2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Putting the whispers of who we like and who other clubs like , quite possibly we could land Smith , Fos and Smilie with picks 1.3,6

Reactions: 1 users
Just did a quick picks count for the 2000 points Brisvegas will need to add to their late late picks to get Ashcroft when they trade us their first pick that is destined to end up somewhere between 15 and 20 in this years draft
Pick 29 = 653
pick 39 = 446
pick 41 = 412
pick 47 = 316
pick 57 = 182
pick 73 = 9

Total of 2018 points, add that to Brisvegas existing 305 points for their late picks means that Brisvegas could just scrape Ashcroft after a bid at pick 1 using all the points available to them or at pick 2 and still retain their couple of extremely late picks.

Where the *smile* are all these cheap and nasty late draft picks that we have no intention of, or no need to use so that we can give Brisvegas a handout?
Even if we think we're going to get a massive bunch of early picks from our trades there is still a huge allocation of points / picks that we could easily use to either bolster the value of our trade deals or swap for a decent extra pick or two in next years draft.
Far as I'm concerned there needs to be a bloody good sweetener coming back from Brisvegas if they want us to bend over n drop the pants for them.
Dont forget the 20% discount.
And we aint bidding at pick one.
So pick 2 is 2500 less discount so 2000 points.
Which means their f1 is safe and not down rated.
Presumably Marshall attracts a bid in the second round so that uses up all points and their f2 is knocked down whatever they are short.

Normally i'd be keen to use p29, especially in a solid draft.
But that would be our 9th or 10th pick so we wouldnt have the space.
We might trade this 29 to another club first, say Melb's 42 and 45. Gain another 100 points. And then get the lions f2. It will be downgraded so they might be ok with including it.

14 and a f2 for selecting McAuliffe last year

Reactions: 3 users
Putting the whispers of who we like and who other clubs like , quite possibly we could land Smith , Fos and Smilie with picks 1.3,6
I'm hoping North are into the big Smile.
He'll complement their midfield

And at 6 we take Lalor or Reid

Reactions: 13 users
Presumably Marshall attracts a bid in the second round so that uses up all points and their f2 is knocked down whatever they are short.

We might trade this 29 to another club first, say Melb's 42 and 45. Gain another 100 points. And then get the lions f2. It will be downgraded so they might be ok with including it.

Still the trade period to go, good chance Devon Robertson moves on I would think and he would probably get the Lions a second round pick or third at worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Any deal with Bris will have a "handshake" agreement that we won't be screwing them over by bidding. This should ensure they deal with us & that the deal works for us.

Reactions: 4 users
What is slightly odd is the almost quiet criticism at Jagga's performances - 30d and a goal or two and it's he didn't use it very well. Or he cannot kick very far or his possessions don't hurt. He is too skinny, he does not have as much scope to improve.......yet he keeps racking them up at every level and keeps delivering.

Yet others can have less touches, get injured, not be as consistent yet most of the talk is all about their upside. What if he didn't get injured? What if he played a full season? Imagine how much improvement he will have when he gets to a professoinal setup? What about his upside etc etc

I understand there is speculation and crystal balling, I hope we do not overlook the obvious and let someone else take him.

It would be a dream to get Jagga/FOS/Lalor but if we can only get two of them I hope one is Jagga.
To be fair to FOS he had a brilliant year last year. If I recall he was the 3rd or 4th ranked player in the competition as an under-ager. Pretty amazing.

That's why there are such huge opinions of him. His injuries have been mainly impact (broken finger, broken thumb and a killer corkie in his VFL debut for us, as well as the hip flexor probably due to trying to increase his training) and he just hasn't been able to get fit and have a clean run at it.

Jagga has done everything possible and is obviously a super talented and dedicated player. He hasn't put a foot wrong, even taking advice on the chin to be more damaging with his disposals after some (probably unfair) criticisms that he was early Cotch-like just racking up numbers but not making and taking ground.

But there something about FOS. It's amazing really that even after Jagga's dominating year, FOS is still firmly in the equation as No1. That says a lot, not necessarily about Jagga, but about FOS and the fact that many recruiters think he's clearly the best footballer in the draft.

For what it's worth here's my Top 5:

Ashcroft
FOS
Jagga
Draper
Lalor

In that order ? It's just my opinion which is all any of us have until night 1 of the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
20% discount was already allowed for when I added up the points they'd need.
Their F1st can be added to their first this year to pay for all the points value they need to be able to bid on Ashcroft this year. As I said, there needs to be a sweetener off Brisvegas if they want us to help them out to get Ashcroft. A pick near the end of this years first round then another near the end of next years first round would equal approx 2000 to 2300 points, plus allow them another modest saving by us not bidding at pick 1 for Ashcroft equates to pretty similar value. Then I can enjoy death riding them all of next year n hope that pick turns into an early one.
Wherever he gets bid on, if Brisvegas is short of points the make up points will come from devaluing their next pick in the 2025 draft. That would only be F2 if their F1 is already gone to us to help them get Ashcroft.

We could easily be looking at 9 or 10 picks in this years draft already to refresh the list, wouldn't be the first time we've hit the draft hard. Nothing at all guaranteed as to what sweeteners we might need to finalise the deals for Bakes, $hai n Sausage. We might get asked to add a little later pick mayo to get the trades done for early picks off these clubs. Or we could bundle some of those mid draft picks to get a good pick in next years draft.

20% discount was already allowed for when I added up the points they'd need.

Their F1st can be added to their first this year to pay for all the points value they need to be able to bid on Ashcroft this year. As I said, there needs to be a sweetener off Brisvegas if they want us to help them out to get Ashcroft. A pick near the end of this years first round then another near the end of next years first round would equal approx 2000 to 2300 points, plus allow them another modest saving by us not bidding at pick 1 for Ashcroft equates to pretty similar value. Then I can enjoy death riding them all of next year n hope that pick turns into an early one.

Wherever he gets bid on, if Brisvegas is short of points the make up points will come from devaluing their next pick in the 2025 draft. That would only be F2 if their F1 is already gone to us to help them get Ashcroft.

We could easily be looking at 9 or 10 picks in this years draft already to refresh the list, wouldn't be the first time we've hit the draft hard. Nothing at all guaranteed as to what sweeteners we might need to finalise the deals for Bakes, $hai n Sausage. We might get asked to add a little later pick mayo to get the trades done for early picks off these clubs. Or we could bundle some of those mid draft picks to get a good pick in next years draft.
So Brisbane trade their first and future first so they dont have their f1 downgraded?

If they dont trade they are better off.

This guy probably needs a job, or already has one in... I dunno.... data?

If ya can't be bothered we take...

FOS/REID/ARMSTRONG/BERRY/SHANAHAN/
GROSS/DATTOLI/GREGO/BARRAT

Last edited:
  • Love
@caesar mentioned the Flying Viking Alix Tauru on the weekend.

Reckon this guy will come with a bullet in the media as we get closer to the draft.

Had a tough injury run - missed most of last year and then near half this year, but now getting a run at it and showing what he can do.

Gippsland have swung him forward lately with success. He's also a bit of an athletic freak, huge leap, competes well, very good second efforts, tackling etc.

Could end up anywhere at AFL level. Forward, back, wing etc.

At 193cm is an exciting prospect. Could be a real unicorn physically. Shame Gippsland got rolled on the weekend so no more Coates footy.

Would rather us draft The Viking than Armstrong TBH. Just suits modern football better.

Where will he go draft night? Reckon defo top 20, but suspect a few clubs might be enticed with him so could go as high as 12 or so.

Best thing if we draft him we can all wear Viking hats to the match. Much more intimidating than those soft Wizard hats.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
If I'm Brisbane and the Tigers and North are talking about bidding on Ashcroft "so pay up", I'd be reminding clubs about JHF and the certainty that Ashcroft would be traded to Brisbane within 2 years.
And i would just tell the Lions

Do you have any idea how much cap space we have

What is slightly odd is the almost quiet criticism at Jagga's performances - 30d and a goal or two and it's he didn't use it very well. Or he cannot kick very far or his possessions don't hurt. He is too skinny, he does not have as much scope to improve.......yet he keeps racking them up at every level and keeps delivering.

Yet others can have less touches, get injured, not be as consistent yet most of the talk is all about their upside. What if he didn't get injured? What if he played a full season? Imagine how much improvement he will have when he gets to a professoinal setup? What about his upside etc etc

I understand there is speculation and crystal balling, I hope we do not overlook the obvious and let someone else take him.

It would be a dream to get Jagga/FOS/Lalor but if we can only get two of them I hope one is Jagga.
Its amazing the misconception that Jagga gets because of his lack of size.Remember Greg Williams?Was suppose to be to slow for top level football.Hurt factor?Well the kid gets in on ave 30 times per game.That means its out of the oppos hands for those 30.Anything can happen with those 30.Fancy handballing it or kicking it to a team mate sideways in a better position.But some call that stat building.
Anyway we'll get him one way or another.

If we bid on Ashcroft at no.1 and make Brisbane put their bid on him and pay full price it makes our pick no.2 and takes a bit of pressure off whoever that ends up being.
We would and should do it if Brisbane don't give us there 1st rounder.
'Give us pick 16 otherwise we will bend u over for not 1 draft but 2"

So Brisbane trade their first and future first so they dont have their f1 downgraded?

FMD. What the hell are ya on about Dell boy? They need to trade out their first this year and their first next year to equal the value of the points they get given this year that they'll need to bid for Ashcroft.
Either that or they can go begging for an extra 1000 points they'll need to go along with sacrificing their first picks value at the draft anyway on draft night. Or trade out a player for some pick value.

Last edited:
Some of the thoughts on us happily handing over a huge bunch of our so called un needed draft picks to Brisvegas for just their first pick in the draft which will be approx pick 15 to 20 and then not even bidding on Ashcroft are somewhere between ludicrous n *smile* crazy.

Wonder how many people would be in raptures of of happiness, just chubbin up over our trading prowess if..................

We trade Shai to the Frockers for pick 17 nothing else.

We trade Sausage to Mould Coast for pick 20 nothing else.

We trade Bakes to Wet Coke for pick for pick 23 nothing else.

Some people are suggesting we give Brisvegas the approx value of pick 4 in the draft for the return value of a pick in the range of 15 to 20 from Brisvegas just so they can get the best kid in the draft who is already being discounted to them under F/S rules.
There needs to be a massive return sweetener from Brisvegas for the deal to be even remotely acceptable. Their 1st this year and the 1st next year will be roughly equal value. Or perhaps even a player to go along with their 1st pick this year.

Some of the thoughts on us happily handing over a huge bunch of our so called un needed draft picks to Brisvegas for just their first pick in the draft which will be approx pick 15 to 20 and then not even bidding on Ashcroft are somewhere between ludicrous n *smile* crazy.

Wonder how many people would be in raptures of of happiness, just chubbin up over our trading prowess if..................

We trade Shai to the Frockers for pick 17 nothing else.

We trade Sausage to Mould Coast for pick 20 nothing else.

We trade Bakes to Wet Coke for pick for pick 23 nothing else.

Some people are suggesting we give Brisvegas the approx value of pick 4 in the draft for the return value of a pick in the range of 15 to 20 from Brisvegas just so they can get the best kid in the draft who is already being discounted to them under F/S rules.
There needs to be a massive return sweetener from Brisvegas for the deal to be even remotely acceptable. Their 1st this year and the 1st next year will be roughly equal value. Or perhaps even a player to go along with their 1st pick this year.

what is Steve Hocking our list boss in this strange horror fantasy TM?

• Haha
Its amazing the misconception that Jagga gets

I reckon his the most misconceived footballer ever to be discussed on this forum.

I'd go so far as to say as misconceived as Marlion Pickett and Shaun Griggs combined

Last edited:
  • Sad

yeah, it needs to be compared to the alternative which is using their 1st rounder which is going to leave them with a massive points deficit. I am not sure we can solve the whole problem for them as TM points out but we can make it much easier for them.

Next year is going to be very interesting with points only being allocated up to pick 40 (I think that's right ?). To me there is the potential for us to get a couple of extra 2025 2nd rounders from our trade haul that would place us in a very good position to deal with clubs with F/S and academy players in that draft. It is a tactical call about whether we want to spread it over 2 years.

Reactions: 4 users
yeah, it needs to be compared to the alternative which is using their 1st rounder which is going to leave them with a massive points deficit. I am not sure we can solve the whole problem for them as TM points out but we can make it much easier for them.

Next year is going to be very interesting with points only being allocated up to pick 40 (I think that's right ?). To me there is the potential for us to get a couple of extra 2025 2nd rounders from our trade haul that would place us in a very good position to deal with clubs with F/S and academy players in that draft. It is a tactical call about whether we want to spread it over 2 years.
The drastic alternative for Brisbane is they dont trade and simply match the bid.
By.matching they spend their first pick this year and their deficit is used to push next years first further back