2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Why would that matter,you are recruiting for 12 years ,not 12 weeks .
Is that the recruitment timeline? Average careers are how many years?

I imagine we are recruiting for at least 5-8 years, those being likely the most productive years for a player.

Ok, so Lalor might slip. No need to trade for pick 2.

1 - FOS
3 - Jagga (or Draper if Jagga goes at 2)
6 - Lalor
10 - Berry
I can't sign off on FOS and Lalor, you can risk one but not both.

I'd take Reid at 6. FOS, Jagga & Reid or Jagga, FOS, Reid or Jagga, Draper, Reid.

I think Jagga, Draper, Lalor is a great midfield mix by the way.

Reactions: 7 users

I'd take Reid at 6. FOS, Jagga & Reid or Jagga, FOS, Reid or Jagga, Draper, Reid.

Jagga, Draper and Langford could be the ultimate mix of speed, size and class while being lower risk then some of the other combos.

Reactions: 5 users
Well then you could maybe possibly add in Wet Coke n the Frockers and then after that who knows? Maybe the Moggies need some help for Sniff, or someone want to get hold of a couple of reasonable draft picks this year that they'll swap next years for or perhaps even a disgruntled young player. Every club in the comp will be trying to work out a deal for player trades or draft picks, same as every year. Yet you mindlessly rabbit on about us providing all the points value Brisvegas need to get Ashcroft for their first pick. That's a *smile* deal for us and there needs to be some sweeteners in there as I've said to you over and over. Then all you do is come back with this rubbish.
Cool down pops.

I've explained it, other posters have explained it. The reason for trading 3rd round picks to get a 1st round pick.

In your rant youve named 3 clubs who might want picks
Cats likely to trade 16 for Smith. But it goes to the dogs. How do we get value? Unlikely to be involved.
WC and Freo are the same, we're likely trading players for their firsts. We might use later picks to help the trade.
But we have 3rd and 4th round picks to swap with a club that wants to trade to get points. The 2 clubs in that window this year are Lions and Suns.
And the Suns are trading their picks for players.

Less of the head wobble.
You can disagree so lets leave it at that

Reactions: 1 user
I am a big Joe Berry fan and I hope we get him but those comparisons are a bit skewed to be fair. Langford played a lot more midfield and FOS and Lalor were obviously far from fit and lacking match practice.

yes.

but will Joe berry kick 50 goals a year at AFL level (his averages suggest he kicks over 2 goals a game at every level he plays),

while FOS and Lalor are unfit and lacking match practice?

do you want a mid who kick goals, or a goal kicker who runs in the middle?

ideally both.

I see JoeBerry as a Stevie J/ Toby Greene type; kicks goals and runs through the middle when you need some razzle.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah hopefully.
End of 2016 couldn't see us winning 3 flags.
Couldn't really see Colonwood winning last years flag by somehow falling over the line by a couple of points game after game last year either.
Couldn't see the Moggies playing finals year after year n virtually never dropping out of contention for the last 10 or 15 years, or finally winning another flag two years ago then being right up the front of this years flag hunt again.
As long as its not the cats.

Is that the recruitment timeline? Average careers are how many years?

I imagine we are recruiting for at least 5-8 years, those being likely the most productive years for a player.
We are talking about Lalor and early picks ,not all recruits in general .
You would want all picks to have 12 years of AFL,but that doesn't happen,,but you want early picks to be at least a 12 year player

Why not take Lalor and Fos if we can do that,they are the best 2 player's in the draft .
We aren't going to get everything we want out of this draft ,so we get it next year etc,and trade in player's

everyone on here is smitten with the concept of goal kicking mids, me included

if you look at this years champs data, which is the most relevant form we have

Lalor kicked 5/5
Fos kicked 2/5
Langford kicked 1/4
jagga kicked 2/6

and here's the data driven elephant in the room .....

Joeberry kicked 9/4, and averaged more possessions than Lalor or FOS.

If its goals you want, and they all count for 6 points no matter who kicks 'em, what they weigh, or their fend-off count.

JoeBerry is clearly your man, with Sam Lalor a distant 2nd

we must draft JoeBerry
Small sample size. What about across the season?

yes.

but will Joe berry kick 50 goals a year at AFL level (his averages suggest he kicks over 2 goals a game at every level he plays),
That's the biggest projection I've seen on this thread. Huge call. If true, makes him a top 4 pick and in the mix for pick 1.

Cool down pops.

I've explained it, other posters have explained it. The reason for trading 3rd round picks to get a 1st round pick.

In your rant youve named 3 clubs who might want picks
Cats likely to trade 16 for Smith. But it goes to the dogs. How do we get value? Unlikely to be involved.
WC and Freo are the same, we're likely trading players for their firsts. We might use later picks to help the trade.
But we have 3rd and 4th round picks to swap with a club that wants to trade to get points. The 2 clubs in that window this year are Lions and Suns.
And the Suns are trading their picks for players.

Less of the head wobble.
You can disagree so lets leave it at that
There is a lot of water to go under the bridge but likely that Essendon, Carlton, Adelaide and even West Coast might need points. We won’t know until the end of the trade period

Why not take Lalor and Fos if we can do that,they are the best 2 player's in the draft .
Manage your risk. Both have struggled to play games and dominate at Coates level or the champs. I'd risk one but not both.

And I'd take Lalor at 6, that's the risk I'd look at.

Reactions: 1 users
I watched the first half. He felt for his left hammy a couple of times in the first quarter. He went to the bench twice in the first half of the second quarter and to full-forward when he came back on. Didn't move far from the goal square.

Hannaford and big Floyd the ones to impress from what I saw.
Hannaford kicked 6 on the weekend, after 5 last week.
Something like 17 in the last 5 games.
Very good agility and great hands for a little fella.
But i read hasnt been nominated for the combine testing. Think he will.
This weeks prelim will be good

Reactions: 3 users
Small sample size. What about across the season?

Havnt got that data but pretty sure Berry goes significantly further ahead on goals/game the bigger the sample

Personally i think champs is the best data, because theres a dozen AFL standard player on the opposition, whereas Coates there might be 2-3

This is Twomey's draft hand but remember this is still without Graham and Baker
We could break the world record in draft picks.
They will bring in a rule next year, no more then 3 1st rounders Screenshot_20240911_120452_Messages.jpg

That's the biggest projection I've seen on this thread. Huge call. If true, makes him a top 4 pick and in the mix for pick 1.

Like i said, i know im flying solo, but Id call berry at 2 if i was picking.

Goals win games.

He averages >2 goals a game across all games,
Its not unrealistic to expect that at AFL level.

Nick watson is showing if you regulalry kick multiple goals against the best 18yos, youlle regularly kick multiple goals (scores early) against 25yos

Like i said, i know im flying solo, but Id call berry at 2 if i was picking.

Goals win games.

He averages >2 goals a game across all games,
Its not unrealistic to expect that at AFL level.

Nick watson is showing if you regulalry kick multiple goals against the best 18yos, youlle regularly kick multiple goals (scores early) against 25yos
Definitely about right,actually kicking goals in coates league is quite difficult and u take this as a afl level trait.

Double agree.

Posted before, but If we like the Langford type - Much rather take Lindsay in the teens and use that higher pick on someone else - Lalor, Berry, Reid etc.

Reckon Lindsay turns out better anyway.
Imagine Lindsey as the outlet on the wing.
Dambrosio type.
Gets it out wide and then delivers it forward or back into the corridor.

He wasnt super clean in the champs, with some fumbles but at 10-12 he'll be a great get