2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Not for me.

Double agree.

Posted before, but If we like the Langford type - Much rather take Lindsay in the teens and use that higher pick on someone else - Lalor, Berry, Reid etc.

Reckon Lindsay turns out better anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Double agree.

Posted before, but If we like the Langford type - Much rather take Lindsay in the teens and use that higher pick on someone else - Lalor, Berry, Reid etc.

I really like Lindsay, but reckon hes a different beast.

I reckon the bull goal kicking mids are

Lalor 187cm 11d 5m
Allan 190cm 20d 3m
Langford 190 26d 6m

Lindsay 183 23d 7m

I reckon Lindsay and Allan have the pace to be the goal kicking, strong wingmen we all love.

the data clearly says Langford > Lalor (a critical red flag on lalor is he didn't improve from his underage champs to over age - same stats)

(champs stats)

Reactions: 1 user
everyone on here is smitten with the concept of goal kicking mids, me included

if you look at this years champs data, which is the most relevant form we have

Lalor kicked 5/5
Fos kicked 2/5
Langford kicked 1/4
jagga kicked 2/6

and here's the data driven elephant in the room .....

Joeberry kicked 9/4, and averaged more possessions than Lalor or FOS.

If its goals you want, and they all count for 6 points no matter who kicks 'em, what they weigh, or their fend-off count.

JoeBerry is clearly your man, with Sam Lalor a distant 2nd

we must draft JoeBerry

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think it really matters with what number picks are in the early first round does it ?

What I mean is everyone knows Ashcroft and Lombard will go to Brisbane and GC...so don't all picks just move back 2 spots (if saints dont get first round compo), so there is no difference. IE...pick nine will now be pick 11 but still the same person they had at 9 (as all just shuffle back 2 spots) or are I missing something ?
Exactly.

It changes things a lot. If your Melbourne or Adelaide with one early pick would you risk it on someone who's body mightn't hold up the rigours of afl.
If your Richmond with a lot of early picks you can take that risk. Maybe he slides out to 9-12. In TV

Oh yeah.Give up a mid teen pick for a f1 which could end up 16 or 17(Can't bring myself to say 18th)
Agreed is we trade for their future first we want something else back maybe their future second as well or a favourable pick swap

So now we've stockpiled all of this points value ( equivalent of a pick 4 ) in order to hand Brisvegas the best young kid in the draft and in return we'll get an extra pick in the range of pick 14 to 18 which blows out to being pick 17 to 21 when all the F/S and academy picks are done. Might just as well save all the *smile* around n negotiating n hand them the picks on a silver platter.
Brisvegas need at least another 700 n possibly 1100 points to get Ashcroft using absolutely all their draft points this year, which will chew the crap out of their F1st next year if they don't work a deal. We can work a deal to top them up in exchange for next years 1st pick and thereby save us some value in our points to use for any of the other deals we'll be working on this year. Or we can hand them the necessary 2000 points they'll need for both this years first plus next years first. These picks will both be late in the first round and roughly equal to the 2000 points we give them. But then we'll have bugger all left if we need to sweeten the pot a bit with our player trade deals.
It's been pretty obvious even back in last years trade period why we stock piled all those late picks.I guess the curve ball(s) has been the trade requests of both Dan & Shai.All of a sudden we could have 4 picks that we weren't expecting.

If we end up with Brisbane's 1st.(14)
We'd get calls from the Pies/Blues/Cats/Dees.
The question is.
A).Is 14 worth more this year than say a top 10 pick next year if we choose the right club?

Reactions: 1 users

Lalor kicked 5/5
Fos kicked 2/5
Langford kicked 1/4
jagga kicked 2/6

If its goals you want, and they all count for 6 points no matter who kicks 'em, what they weigh, or their fend-off count.

we must draft JoeBerry
Interesting eZy. Maybe that says a bit about the caliber of player in this draft?
Really hope this draft isn't a bust. A lot of eggs in the basket.

Last edited:
The question is.
A).Is 14 worth more this year than say a top 10 pick next year if we choose the right club?
It’s a question that’s hard to answer as we won’t really know for years to come. You always want a premium when you trade a current pick for a future pick as the future pick can move. If Hawthorn had offer to trade it’s 2024 first round pick last year most people here would have seen that as a top 5 selection whereas it is now pick 13 and likely to fall even further.

It's been pretty obvious even back in last years trade period why we stock piled all those late picks.I guess the curve ball(s) has been the trade requests of both Dan & Shai.All of a sudden we could have 4 picks that we weren't expecting.
Yep. We did deals n stock piled all that pick value last year so that we could bolster our attack on the draft this year. The trade requests are out of left field but leave us in a position to hopefully, absolutely pillage the draft this year and shuffle some things around to get an extra slice of next years draft as well.

It’s a question that’s hard to answer as we won’t really know for years to come. You always want a premium when you trade a current pick for a future pick as the future pick can move. If Hawthorn had offer to trade it’s 2024 first round pick last year most people here would have seen that as a top 5 selection whereas it is now pick 13 and likely to fall even further.
Its a gamble but a calculated one.
If i had a choice of which club i'd say the Dees.They're a shambles both on & off the field.

The question is.
If Brisvegas win the flag it won't be pick 14. There's still heaps of time n speculation of possibilities before we actually get to trade week n draft night and every club in the comp will be having a sniff around to see what we might be willing to consider doing.

If Brisvegas win the flag it won't be pick 14. There's still heaps of time n speculation of possibilities before we actually get to trade week n draft night and every club in the comp will be having a sniff around to see what we might be willing to consider doing.
Can't see them beating gws tbh.

Lalor kicked 5/5
Fos kicked 2/5
Langford kicked 1/4
jagga kicked 2/6

we must draft JoeBerry
The other goal kicking mid who will go somewhere between pick 10-20 is Langfords partner in crime at Stingrays is Cooper Hynes.
Big powerful kid who is finishing off the year like a train

Reactions: 2 users

Lalor kicked 5/5
Fos kicked 2/5
Langford kicked 1/4
jagga kicked 2/6

we must draft JoeBerry
I am a big Joe Berry fan and I hope we get him but those comparisons are a bit skewed to be fair. Langford played a lot more midfield and FOS and Lalor were obviously far from fit and lacking match practice.

Can't see them beating gws tbh.
Yeah hopefully.
End of 2016 couldn't see us winning 3 flags.
Couldn't really see Colonwood winning last years flag by somehow falling over the line by a couple of points game after game last year either.
Couldn't see the Moggies playing finals year after year n virtually never dropping out of contention for the last 10 or 15 years, or finally winning another flag two years ago then being right up the front of this years flag hunt again.

Double agree.

This. I like Lindsay. Brilliant forward kick and a very smooth mover.