2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Another mini-series length excerpt of Mick's game on the weekend.

Yet another classy, instinctive, clean, impactful game.

One thing - You've got to admire his mental strength to keep performing like this after a very long year. From Coates to Champs to VFL to Coates again and finals. Been a long year but just keeps on keeping on.

Just moves so well at stoppage. Excellent decision maker too. A bit Shedda like.

Reactions: 2 users
Imagine Lindsey as the outlet on the wing.
Dambrosio type.
Gets it out wide and then delivers it forward or back into the corridor.

He wasnt super clean in the champs, with some fumbles but at 10-12 he'll be a great get

He might start on the outside, probably half back. But reckon he will end up a midfielder Dell Boy.

Already impacting there.

Small sample size but schools Langford in the quarter or so on each other in his last match before a season ending injury.

Has nice speed, a step and agility more than say Mopey Langford. Bit of Ed Richards about him.

Reactions: 4 users

One thing - You've got to admire his mental strength to keep performing like this after a very long year. From Coates to Champs to VFL to Coates again and finals. Been a long year but just keeps on keeping on.

One of the things I like about his highlight reels is what you don’t see as much as what you do. You don’t see him get flustered, you don’t see dump kicks and you don’t see a lot of easy cheap possessions.

How could you not want him in a Richmond jumper?

A poster made a great point a few pages ago (apologies as I don’t recall who and I’m far too lazy to go back and find it) about drafting a complimentary combination of players and not just the individual. Well if you were a midfielder of any note how could you not want to play alongside Jagga. He’s going to give you plenty of chances to shine.

Not sure who we’re going to get and at what pick but this kid looks to have a great career ahead of him and I wouldn’t be disappointed if it was at Richmond.

Some would say it’s hard to get this draft wrong but I reckon it’s equally as hard to get it absolutely right.

Glad I’m not a recruiter

Reactions: 7 users
Spot on Gresy Trays. Always fronting up, always performing always getting the ball. There's a collection at a stoppage in the first 20 seconds when he evades and brings it back to the corridor that is everything i want in a mid. I have him at 1 right now, to big a body of work to ignore.
Yeh, the front and centre goal was nice too. He's a very instinctive but disciplined footballer.

Not many turnovers in there for a guy that wins a lot of contested possession.

Gun. Getting Smith/FOS/Lalor would be a dream.

Impressive 27D 8Clearances game by Langford
Good to see him running on linking up play

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
He might start on the outside, probably half back. But reckon he will end up a midfielder Dell Boy.

Already impacting there.

Small sample size but schools Langford in the quarter or so on each other in his last match before a season ending injury.

Has nice speed, a step and agility more than say Mopey Langford. Bit of Ed Richards about him.
I hope we take Lindsay with any pick after 10.

Reactions: 5 users

Amazing how he always seems to have more time than everyone else. Finds space where there is no space. Almost Knights-like.

I'm all in.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeh, the front and centre goal was nice too. He's a very instinctive but disciplined footballer.

Not many turnovers in there for a guy that wins a lot of contested possession.

Gun. Getting Smith/FOS/Lalor would be a dream.
The front and centre goal editing doesn't do him justice, he actually makes the kick to Dowling on the 50 and pushes to the front and centre, so that entire piece of play is 15 seconds. Would have liked to see it play as one. He basically kicks from 65 to the lead up, pushes to the very next contest and crumbs the goal.
Exactly what we lack in our midfield, the ability to get form contest to contest. Spread. The Lachie Neale call by @spook is a pretty good one, I think he is more Neale than Butters, not as brutal and might spread better.

Reactions: 6 users
On his deathbed Voltaire was asked by the priest "Do you renounce Satan?" He replied "This is no time to be making new enemies."

We're no threat to them; they're no threat to us. Brisbane and RFC are currently neutral. And probably allies this year.

The AFL has incentivised us to only bid on a player at #1 if we are keeping him. So it's not corrupt to not bid on Ashcroft.

According to Twomey, TM- Norfs need about 2900 points for Ashcroft and Marshall. But here's the thing - if we don't bid on Ashcroft we effectively give them 362 points. That's a lotta points to give to our very dear friends at Brisbane.

We have draft picks that will cover 2100 points from 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73, none of which we're using.

Their pick say #14 is worth 1116 points. So It will cost them next year's first rounder and #14 this year to get our points this year.

If you were Brisbane would you do that business? I would. Remember, we're spoony as *smile* and no threat to anybody. If you wouldn't do the business with RFC who would you do business with? You're looking for an extra 362 points now because RFC is bidding on Ashcroft. And maybe even Marshall.

Is this the time for Brisbane to be making new enemies? Or doing peaceful business with harmless spooners?
Yep.

Brisbane will be all over us. We don’t have to provide them with enough points on their own to do the deal, they also have later picks for instance, but they would definitely be a lot closer by doing business with us not that.

I can’t see a downside for us unless we intended to use those picks. Sure it makes Brisbane a bit stronger but getting pick 14 makes us a little stronger as well.

I know most of our PRE junior watchers think their own *smile* smells best and are not interested in media driven discussion on the draft but this 30 minute episode of 'Gettable" I found very good, and a fair bit of Richmond content, even with Matty Clarke as the special guest and questions on Baker, Graham, Shai and the possibility of splitting pick 3.
Brisbane's pick 14, many clubs after it especially if it remains pick 14 but Richmond in best position to secure.
Murphy Reid, highest football IQ in the draft.
The rise and rise of the Flying Viking another 2 goal 2 on the weekend from 16 possessions.
Harry Armstrong in top 5 mix now? rise up the draft board similar to Cadman's in his draft year.
Already considered a deep draft at the start of the year it just keeps getting deeper.
Originally just considered a midfielders draft quite a few talls have risen up the boards.

West Coast more than willing to part with pick 3 for a pick in return.

Odds on Pick 3 is on the cards as part of the Baker trade.

And some think he will last until pick 6.

No chance. Zero.

Won’t last past pick 3.

Reactions: 8 users
Spot on Gresy Trays. Always fronting up, always performing always getting the ball. There's a collection at a stoppage in the first 20 seconds when he evades and brings it back to the corridor that is everything i want in a mid. I have him at 1 right now, to big a body of work to ignore.
Yep that move stood out like dogs balls. Screamed elite midfielder.

Reactions: 1 user
On his deathbed Voltaire was asked by the priest "Do you renounce Satan?" He replied "This is no time to be making new enemies."

We're no threat to them; they're no threat to us. Brisbane and RFC are currently neutral. And probably allies this year.

The AFL has incentivised us to only bid on a player at #1 if we are keeping him. So it's not corrupt to not bid on Ashcroft.

According to Twomey, TM- Norfs need about 2900 points for Ashcroft and Marshall. But here's the thing - if we don't bid on Ashcroft we effectively give them 362 points. That's a lotta points to give to our very dear friends at Brisbane.

We have draft picks that will cover 2100 points from 29, 39, 41, 47, 57, 66, 73, none of which we're using.

Their pick say #14 is worth 1116 points. So It will cost them next year's first rounder and #14 this year to get our points this year.

If you were Brisbane would you do that business? I would. Remember, we're spoony as *smile* and no threat to anybody. If you wouldn't do the business with RFC who would you do business with? You're looking for an extra 362 points now because RFC is bidding on Ashcroft. And maybe even Marshall.

Is this the time for Brisbane to be making new enemies? Or doing peaceful business with harmless spooners?
I doubt we'd be giving up all of those picks for 1 pick this yr & next, we'd be looking to flip some of those into next yrs draft as well.
14 is 1161 pts, 39, 41, 50 is 1131 pts. that's closest i can get with pts with any of our current picks. Which gives us, based of Twomey's prediction, 1, 6, 9, 10, 14, 17, 21, 29, 31, 33, 57

Last edited:
Bully telling Whiskas the Pussy that "your brother's a *smile*"
Great man Bully. I remember one night after a few shandys across the road after the game, we ran into Bully strolling through the car parks. Stopped and chatted delightfully to us for 5 mins. And anyone who *smile* slapped Bhudda Hocking....awe.

Prefer Lalor or Draper to Langford, also hope we get Reid - probably the best decision maker in the draft with arguably the best disposal. Two attributes we desperately need more of.

Reactions: 6 users
Yep.

Brisbane will be all over us. We don’t have to provide them with enough points on their own to do the deal, they also have later picks for instance, but they would definitely be a lot closer by doing business with us not that.

I can’t see a downside for us unless we intended to use those picks. Sure it makes Brisbane a bit stronger but getting pick 14 makes us a little stronger as well.
As above us doing business with Bris is a win/win. As far as contention goes we are not a threat to them & it's a win/win deal for both Clubs. All else fails the "handshake" should be what gets it over the line.