2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

What is slightly odd is the almost quiet criticism at Jagga's performances - 30d and a goal or two and it's he didn't use it very well. Or he cannot kick very far or his possessions don't hurt. He is too skinny, he does not have as much scope to improve.......yet he keeps racking them up at every level and keeps delivering.

Yet others can have less touches, get injured, not be as consistent yet most of the talk is all about their upside. What if he didn't get injured? What if he played a full season? Imagine how much improvement he will have when he gets to a professoinal setup? What about his upside etc etc

I understand there is speculation and crystal balling, I hope we do not overlook the obvious and let someone else take him.

It would be a dream to get Jagga/FOS/Lalor but if we can only get two of them I hope one is Jagga.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
No, but...
Short answer is we're well ahead.
We have 2500 odd points after pick 30.
Next would be Melbin with 1700.

But Bris could ignore us if we try to ream them. For example they could trade players for Melbs picks. Or trade their f2 and f3 for picks.

So BL have options. We are the best one, if we play it well
I say we do the handshake that benefits us rather than the good thing for the competition forcing Bris to pay up. You don't stockpile points to then burn your customer(s). BUT if we can find another buyer. F em!

Reactions: 1 users
What is slightly odd is the almost quiet criticism at Jagga's performances - 30d and a goal or two and it's he didn't use it very well. Or he cannot kick very far or his possessions don't hurt. He is too skinny, he does not have as much scope to improve.......yet he keeps racking them up at every level and keeps delivering.

Yet others can have less touches, get injured, not be as consistent yet most of the talk is all about their upside. What if he didn't get injured? What if he played a full season? Imagine how much improvement he will have when he gets to a professoinal setup? What about his upside etc etc

I understand there is speculation and crystal balling, I hope we do not overlook the obvious and let someone else take him.

It would be a dream to get Jagga/FOS/Lalor but if we can only get two of them I hope one is Jagga.

I have very little doubt our recruiting team will base their decisions on empirical evidence.

if the bookies offered a market for who Richmond will take at 1,

I would sell all my possessions and invest the lot.

Michael Tuck had a similar build to Jagga & went ok. If we pick him, I’ll claim him as the next Michael Tuck. I’d be ok with 400 games, 7 premierships and captaincy. 😀

Reactions: 6 users
Finn goes to ground a bit. Doesn't evade tackles cleanly. I'm yet to be convinced.

A few autumn colts and fillies didn't live up to expectations on the weekend, either. Some late maturers have developed more over the winter.

If we bid on Ashcroft at no.1 and make Brisbane put their bid on him and pay full price it makes our pick no.2 and takes a bit of pressure off whoever that ends up being.

Reactions: 3 users
Changing tact a bit. Bailey Smith

Bulldogs are seeking a good pick for him. Geelong have pick 16 and not much else

Best option is that can’t reach a deal and we get him in the psd. That is what dreams are made off and we wouldn’t even look like the bad buy

Option 2
Do we help the cats. Pick 9 for their 16 and f1 ?

Reactions: 2 users
Changing tact a bit. Bailey Smith

Bulldogs are seeking a good pick for him. Geelong have pick 16 and not much else

Best option is that can’t reach a deal and we get him in the psd. That is what dreams are made off and we wouldn’t even look like the bad buy

Option 2
Do we help the cats. Pick 9 for their 16 and f1 ?
Yes to the PSD but won’t happen.,

And *smile* no to helping the Cats.

Reactions: 5 users
that Oakleigh No.7 even dominates other blokes' highlights packages?

theres no stand out this year though, so he could still be there at our pick 36.
He might even slide to our 1st rookie pick.

Reactions: 1 user
We trade late picks for pick 14.
Torch the late picks for someone with a higher chance of being elite.
Yep!

Your proposal is to be involved in some future possible trades that havent yet eventuated. Its wishing and hoping.
And most likely doesnt happen.
And at best could give us more picks in the 30s and 40s.
Nup.
Just did a quick picks count for the 2000 points Brisvegas will need to add to their late late picks to get Ashcroft when they trade us their first pick that is destined to end up somewhere between 15 and 20 in this years draft
Pick 29 = 653
pick 39 = 446
pick 41 = 412
pick 47 = 316
pick 57 = 182
pick 73 = 9

Total of 2018 points, add that to Brisvegas existing 305 points for their late picks means that Brisvegas could just scrape Ashcroft after a bid at pick 1 using all the points available to them or at pick 2 and still retain their couple of extremely late picks.

Where the *smile* are all these cheap and nasty late draft picks that we have no intention of, or no need to use so that we can give Brisvegas a handout?
Even if we think we're going to get a massive bunch of early picks from our trades there is still a huge allocation of points / picks that we could easily use to either bolster the value of our trade deals or swap for a decent extra pick or two in next years draft.
Far as I'm concerned there needs to be a bloody good sweetener coming back from Brisvegas if they want us to bend over n drop the pants for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only problem then will be Tasmania and their fist full of top end picks devaluing any other club's picks
Hasn't the AFL already stated that certain of the establishment picks that get handed to Taswegia must be utilised to trade in experienced players because the AFL want Taswegia to be reasonably competitive right from the start and not just easy meat for every club in the comp to beat up on.