 10 for Shai, trading 10 and Bakes for 3; getting 6 & 12 for Rioli with something going back to GC; and getting Brisbane's first with late picks):

1. RIC - FOS
2. Bris - Ashcroft
3. Norf - Armstrong
4. RIC - Jagga
5. Ade - Draper
6. GC - Lombard
7. Mel - Langford/Lalor/Reid
8. RIC - Lalor/Langford/Reid
9. St K - Reid/Lalor/Langford
10. St K - Smillie
11. Ess - Shanahan
12. RIC - Berry
13. WC - Allan
14. Ess - Kako
15. Car - Travaglia
16. RIC - Lindsay
17. WC (via Hawks for Barrass) - Dodson
18. RIC - J, Whitlock
19. GWS - Hotton
20. Dogs (via Geelong for Smith) - Trainor
21. Freo - Davis
22. Syd - Tauru
23. Syd - Dattoli
24. Coll (via GC for Noble) - M. Whitlock

Could be the only ones I get right are the f/son and academy kids. We might go Tauru at 16 instead of Lindsay if we already have three mids.

im utterly happy with any scenario where jagga Smith and JoeBerry play for Richmond .

you could throw in josh smilie and SSP Quentin narkle and id still be over the moon

where do I sign

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
ive seen the class first hand as well.

I get it. I want him.

but he's averaged 13 disposals a game across all levels in his top age draft year.

the excuse offered is 'hes not fully fit'

again, I would counter; 'hes half a dozen games in, and billed as the classiest best player in the land, at what point does he become fit and offer up the 30 disposal 3 goal game'

if he does that in the next two Coates finals, I would probably start agreeing.

he only kicked 1 goal from 8 Coates games bottom age, fully fit.

He hasn't produced the evidence he is the blue chip goal kicking mid people are expecting.

yes, the visuals are undoubtably there. ive seen it. but the evidence is largely in 2022.

im big on trajectories and the trajectory doesn't say No.1 to me.

he could quite realistically be the 20 classy disposal mid, who we'd all love to watch.

but it is certainly a rich, interesting and respectful debate.

All fair points but I can't unsee what i saw🤓

Reactions: 2 users
Really? 10 of the top 13 key position goal kickers this year were recruited by their original club. Only exceptions are Hogan, Cameron & Daniher. Two of those cost a fortune. Talls are a punt but with multiple Rd 1 picks one surely has to be a key forward.
If we have 6-7 picks in the first 20-22 I will be very disappointed if one of them is not a KPF. It’s such a glaring need for us.
It seems many on this site don’t rate Armstrong but there are lots elsewhere saying he is a top 10 pick for sure and even potentially top 5.
I have no idea because I don’t watch the juniors but I find it very hard to believe there isn’t one tall forward worth drafting in this pool.

Reactions: 3 users
If we have 6-7 picks in the first 20-22 I will be very disappointed if one of them is not a KPF. It’s such a glaring need for us.
It seems many on this site don’t rate Armstrong but there are lots elsewhere saying he is a top 10 pick for sure and even potentially top 5.
I have no idea because I don’t watch the juniors but I find it very hard to believe there isn’t one tall forward worth drafting in this pool.

I can't see us not taking the best KPF still there sunrise day 2, and according to most rankings, there should be the pick of 4-5 rippers

I wouldn't be against banking the best available KPF at 9 or 10.

like I think scoop said, they are generally an investment that hold value.

Reactions: 5 users
We give away some of our junk picks (say 39 41 57 and 66) which we won't use for Pick 14 which we can get a good player with, or use in another deal. Brisbane can use the junk picks to match a bid for Ashcroft.
That'd still leave Brisvegas praying that Ashcroft falls to pick 3 before they'd need to match a bid as they wouldn't have enough points without going into slight deficit on next years pick. It would also mean that Brisvegas would need to go all out deficit on next years draft to try and match any bids for that Marshall bloke in their academy.

I'm all in on the hope that with our trades coming through we might have half a dozen selections for the first round of the draft this year. Bloody amazing if it comes off, but I'm somewhat concerned we might need to add some sweetener value to other clubs to facilitate these trades. By dumping all, or near all of our later picks into Brisvegas we'll lack working room.
I'm also of the belief that even with a massive pillage of the first round of the draft, we should be seriously looking at 9 or 10 draftees this year if we are serious about going the full rebuild mode and then probably another 4 or 5 selections for next years draft.
Do we go 6 first rounders n then trawl hopefully through the rookie n pre season scrap bins to try n find another 3 or 4 hopefuls.
Or do we go all 9 or 10 picks inside the top 50 picks with 5 of them being first rounders.

Reactions: 1 user
Trainor has concussion issues and could seriously slide

I were at the Coates games on the weekend and I noticed Luke Trainor did not appear after half time, I didn't see him come off, has it been reported that it was another concussion??

I wasn't aware trainor had a concussion history.

I think its only a matter of time before they baseline MRI 18yo's brains upon signing a contract, with their lawyer present.

they might even start doing it at draft combine

im utterly happy with any scenario where jagga Smith and JoeBerry play for Richmond .

you could throw in josh smilie and SSP Quentin narkle and id still be over the moon

where do I sign
I've got us with FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Berry. I wouldn't care who else we got if we got those four. And the beauty is not only is it realistic, we're also likely to get two more from the likes of Lindsay/Tauru/Whitlocks/Hotton/Sims etc.

I might have to bring champagne over.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I've got us with FOS, Jagga, Lalor, Berry. I wouldn't care who else we got if we got those four. And the beauty is not only is it realistic, we're also likely to get two more from the likes of Lindsay/Tauru/Whitlocks/Hotton/Sims etc.

I might have to bring champagne over.

wouldn't be the first time ive dropped a little bubbly depth charge in a heroin margarita

sounds like we've got an internet date?

• Love
I were at the Coates games on the weekend and I noticed Luke Trainor did not appear after half time, I didn't see him come off, has it been reported that it was another concussion??
I don't know about the weekend but pretty sure I read he has concussion issues.

I don't know about the weekend but pretty sure I read he has concussion issues.
There was an article somewhere that he was potentially going into concussion protocols following a knock on the weekend. can't recall where I read it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thought i'd include the VFL reports for Jagga & FOS in one place

I'm warming to Jagga but felt like Finns single half game report alludes to more than Jaggas 3 full game ones.

JAGGA:

ROUND 20:
24 disposals, 17 contested possessions, three rebound-50s, seven clearances
“It was great to have young Jagga Smith in Richmond colours over the past few weeks. It was the first time we got to see him in great conditions, and I thought he led the way around the contest with 17 contested possessions and seven clearances. He's got a bright future ahead of him.”​
ROUND 18
27 disposals, 14 contested possessions, three rebound-50s, four clearances
“Jagga, once again, got the ball in and under and led the team with 14 contested possessions. I’ve spoken to Jagga about taking the game on a little bit more and driving his legs and getting the ball forward. He knows that this is an area that he wants to focus on, and I'm sure he'll get to work on that.”​
ROUND 17
31 disposals, 18 contested possessions, five marks, six rebound-50s, three inside-50s, three tackles, eight clearances
“It was his first game at the level, and he certainly did not look out of place. He amassed 18 contested possessions from his 31 disposals on the night and had eight clearances. It was a tough game to mark him on, but a great start in Richmond colours.”​

FINN:

Round 20 (12 disposals, 83% disposal efficiency, two goals)
“I was really excited by Finn's game. He looked a class above the level. The really impressive thing from Finn was the fact that he probably could have thrown the towel in after a really heavy knock in the first quarter that reduced his time up the ground and around the footy, but he put his hand up to stay out on the field for the team and just looked really classy with ball in hand, made some really good decisions, and showed his lateral movement and strength in contest. Really exciting to see him step up and match it with senior players at VFL level.”​
We know what Morro thinks. Compare 'didn't look out of place' to 'looked a class above the level'.

Reactions: 4 users
I think we are getting too focused on the first pick. our rise up the ladder will be determined by the picks we take after pick 10.
If we nail the picks from 10 to 30 we will be assured of a rise up the ladder.

We know what Morro thinks. Compare 'didn't look out of place' to 'looked a class above the level'.
Yep. Given he uses "played above the level" to insinuate a player is ready for AFL, you get what an endorsement "class above the level" is for a 12 touch, 50% TOG, 17 year old is.