2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Picks 9 and 10 become 12 and 13 after bids on Ashcroft and Lombard and Saints getting a compo pick straight after their first
I don't think it really matters with what number picks are in the early first round does it ?

What I mean is everyone knows Ashcroft and Lombard will go to Brisbane and GC...so don't all picks just move back 2 spots (if saints dont get first round compo), so there is no difference. IE...pick nine will now be pick 11 but still the same person they had at 9 (as all just shuffle back 2 spots) or are I missing something ?

Reactions: 8 users
Hope Lalor's not another Nathan Freeman case. Doubt he'll be going top 3 after a high grade hamstring no matter how talented.
Was told it’s an 8 week injury by a club scout on Sunday. Described it as “really bad”

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
It changes things a lot. If your Melbourne or Adelaide with one early pick would you risk it on someone who's body mightn't hold up the rigours of afl.
If your Richmond with a lot of early picks you can take that risk. Maybe he slides out to 9-12.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'll preface this question by saying I know nothing about these kids, apart from a few Youtube highlights.

There seems a reluctance around Smillie. Why is that? Seems like a big bodied mid that moves well with decent skills. Tom Green Type?

They dont need to trade.
If they dont trade they use up this years first and push next years into late second round.
And still get Ashcroft.

So any trade has to be better value than that
Happy enough for Brisvegas to torch two years of first rounders to get Ashcroft, that's simply what they'll need to do regardless of whether they trade or not.

Pretty sure the last time I looked that there's still another 16 clubs that we can organise trading deals with throughout this years draft or next years draft.

Reactions: 1 user
The points value system is heavily skewed in favour of late picks. It’s a win win for us to get rid of picks in the 30’s and 40’s for a pick in the teens. Taking advantage of this situation is literally the exact reason we stockpiled so many last year.
So now we've stockpiled all of this points value ( equivalent of a pick 4 ) in order to hand Brisvegas the best young kid in the draft and in return we'll get an extra pick in the range of pick 14 to 18 which blows out to being pick 17 to 21 when all the F/S and academy picks are done. Might just as well save all the *smile* around n negotiating n hand them the picks on a silver platter.
Brisvegas need at least another 700 n possibly 1100 points to get Ashcroft using absolutely all their draft points this year, which will chew the crap out of their F1st next year if they don't work a deal. We can work a deal to top them up in exchange for next years 1st pick and thereby save us some value in our points to use for any of the other deals we'll be working on this year. Or we can hand them the necessary 2000 points they'll need for both this years first plus next years first. These picks will both be late in the first round and roughly equal to the 2000 points we give them. But then we'll have bugger all left if we need to sweeten the pot a bit with our player trade deals.

Ok, so Lalor might slip. No need to trade for pick 2.

1 - FOS
3 - Jagga (or Draper if Jagga goes at 2)
6 - Lalor
10 - Berry

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Agreed.
And we will play ball.
But demanding their future first in a trade is counterproductive, its one key reason Bris are trading!
So what exactly are Brisvegas gunna be trading with???????
They've got bugger all points for Ashcroft as it stands, if you then throw this Marshall kid in at around pick 25 then they'll be needing another 600 or more points to get him as well.
Maybe they'll need to be trading out a fairly good young player to hoover up all the draft capital they'll be needing.

Technically they don't "need" to trade but they will lose pretty much all of the next 2 draft hands, if they want Ashcroft and Marshall and decide not to trade. They will most certainly trade and they will get a premium paid for the higher picks. Thats not even in contention. Not sure why TM is making such a big deal out of this.
Because firstly Brisvegas are the ones that will either need to trade or blow up two years worth of drafts to get both Ashcroft and Marshall.
Secondly they'll also already be getting the fat 20% discount on both of these kids.
Thirdly, it's certainly not gunna be high picks they're handing out, they'll be fairly late first round so how much of a premium do you think we should give them for the deal?
Some of the comments I've seen are that we'll give Brisvegas all the points they need n b happy to get their one first round pick back this year. That will equate to a return of about 50% of what we pay out to start with and leave us with nothing left for possible sweeteners in trade deals or for trying to improve our draft position.

So now we've stockpiled all of this points value ( equivalent of a pick 4 ) in order to hand Brisvegas the best young kid in the draft and in return we'll get an extra pick in the range of pick 14 to 18 which blows out to being pick 17 to 21 when all the F/S and academy picks are done. Might just as well save all the *smile* around n negotiating n hand them the picks on a silver platter.
Yep, but you’ve gotta remember it’s the 16 other clubs that lose. Not us.

All other clubs will be jealous that we traded some junk for a decent pick and jealous at Brisbane for getting enough points for a top 2 pick using a low end 1st rounder.

Much better to be a part of this rort than watching from the sidelines.

Reactions: 7 users
Yep, but you’ve gotta remember it’s the 16 other clubs that lose. Not us.

All other clubs will be jealous that we traded some junk for a decent pick and jealous at Brisbane for getting enough points for a top 2 pick using a low end 1st rounder.

Much better to be a part of this rort than watching from the sidelines.
Spot on.

How many times have we previously been the ones on the sidelines watching on and grimacing as clubs on both sides of these deals benefitted?

Good work by Blair last season to put us in a position to get involved this year.

Reactions: 4 users
Because firstly Brisvegas are the ones that will either need to trade or blow up two years worth of drafts to get both Ashcroft and Marshall.
Secondly they'll also already be getting the fat 20% discount on both of these kids.
Thirdly, it's certainly not gunna be high picks they're handing out, they'll be fairly late first round so how much of a premium do you think we should give them for the deal?
Some of the comments I've seen are that we'll give Brisvegas all the points they need n b happy to get their one first round pick back this year. That will equate to a return of about 50% of what we pay out to start with and leave us with nothing left for possible sweeteners in trade deals or for trying to improve our draft position.

Who said anything like trading that sort of amount to them? Seems like you've got a bee in your bonnet and you are determined to keep making the point. Most have been pushing that we are in a strong spot to only pay a small premium on their pick value, purely because we can promise not to bid on Ashcroft, which means they wil likely have to trade a pick from next year into this year which we would pay a premium for. If we got their 1st this year and next year, would you be complaining?