2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

How the hell do you work that out Harry?
I was commenting on JR82's suggestion that the closest he could work out to equal points value was for us to trade the value of picks 39 - 41- 50 = 1131 points for Brisveags pick 14 which was valued at 1161 points. Firstly Brisvegas would be dropping 30 points value on the deal and secondly they still need at least 2000 points to get Ashcroft if we don't bid at 1. They only carry about 300 points worth of value without the pick 14 so the proposed pick swap would still leave them well short of what they need at around 1450 points.
yes - but they will be much shorter if we bid. about 500 points shorter. we can throw them another late pick to go with it. Can't see how 14 isn't ours.

Reactions: 1 user
Prefer Lalor or Draper to Langford, also hope we get Reid - probably the best decision maker in the draft with arguably the best disposal. Two attributes we desperately need more of.
Watching Reids highlights, I was surprised with how many over the head, look away handballs he did.
Not sure you get away with that in the AFL

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
While we have fun working out who is going at pick 1, the first big twist in this draft could happen as early as pick 2.

There are real concerns about the lad Trainor and his history of head knocks. He seems an ideal fit for the Kangaroos, but what if they deem him too great of a risk?

Do they go the next-best player ... or do they split the pick knowing they can probably get a quality tall deeper into the draft? Could it even be that Trainor now drops like a stone, with North a chance to get him much later than expected?

The whole top end of the draft hinges on the risk-reward assessment of Trainor by North.

If I were North, I'd be getting the hell out of pick 2.
Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s Armstrong.

Reactions: 2 users
@caesar mentioned the Flying Viking Alix Tauru on the weekend.

Reckon this guy will come with a bullet in the media as we get closer to the draft.

Had a tough injury run - missed most of last year and then near half this year, but now getting a run at it and showing what he can do.

Gippsland have swung him forward lately with success. He's also a bit of an athletic freak, huge leap, competes well, very good second efforts, tackling etc.

Could end up anywhere at AFL level. Forward, back, wing etc.

At 193cm is an exciting prospect. Could be a real unicorn physically. Shame Gippsland got rolled on the weekend so no more Coates footy.

Would rather us draft The Viking than Armstrong TBH. Just suits modern football better.

Where will he go draft night? Reckon defo top 20, but suspect a few clubs might be enticed with him so could go as high as 12 or so.

Best thing if we draft him we can all wear Viking hats to the match. Much more intimidating than those soft Wizard hats.

See Twomey has The Flying Viking going in the top 10 now.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally think you are better off trading into key forwards once they show a bit. Like ruckman.

Unless there is a standout star. Do not think this year has a standout star.
I’d certainly be taking one and I hope we do. Trading for a kpf has a high premium imo.

Reactions: 2 users
For me a small foward has to have smarts and speed
berry has the smarts but not too sure about his speed

I want to see his combine numbers before i can say he will be an elite small foward
lack of speed will be harder to cover at AFL level

Alright. I've watched more highlights vids than Greg Miller. This is my view on the earlier picks.

At 1 I'm taking FOS over Jagga. I've been toying with this for a while. Love Jagga's volume but I reckon FOS, off a lower base, presents a better proposition ( medical advice aside).

If we get 3 I'm going Jagga there. If Jagga goes at 2 I'm going Draper.

Who knows where we land next but I'm not going Langford in top 10. He looks slow and underskilled to me. He's also a bigger guy that I think struggles to break tackles at U18 level let alone against bigger bodies at AFL level.

Next I'd be going Lalor if he's available. Not sure if he's Dusty but he's that mould and is an amazing combo with FOS and Jagga. His recent injury may help us. Subject to medical advice those are my 3 preferred options and if we can swing 1, 3 and 9 or 10 it may be on the table.

The problem here is jagga wont be there at 3.

If rfc dont take him, after the initial collective gasp, theres 16 clubs on the phone to norf trying to get pick 2

But i think its a pretty redundant hypothetical, if thats even possible?

Good shout, Surely his nickname is large.

Wouldnt it be extra-large?

Would be great if he has little brothers; a dursma type family.

We could have 2XL and 3XL running around

• Haha
yes - but they will be much shorter if we bid. about 500 points shorter. we can throw them another late pick to go with it. Can't see how 14 isn't ours.
Getting pick 14 or whatever it actually ends up being is the easiest thing to do. But what is the actual cost for us of getting that pick?
According to the comments n thoughts of some ( and as you've posted also ) this return pick from Brisvegas is the be all and end all of the deal. I'm saying at the price required we're simply ripping ourselves off badly so there needs to be some big sweeteners for us in the deal somewhere.

I’d certainly be taking one and I hope we do. Trading for a kpf has a high premium imo.
After the initial bunch of mids, I'd be more than happy to grab 2 or 3 of the best genuine key forward prospects from around the 10 to 25 draft mark. Keep the best one for ourselves after they've developed up a bit n trade out whatever's left at premium value simply because key forwards are so hard to find.

Personally think you are better off trading into key forwards once they show a bit. Like ruckman.

Unless there is a standout star. Do not think this year has a standout star.
Really? 10 of the top 13 key position goal kickers this year were recruited by their original club. Only exceptions are Hogan, Cameron & Daniher. Two of those cost a fortune. Talls are a punt but with multiple Rd 1 picks one surely has to be a key forward.

Reactions: 8 users
The problem here is jagga wont be there at 3.

If rfc dont take him, after the initial collective gasp, theres 16 clubs on the phone to norf trying to get pick 2

But i think its a pretty redundant hypothetical, if thats even possible?
Which clubs will have the collateral to trade up? No one will be able to offer Norf a better deal than we could, unless it's St Kilda with 7 and 8, and they won't do that. We could potentially get pick 2 for something like 6 & 14, maybe even 6 & 20 or 9 & 14 if Norf are a 'motivated seller'.