2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

On his deathbed Voltaire was asked by the priest "Do you renounce Satan?" He replied "This is no time to be making new enemies."

We're no threat to them; they're no threat to us. Brisbane and RFC are currently neutral. And probably allies this year.

The AFL has incentivised us to only bid on a player at #1 if we are keeping him. So it's not corrupt to not bid on Ashcroft.

According to Twomey, TM- Norfs need about 2900 points for Ashcroft and Marshall. But here's the thing - if we don't bid on Ashcroft we effectively give them 362 points. That's a lotta points to give to our very dear friends at Brisbane.

We have draft picks that will cover 2100 points from 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73, none of which we're using.

Their pick say #14 is worth 1116 points. So It will cost them next year's first rounder and #14 this year to get our points this year.

If you were Brisbane would you do that business? I would. Remember, we're spoony as *smile* and no threat to anybody. If you wouldn't do the business with RFC who would you do business with? You're looking for an extra 362 points now because RFC is bidding on Ashcroft. And maybe even Marshall.

Is this the time for Brisbane to be making new enemies? Or doing peaceful business with harmless spooners?
I've already been saying the same thing ( but nowhere near as eloquently ) for the last few days Dyer'ere, yet some posters wonder why I'm having a whinge.

Doesn't answer the question I posted that you just replied too though. What does Twomey think we're giving up to obtain Brisvegas's first pick. His draft speculation shows us still retaining all of our later picks along with the pick 14 from Brissie. Simply doesn't compute, even without the benefit of AI.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt we'd be giving up all of those picks for 1 pick this yr & next, we'd be looking to flip some of those into next yrs draft as well.
14 is 1161 pts, 39, 41, 50 is 1131 pts. that's closest i can get with pts with any of our current picks. Which gives us, based of Twomey's prediction, 1, 6, 9, 10, 14, 17, 21, 29, 31, 33,
The history of these story of trades tells us we will give the Lions a few hundred more points than they give us back.
But we don't need points so they are irrelevant to us. We will happily give up 4 or 5 picks in the 30s, 40s and 50s for a top 15 pick.

Reactions: 2 users
I doubt we'd be giving up all of those picks for 1 pick this yr & next, we'd be looking to flip some of those into next yrs draft as well.
Giving up all those picks of ours would get us Brisvegas first pick this year and next, so there's already a flip into next years draft.
14 is 1161 pts, 39, 41, 50 is 1131 pts. that's closest i can get with pts with any of our current picks.
But this on it's own would be a completely pointless swap for Brisvegas as it would leave them in exactly the same position as they are right now. Not anywhere near enough points to match a bid for Ashcroft and hanging by their balls if they also want to consider that Marshall academy kid for a bit later in the draft.

While we have fun working out who is going at pick 1, the first big twist in this draft could happen as early as pick 2.

There are real concerns about the lad Trainor and his history of head knocks. He seems an ideal fit for the Kangaroos, but what if they deem him too great of a risk?

Do they go the next-best player ... or do they split the pick knowing they can probably get a quality tall deeper into the draft? Could it even be that Trainor now drops like a stone, with North a chance to get him much later than expected?

The whole top end of the draft hinges on the risk-reward assessment of Trainor by North.

If I were North, I'd be getting the hell out of pick 2.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
While we have fun working out who is going at pick 1, the first big twist in this draft could happen as early as pick 2.

There are real concerns about the lad Trainor and his history of head knocks. He seems an ideal fit for the Kangaroos, but what if they deem him too great of a risk?

Do they go the next-best player ... or do they split the pick knowing they can probably get a quality tall deeper into the draft? Could it even be that Trainor now drops like a stone, with North a chance to get him much later than expected?

The whole top end of the draft hinges on the risk-reward assessment of Trainor by North.

If I were North, I'd be getting the hell out of pick 2.
The concerns on Trainor are more than real and far more serious than is being let on. As it stands I would say he’s more likely to be medically retired than playing 50 games.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
14 is 1161 pts, 39, 41, 50 is 1131 pts. that's closest i can get with pts with any of our current picks. Which gives us, based of Twomey's prediction, 1, 6, 9, 10, 14, 17, 21, 29, 31, 33, 57
Those picks they listed are wrong.

Watching SA v WA again.
Still impressed with Urquart...will be a great late pick mid. Very balanced and skilled. Could be anything. Keen to get him with a 20s pick. Great value.
Draper of course excellent.
Gerreyn reads the play well..worth a later pick on a ruck forward.
Allen great. Curtin of WA a solid key back...looks very good.
There is plenty there.
M Champion a dynamic small forward.
Smart of SA will be very solid..a high pick next year.

Last edited:
Giving up all those picks of ours would get us Brisvegas first pick this year and next, so there's already a flip into next years draft.

But this on it's own would be a completely pointless swap for Brisvegas as it would leave them in exactly the same position as they are right now. Not anywhere near enough points to match a bid for Ashcroft and hanging by their balls if they also want to consider that Marshall academy kid for a bit later in the draft.
It's not pointless if we guarantee them we won't bid.

The more I think about it the more I want Joe Berry at 9. There’s something special about him. In the Nathan Brown kind of mould. Must get even if we take him earlier than most expect

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Surely we would take a key forward
Personally think you are better off trading into key forwards once they show a bit. Like ruckman.

Unless there is a standout star. Do not think this year has a standout star.

How the hell do you work that out Harry?
I was commenting on JR82's suggestion that the closest he could work out to equal points value was for us to trade the value of picks 39 - 41- 50 = 1131 points for Brisveags pick 14 which was valued at 1161 points. Firstly Brisvegas would be dropping 30 points value on the deal and secondly they still need at least 2000 points to get Ashcroft if we don't bid at 1. They only carry about 300 points worth of value without the pick 14 so the proposed pick swap would still leave them well short of what they need at around 1450 points.

It’s a deep draft, if we give them enough points for the pick and don’t bid at 1, they get a pick back in the 30’s.

Worth doing for everyone.

The concerns on Trainor are more than real and far more serious than is being let on. As it stands I would say he’s more likely to be medically retired than playing 50 games.
Given that knowledge, Ghost, what would you do with pick 2 if you were in North's shoes?

Alright. I've watched more highlights vids than Greg Miller. This is my view on the earlier picks.

At 1 I'm taking FOS over Jagga. I've been toying with this for a while. Love Jagga's volume but I reckon FOS, off a lower base, presents a better proposition ( medical advice aside).

If we get 3 I'm going Jagga there. If Jagga goes at 2 I'm going Draper.

Who knows where we land next but I'm not going Langford in top 10. He looks slow and underskilled to me. He's also a bigger guy that I think struggles to break tackles at U18 level let alone against bigger bodies at AFL level.

Next I'd be going Lalor if he's available. Not sure if he's Dusty but he's that mould and is an amazing combo with FOS and Jagga. His recent injury may help us. Subject to medical advice those are my 3 preferred options and if we can swing 1, 3 and 9 or 10 it may be on the table.

Reactions: 9 users